Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

OEM Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit for my EK!! Pictures!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit for my EK!! Pictures!!

UPDATED pictures on the bottom of this page.

Well, I got tired of the glare and scatter from my HID Plus SPW 4800K high/low HID kit, so I decided to do something a little different. I purchased a set of BMW Bi-Xenon HID's off of Ebay for $335 shipped from Finland! It came complete with brand new bi-xenon projectors, ballast, bulbs, and wiring harnesses.

I decided to paint the projector housing black, because I wasn't too fond of the silver metal finish. I also obtained a second set of headlight housings from RoaringTurtle, thanks! Anyways, I baked the headlight housings and popped them open. I took out the reflective housing, and dremeled the back away, so that the projector could fit in behind. I decided to mount the projector to the reflector so I can still utilize the stock aiming points of the headlight. Here are some pictures of the projector mounted to the back of the reflector. (The reflector housing is VERY thick, so there are no worries of it cracking from the weight of the projector.)

After that I put back the lights together and sealed and siliconed it up. As far as wiring, it was extremely easy, as you just tap off the wiring harness. there are only 4 wires, power and ground for low beams, and power and ground for high beams. So with that all wired up, it was time to light them up and aim them! Initial aiming was way off, one side was really low and the other really high. But after correctly aiming them, they are really nice!! Here are some pictures of them lit up.

Overall, I am EXTREMELY happy with them. The cutoff line is amazing, and the high beam feature is even better. These lights light up the road very evenly, with no scatter or "hot spots." For $335, I am way more impressed than my $420 SPW kit. The only downside was that it took me 2 COMPLETE days to do this installation, but I can tell you, it was worth EVERY minute!

btw. They are 4100k HID's, not no 6000k mumbo jumbo.

edit: I will try to take more pictures tonight of the cutoff line and the light output on the floor.

Modified by Airbag Club at 12:10 AM 9/8/2003
Old 09-07-2003, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OEM Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit for my EK!! Pictures!! (Airbag Club)

why no beam pattern pics?
Old 09-07-2003, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OEM Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit for my EK!! Pictures!! (MTK Kommander)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MTK Kommander &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why no beam pattern pics? </TD></TR></TABLE>

i'll get those later tonight I just got them up and running last night.

they still need to be correctly aimed.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FAWKING BADD *** I want to do that someday to my headlights. Major Props man
Old 09-07-2003, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Airbag Club &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they still need to be correctly aimed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

here you go my friend..
http://www.autooptiks.com/aiming.html

and i wanna see pics with the highs activated too
Old 09-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MTK Kommander &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

here you go my friend..
http://www.autooptiks.com/aiming.html

and i wanna see pics with the highs activated too </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, i was going to use that aiming technique. as for the high's, i need to rewire them, because of the way H4 bulbs are. When you high beam it turns one filament off and the other on. Right now my high beams only work when I hold them, but when I click them on, everything turns off. I need to figure out a way to wire them up. I was thinking of using a diode.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Airbag Club &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea, i was going to use that aiming technique. as for the high's, i need to rewire them, because of the way H4 bulbs are. When you high beam it turns one filament off and the other on. Right now my high beams only work when I hold them, but when I click them on, everything turns off. I need to figure out a way to wire them up. I was thinking of using a diode.</TD></TR></TABLE>

those places that sell the projectors for the civics usually sell seperate wiring harnesses that allow your high beams to work in conjunction with the low beams.. that would solve your problem right there..
Old 09-07-2003, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it looks like you need a shield to go around the projector inside the headlight housing. seems liek alot of light is leaking out. would look better and push more light out the projector lense. nice write up.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OEM Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit for my EK!! Pictures!! (enrique)

wow, those look really nice. hurry on the light pattern pictures!
Old 09-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OEM Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit for my EK!! Pictures!! (enrique)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by enrique &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it looks like you need a shield to go around the projector inside the headlight housing. seems liek alot of light is leaking out. would look better and push more light out the projector lense. nice write up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i know, i didn't make a shroud for the projector. it is alright though, i am extremely satisfied with the results. i can live with the slight scatter, as it is much better than my spw h4 aftermarket kit.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MTK Kommander &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

those places that sell the projectors for the civics usually sell seperate wiring harnesses that allow your high beams to work in conjunction with the low beams.. that would solve your problem right there.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i am going to try working with diodes for the high beams.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet... Do your projectors create the nice purplish/blue effect like the BMW's and Audi's?
Old 09-07-2003, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Airbag Club &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea i know, i didn't make a shroud for the projector. it is alright though, i am extremely satisfied with the results. i can live with the slight scatter, as it is much better than my spw h4 aftermarket kit. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i did the same thing.. my 3 series projectors didnt come with that chrome piece so i have a bit of light scatter too, but its mostly straight up in the air so it doesnt ever affect oncoming traffic..
Old 09-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks tiite airbag club
Old 09-07-2003, 06:20 PM

