Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-acura-28/)
-   -   Off-Road Honda Pilot (FEEDBACK & SUGGESTIONS WANTED!) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-acura-28/off-road-honda-pilot-feedback-suggestions-wanted-3235065/)

Boudreaux97 01-08-2015 03:06 PM

Off-Road Honda Pilot (FEEDBACK & SUGGESTIONS WANTED!)

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4x4 that I've put countless hours into. I've really been wanting some feedback on what I've done and how it looks. As far as what I've done to it..It has, K&N Cold air intake, Bf Goodrich All-terrain (245/75/r16), a painted OEM grill, custom tinted headlights and taillights, westin bull bar for a Honda Ridgeline, LED pods mounted on the bull bar, a 32in LED lightbar mounted in the lower grill, Custom painted rims, 15% tint on all windows, and painted rearview mirrors. A lot more planned for this build but wanting some opinions..and for your musical pleasure a 12in Rockford Fosgate P2 Subwoofer with a 750 watt JL Slash amp. FEEDBACK AND SUGGESTIONS MUCH APPRECIATED!!

r_Senik 01-08-2015 03:36 PM

Re: Off-Road Honda Pilot (FEEDBACK & SUGGESTIONS WANTED!)

looks good, other than the tint on the headlight. id raise it a little.

Caddiman 01-08-2015 04:13 PM

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/atta...sema-pilot.jpg

Boudreaux97 01-08-2015 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by r_Senik (Post 50147143)
looks good, other than the tint on the headlight. id raise it a little.

A lift is definitely in the plans, what would you do instead of the tint? I definitely don't want the Orange so I might try opening them up and taking out the Orange plastic pieces.

Boudreaux97 01-08-2015 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Caddiman (Post 50147215)

Not a big fan of that pilot, other than the fact I want a roof rack.

r_Senik 01-09-2015 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Boudreaux97 (Post 50147316)
A lift is definitely in the plans, what would you do instead of the tint? I definitely don't want the Orange so I might try opening them up and taking out the Orange plastic pieces.

i like oem look, but taking the headlight apart is not a bad idea. i hope it works out, and looking forward to the build.

TheMuffinMan 01-11-2015 07:37 PM

Having owned an '03 Pilot in that color (looks like Alabaster Silver) I can say I'm not a huge fan.

Painting the mirrors immediately makes it appear like a "DX" trim. The smoked lights don't work well with the silver body, neither do the black wheels.

Get yourself the side-sill bars (they come in black ovals), I got OEM ones for $120 shipped on eBay awhile back. And if you want it to be aggressive check out the lift kits.

toyomatt84 01-11-2015 08:57 PM

If I'm honest, the only thing I'd even look at on your modifications list is this: Bf Goodrich All-terrain (245/75/r16)

The rest is all not to my liking. But, this is your car, and you should be doing what you like with it. I would definitely consider a small 1.5 to 3" lift (if at all possible), and beefing up the suspension and drivetrain components to suit larger tires. Then maybe adapting a locker to the rear, and trimming the panels to clear the tires at full compression.

Caddiman 01-14-2015 11:41 AM

Well said Toyo.

When I had that lifted CRV, I just couldn't justify building bumpers for it...for what??? a good set of tires and call it a day...it aint no rock crawler...trust me, I tried and failed miserably..haha

My Tacoma was in the shop so I decided to go mess around........failed!! haha

toyomatt84 01-14-2015 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Caddiman (Post 50156443)
Well said Toyo.

When I had that lifted CRV, I just couldn't justify building bumpers for it...for what??? a good set of tires and call it a day...it aint no rock crawler...trust me, I tried and failed miserably..haha

My Tacoma was in the shop so I decided to go mess around........failed!! haha

Yeah, my F-350 isn't the greatest off-road yet either... thanks mainly to an open rear diff. and not quite optimum suspension components (getting there). It'll be fairly decent for an 8,600lb dually though. :)

Boudreaux97 01-15-2015 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan (Post 50151623)
Having owned an '03 Pilot in that color (looks like Alabaster Silver) I can say I'm not a huge fan.
Painting the mirrors immediately makes it appear like a "DX" trim. The smoked lights don't work well with the silver body, neither do the black wheels.
Get yourself the side-sill bars (they come in black ovals), I got OEM ones for $120 shipped on eBay awhile back. And if you want it to be aggressive check out the lift kits.

I mean personally I do like all the black I've put on it because I am going for the murdered out look. Plus I wasn't a big fan of the color matched mirrors or chrome rims so I wanted them to stand out. But I do appreciate the input. I do plan on having a custom lift built for this because money won't be a problem. At that point the side bars will serve a purpose to climb up into it. As of now it would take away ground clearance.

Boudreaux97 01-15-2015 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by toyomatt84 (Post 50151700)
If I'm honest, the only thing I'd even look at on your modifications list is this: Bf Goodrich All-terrain (245/75/r16)

The rest is all not to my liking. But, this is your car, and you should be doing what you like with it. I would definitely consider a small 1.5 to 3" lift (if at all possible), and beefing up the suspension and drivetrain components to suit larger tires. Then maybe adapting a locker to the rear, and trimming the panels to clear the tires at full compression.

