Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

Clear coat fading carbon fiber hood to get that clean carbon fiber look back or paint it to match th

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear coat fading carbon fiber hood to get that clean carbon fiber look back or paint it to match th

Carbon Fiber Hood is fading and starting to look like ****. So I was thinking of wet sanding it and taking the hood to One Day to have it clearcoated. However, I've gotten some suggestions to paint the carbon fiber hood to color match my car. I'm leaning towards keeping the carbon fiber look. What do you guys think? Vote.

Modified by iluvjasmine at 6:58 AM 2/2/2004
Old 02-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Banned

Since I was the person who told you to paint match we all know where my vote is!
Old 02-01-2004, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clear coat fading carbon fiber hood to get that clean carbon fiber look back or paint it to matc

If your car has dark paint I would clear coat it.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clear coat fading carbon fiber hood to get that clean carbon fiber look back or paint it to matc

my car's color is black.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:43 PM

cf is the SHIZIET especially on black
Old 02-05-2004, 08:35 PM

color match it, keep it clean....IMO
Old 02-05-2004, 08:42 PM
UPS

Default Re: Clear coat fading hood to get that clean carbon fiber look back or paint it to match th (iluvja

Carbon fiber on black is cool. You might tint it darker so it has a deep color but still carbon fiber.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clear coat fading hood to get that clean carbon fiber look back or paint it to match th (iluvja

What kinda hood in it. It's fadin? Have you tried to cut and buff it. Our gel coat has a built in gloss so it will wax quite easily.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i took it to One Day and the guy there sad whatever was happening to it was happening from under the hood and not from the surface so there was very little they could do. He did try buffing but ts still there. i think it might be time for a new hood. Btw. the hood is a cheap *** hood that I purchased a long time ago when Carbon fiber hoods first came out.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ahh ok, just tryin to help. PM me if you have any questions.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm guessing is a gel coat. try a marines gel coat polish by 3M. i used it and took all the "fading" look away, works great
Old 02-05-2004, 11:46 PM

I have the same problem with my Fiber Images hood. We tried waxing, and when that did not work we wet sanded it and buffed it. Still, NOTHING! I believe it is under the gel coat. Tried calling FI, but they do not get back to me. I can understand it with a cheap $200 CF hood, but Real Fiber Images. Then to have shitty customer service on top of that,
I know there will be a ton of people to say FI is the ****, but in my case, it is not the case.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I woudl suggest painting half of it to match the car color or Clear coating the whole thing over.

Old 02-06-2004, 01:37 PM

Was going to clear coat it because my friend works at a body shop and can do it for just the price of materials, but he said that you could still see it since the clear is transparent. I might have to just paint it white, but the CF matches my black mirrors, side moldings etc... Thanks for advice
Old 02-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would paint it body color. Because i never got into making my car look like it was in an accident and i never got it respryed
Old 02-06-2004, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here it is.. try this stuff. it worked great for me. read the description.. notice it says gelcoat

http://products3.3m.com/catalo..._html

Old 02-07-2004, 12:04 AM

Thanks for the pic and link Kid. I might try this stuff, but since it seems that our problems are deeper down, I am not too optomistic in it working.

Most of the problems people have with fading and other issues deal with the surface, but I have already tried working on the surface and even wet sanding and it did not help one bit.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

then good luck
Old 02-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kid1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here it is.. try this stuff. it worked great for me. read the description.. notice it says gelcoat

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yah my problems aren't on the surface but within. its kinda weird how this could have happened. it looks like weird little spots right before the fibers. you can't see it at certain angles but at other angles it is such an eyesore. where do i get this stuff though. i'll try anything. im desparate

where do i get this stuff at. i clicked on the link but i think it just tells about the product. thanx.

Modified by iluvjasmine at 1:51 AM 2/8/2004
Old 02-07-2004, 04:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iluvjasmine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yah my problems aren't on the surface but within. its kinda weird how this could have happened. it looks like weird little spots right before the fibers. you can'e see it at certain angles but at other angles it is such an eyesore. where do i get this stuff though. i'll try anything. im desparate

where do i get this stuff at. i clicked on the link but i think it just tells about the product. thanx.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe I have seen this at a professional paint store or even at Home Depot etc..
Yeah, from certain anges people say my hood is SICK, but from other angles it looks like ***.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kid1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here it is.. try this stuff. it worked great for me. read the description.. notice it says gelcoat

</TD></TR></TABLE>

has anyone else tried this stuff?
Old 02-08-2004, 10:31 AM

color match it for the sleeper look...
if you have a CF lip, then just get the hood clearcoated
Old 02-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Paint it. Less attention, looks better, and matches.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JMS JT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Paint it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm with you...
Old 06-15-2004, 05:06 PM

I used this today on my oxidized hood. Worked well.

Although I'm not sure if you should use it regularly. Maybe something milder for monthly or regular applications. 3M 9006

Quick Reply: Clear coat fading carbon fiber hood to get that clean carbon fiber look back or paint it to match th