Default Re: OEM Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit for my EK!! Pictures!! (cre18)

so im gonna get some hids for my ed hatch. think ill need to drill a big hole like that? or do i need to get ricey *** projector housings?
Old 09-07-2003, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Airbag club,

Hey, i'm the other guy with the hella bi-xenons retro'd in

Anyway, i've got the same problem with my high's staying on with the lows. I do have aftermarket projector housings as well as harness, but i didnt get a diode with it so the highs/lows would stay on. Any idea what diode or part number we need?

Right now i just ghetto rigged a separate switch incabin to turn on my highs (the highbeam syllinoid)...

Any ideas yet?
Old 09-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OEM Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit for my EK!! Pictures!! (Type-Rizzle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Type-Rizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sweet... Do your projectors create the nice purplish/blue effect like the BMW's and Audi's?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, at certain angles near the cutoff line, they do glare purple/blue.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OEM Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit for my EK!! Pictures!! (ill_take_one)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ill_take_one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Airbag club,

Hey, i'm the other guy with the hella bi-xenons retro'd in

Anyway, i've got the same problem with my high's staying on with the lows. I do have aftermarket projector housings as well as harness, but i didnt get a diode with it so the highs/lows would stay on. Any idea what diode or part number we need?

Right now i just ghetto rigged a separate switch incabin to turn on my highs (the highbeam syllinoid)...

Any ideas yet? </TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm still working on figuring out the high beams. still thinking of using diodes (one way current switch). but right now, i am in the process of looking for a better way to mount and protect my ballast from water. i am also trying to make something to cover the hole on the backside of my headlight housing. i am trying to protect water and moisture from entering my headlight housings.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are the latest pictures that I took. I know I know..the bulbs are different colors, that is because one of an Osram bulb, and the other is a Philips bulb. It came that way when I got the kit, but right now it doesn't bother me, since they are both bright. Here are the pictures, enjoy.

Low Beams.

High Beams.

Projection

3-Wheelin' up Cala Foods
Old 09-07-2003, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have been really interested in doing this to my car as well...just a couple of questions though...how did you mount (retro-fit ) the projector onto the stock headlight? and when it comes to aiming the lights...are you adjusting the headlights or the projectors? TIA

btw, are those stern aguzzes?
Old 09-07-2003, 11:16 PM

damn....that is very clean!!!....looks really bright!
Old 09-08-2003, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OEM Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit for my EK!! Pictures!! (whoDAT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whoDAT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have been really interested in doing this to my car as well...just a couple of questions though...how did you mount (retro-fit ) the projector onto the stock headlight? and when it comes to aiming the lights...are you adjusting the headlights or the projectors? TIA

btw, are those stern aguzzes?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i took apart the stock headlights and dremeled away the back of the reflector part and the back of the housing. i then made brackets that bolted on to the housing trim of the projector and to the reflector housing. as for aiming, i can still use the stock adjusting points, that is why i mounted the projector to the reflector housing. i can still adjust side to side and up and down.

and yes they are stern aguzze's.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sweeeet man, bring it down here to Starbucks...haha
Old 09-08-2003, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OEM Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit for my EK!! Pictures!! ([626]JDM-b16a-EF9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by [626 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">JDM-b16a-EF9]sweeeet man, bring it down here to Starbucks...haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

You guys still kick it there? Which nights? I'm up in Norcal right now, but will be going back to Socal on the 22nd, since I start school on the 25th. Anyways, i'll hit you up about that later...I'm down to kick it.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:35 AM
New User

great job on the retrofit ryan
those headlights look familiar

im interested in seeing what the entire front end looks like in the day
post some pics if you have them

Quick Reply: OEM Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit for my EK!! Pictures!!