Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

HELP! Is it necessary to rust-proof and paint the inside of new fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2001, 02:04 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Is it necessary to rust-proof and paint the inside of new fenders?

Hey everyone,

I just bought 2 brand new aftermarket replacement fenders for my GS-R. Anyhow, my plan was to put them on the car myself, and then goto a paint shop and have them paint the outside of the fenders to match the car.

Well, I read in the Acura Body Repair manual that new fenders should be painted on the INSIDE and sprayed with some rust-proof chemical before they're mounted and the outside is sprayed. My aftermarket fenders come with some black paint on them (obviously bare steel would be bad, it's probably there just to protect the steel and not for show as is), but would that constitute enough protection? If I don't rust proof the inside, am I gonna have rusted fenders after a few winters? What do you guys recommend?

Also, I should request the paint shop to sand off this black paint before they primer the car right? I'm so confused. My perfect plan was to save some dough by having the fenders on the car mounted and having a shop just paint it. (Besides, I thought it'd be a fun weekend thing) But now it looks like I'll have to pay to have them prep the inside and mount it too ( I don't see how they could color match without the fenders already being on the car) ...

Ok, Honda Techies.. I'm all ears. All ideas are welcomed. I'm in NYC. The car is stock 94 black. If anybody has any good places they can personally recommend I'd appreciate that too. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!

- 94GSRNewbie