I appreciate the input. When I say offroad Pilot that can only mean so much, because of its lack of off-road capability. I'm simply trying to give it an Offroad look when in reality it's better off on pavement. I do plan on new coil springs and suspension components. The customs shop around here has said they can build me a lift adding on to the existing 2in front 1in back that is made for the pilot. My goal is about 4-5 inches all around.

toyomatt84 01-15-2015 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Boudreaux97 (Post 50158736)
I appreciate the input. When I say offroad Pilot that can only mean so much, because of its lack of off-road capability. I'm simply trying to give it an Offroad look when in reality it's better off on pavement. I do plan on new coil springs and suspension components. The customs shop around here has said they can build me a lift adding on to the existing 2in front 1in back that is made for the pilot. My goal is about 4-5 inches all around.

I would invest some time researching potential lockers for the differentials. It's going to make a difference if you actually do take it off-road.

Boudreaux97 01-15-2015 07:20 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...1ed933ece5.jpg

This is how it sits next to my friend's 2in leveled Silverado on 35in Trail Grapplers.

Boudreaux97 01-15-2015 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by toyomatt84 (Post 50158738)
I would invest some time researching potential lockers for the differentials. It's going to make a difference if you actually do take it off-road.

I mean I'm not saying I don't go Offroad because I most certainly do. I actually ran it so hard I blew the VTEC chip and it was 750$ to replace. So of course I'm more hesitant now and more careful offroad especially when turning VSA off. And after I lift it would be when I concider locking differentials. Until I have more ground clearance it's not a huge difference, but definitely an idea I hadn't comceidered before..but now I am thanks!

toyomatt84 01-15-2015 07:31 PM

I'm dying for a locker in my truck at the moment, since it's the only thing really limiting in the deep stuff. :( I had a Detroit locker in my old FJ40 many many years ago, and still miss it. Maybe a locker for a Toyota 8" or Dana 35 might be adaptable for the rear of the Pilot... hmm....

bbarbulo 01-17-2015 03:21 AM

it's not bad, but i would rather see the original headlights and tail lights. i can understand wanting the offroad 'look' i guess; but i don't get what the 'murdered out' part has to do with offroading? especially on a silver car. but matters of taste aside, i had a 2003 pathfinder up until this week. similar challenges exist - the lift can be accomplished in several ways:

1. coil springs or spacers up to the limit of the full extension of the shock.
2. body lift via strut tower spacers
3. subframe drop (massive lift possible, steering shaft changes necessary)
4. solid axle swaps

In your shoes, I'd go for #2. It is cheap, safe, and doesn't ruin ride quality which is important if you just want the look and a little more clearance.

Caddiman 01-17-2015 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by toyomatt84 (Post 50157424)
Yeah, my F-350 isn't the greatest off-road yet either... thanks mainly to an open rear diff. and not quite optimum suspension components (getting there). It'll be fairly decent for an 8,600lb dually though. :)

Mmmmmmm, Dually!! Arggghhhhh. (homer simpson voice) ;)

Originally Posted by toyomatt84 (Post 50158756)
I'm dying for a locker in my truck at the moment, since it's the only thing really limiting in the deep stuff. :( I had a Detroit locker in my old FJ40 many many years ago, and still miss it. Maybe a locker for a Toyota 8" or Dana 35 might be adaptable for the rear of the Pilot... hmm....

I hear ya man. Im running open/open in my Tacoma and it sucks at times. I really need to invest in a rear locker soon....then Straight Axle that biatch! =)

CD8 01-17-2015 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Boudreaux97 (Post 50158742)
I actually ran it so hard I blew the VTEC chip and it was 750$ to replace.

Wait, what?

Boudreaux97 01-17-2015 06:53 PM

Whether by coincidence or not, after I ran it really hard up an 100 yard, muddy, steep hill with VSA off the next day my check engine came on and the car began to shake. I took it in, and they replaced the VTEC computer chip. It's been fine ever since.

Brice.Hayden 01-17-2015 07:48 PM

You should try and get some larger wheels. 17 or 18" with bigger tires. Will give you better ground clearance.

CD8 01-17-2015 08:26 PM

Shows how much i know, never heard of a vtec computer chip

Boudreaux97 01-18-2015 02:42 PM

6000K HID's installed in headlights and fogs.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...73d3e33790.jpg

Boudreaux97 01-18-2015 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by bbarbulo (Post 50160981)
it's not bad, but i would rather see the original headlights and tail lights. i can understand wanting the offroad 'look' i guess; but i don't get what the 'murdered out' part has to do with offroading? especially on a silver car. but matters of taste aside, i had a 2003 pathfinder up until this week. similar challenges exist - the lift can be accomplished in several ways:

1. coil springs or spacers up to the limit of the full extension of the shock.
2. body lift via strut tower spacers
3. subframe drop (massive lift possible, steering shaft changes necessary)
4. solid axle swaps

In your shoes, I'd go for #2. It is cheap, safe, and doesn't ruin ride quality which is important if you just want the look and a little more clearance.

I appreciate the info man! As it turns out there actually is a 2in front 1in rear suspension lift that Readylift makes for the Pilot. That will definitely be my 1st investment in that area. After that i will be going with option #2. Im looking to put on about 3-4in of body lift to allow clearance for at least 33in. M/T tires. As for the murdered out look, well I'm in high school and all my buddies have big ole' trucks and we all murder out our stuff because the cops around here don't care (i live in Georgia) and i like the way it looks but after i get the lift i plan to get my own set of custom built headlight and tail lights that will be similar to stock.

Boudreaux97 01-18-2015 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by CD8 (Post 50161978)
Shows how much i know, never heard of a vtec computer chip

Hey man I'm right there with ya! I had no clue what it was until something went wrong. :lmao: