Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

OFFICIAL: 3D Printed Parts Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OFFICIAL: 3D Printed Parts Thread

Hey guys, so 3D printing is a game changer for the car industry!

I have been printing my own parts for a while now, and I'd like to create a thread so the community can share their ideas and work!

I'll start:

3D Printed Shift Collar
This is designed from ASA plastic. ASA is a better alternative to ABS. It is highly heat resistant and UV resistant. I know our interiors aren't exposed to the sun like our exteriors are, but what's the point of designing something if you don't overengineer the crap out of it??? I designed this to replace the broken OEM shift boot collar, which breaks eventually. I designed it to look cleaner though. It sits 1 cm higher than the OEM piece for a cleaner look. It doesn't look like the shift boot is sagging anymore!

3D Printed 2-Piece Shift **** (Type A)
This is also made of ASA plastic for uber UV resistance, even though it really doesn't need it. It fits perfectly! I printed and designed this thing over and over just to get the fit right! The medial section of your palm fits perfectly along the bottom contour of the shift ****, and the lateral section of your palm and thumb fits perfectly over the gentle curved top end.

I worked really hard on printing and reprinting just to get the finish perfect. Some people like to sand or use chemical reagents to smooth out their 3D printed parts - WHY? I think of 3D printing as an art, so why hide your beautifully tuned print by smoothing out its surface? I wanted to get it perfect and show off the 3D print finish, kind of like how someone would want to show off their carbon fiber parts.

This thing weighs about 100g. I have a stainless steel coupling nut, 45mm in length running through the middle of this thing, which gives it its weight. It feels REALLY solid and the long coupling nut is more than 2x the length of the threads on the shifter. The coupling nut also gives the shift **** its strength. You literally cannot break this thing, even if you lay it on the ground and hit it with a hammer. It will crack, but it won't break from the base!! Because the weight comes from the coupling nut that runs thru the middle, along the axis of the shifter, the FEEL of this is very direct, yet smooth. I dislike heavy ***** because they feel sloppy. This is heavier than the Spoon and Mugen *****, its still 100g, not as heavy as a Skunk 2 ****, but quite hefty - perfect in my opinion.

This is a 2-piece design. The **** utilizes a lock nut to hold it in place. There's a 2nd piece that slips over the locking nut, and gives a clean, slick look!

Old 01-25-2019, 09:09 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: OFFICIAL: 3D Printed Parts Thread

3D printing is incredible, but you're really not utilizing it for something that it would be superior for. Either of those parts could be manufactured on a lathe in a fraction of the time. However, 3D printing can be easily superior to material-removal processes when it comes to highly complex parts (as long as the 3D printer holds a good level of accuracy under a high resolution).
Old 01-25-2019, 10:32 PM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Dude that shift **** is amazing.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a thread in the EF section where someone is working on a modded center console and 3D printed cup holders. Looks good.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Can you print me some flat caps for SSR’s?
Old 02-27-2019, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
3D printing is incredible, but you're really not utilizing it for something that it would be superior for. Either of those parts could be manufactured on a lathe in a fraction of the time. However, 3D printing can be easily superior to material-removal processes when it comes to highly complex parts (as long as the 3D printer holds a good level of accuracy under a high resolution).
Are you kidding?

OP, good stuff so far!