Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

1997 Civic Hatch: My to do list.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Civic Hatch: My to do list.

I have gone through a plethora of vehicles over the years. I have owned everything thing from BMW to Toyota's. I refused to get a Civic, or a Honda for that matter due to the stereotype. Alas, I broke down and traded my 06 Suzuki GSXR 600 for a slammed Civic hatch with a B16. Being a complete Honda noob, I was unaware of the problems it had. The exhaust was complete garbage, it has a few wiring issues, and all the cheap routes taken. However, I love the car for what it is.

ALL UPDATES WILL BE IN THE FIRST POST. THIS IS MY LITTLE BLOG SINCE I AM KEEPING THIS WRONG WHEEL DRIVE THINGAMABOB

2012 Summer plans:
have Hondata S300 installed in the P30-A00
B16B cam shafts
Toda Cam gears
Performer X Intake Manifold
O

Here is Day1.

Many months later:
I enjoyed how low it was, but I hated the stance. So after trading the wheels, I raised the car up a few inches and bought a cat back exhaust in the process. The HKS Hi-Power was really hard to find and it sounds great so far. Not too ricey like the Skunk2.

After months of title issues, I finally got the car under my name. The car isn't driven all that much if any. I will take it out on the weekends but as of now, she sits at home. After I splurged more than usual on family for Christmas, I bought a Seibon carbon fiber OEM hood. There was a dimple on the original hood and was bugging me. I also purchased a front lip (EBAY) and Spoon style spoiler and installed them a few weeks ago.

Yes I know. I am a pure ricer. I have yet to really touch the engine and suspension. I just bought a load of interior parts such as Bucket seats, harnesses, harness bar, Nardi wheel, NRG hub, NRG quick release. I am going to take my friend's advice and drive it and change what I feel is needed.
I am pretty sure I will need to rebuild the engine within a year or so. It is smoking when I get on the throttle. I am hoping the new test pipe and the second oxygen sensor installed willhelp the issue. Last guy used and OBD2 harness with only 1 O2 sensor. The new pipe will have an O2 bung so that I may use 2. I am debating on going with a high quality LS-Vtech or keep the B16. I believe the K series is too mainstream and I want to stay away from it. It is a FANTASTIC engine but everyone is going K-series.

I have also purchased a PIC master bearing set. I know I want to go with an ASR 24mm rear swear bar, but as for as the rest of the suspension, I am a tad ignorant in this area. I have a good idea as to what I want but I want to heavily track the car and go from there if possible. I did purchase a rear disc brake set from a user on Honda-Tech, so I am hoping that will help a little.

Here is where I am at now. As many of you already know.

I make very good money for my age. However, I have a crap load of bills thanks to an ex. So money is somewhat tight. I am trying to build up my savings (FINALLY) and keep my account at a specific number. So after a few months, I should be able to save a little more and continue to modify the car in the right direction.

26 Feb 12.
Well most of my recent purchase have arrived and the rest will be here early this week. The next few days I will be prepping the car for the installation of the new components. A lot of cleaning is needing to be done! Will be removing those horrid speaker wires.

03 Mar 12
(Still waiting on Sparco for some hardware. Also my Nardi wheel should be in soon. The Corbeau harnesses will be in once the bar is installed.)
After spending 12 hours of fighting a seat, cutting carpet, and raging over hour; I finally made some progress. Here is the result of today's labor.

I KNOW! I NEED TO VACUUM!

8 Mar 12

After work I thought it would be a good time to install my steering wheel and hub. Tis a real Nardi ordered from WekSos.

11 Mar 12

I completed the interior and replaced the HKS test pipe with a Megan racing resonator with a new OBX O2 sensor. I have an engine scanner on the way to help me figure what all is causing my CEL to be on. I have also ordered 2 new Timken front wheel bearings and should be doing the rear disc brake conversion next weekend when the Prop valve arrives. I am going to use integra E-brake cables and just cut the rubber grommet. I have some Proseal that I am going to use to cover some unwanted holes to reduce windnoise. Anyone in the Aviation industry can tell you how nasty proseal smells when its not mixed together. Think of rotten eggs.

24 Mar 12

Finally finished repainting the valve cover. After that, I drilled some holes in the exhaust flange so it will mate up to my resonator. My USDM P30 ECU arrived in the mail along with a Blox TPS sensor, obd2a-obd1 harness, and my final Timken wheel bearing. My Spoon Tension wires are on the way from Japan and my Hasport axles will be in Tuesday.

30 Mar 12

I finished replacing the axles, outer tie rods, and a couple of ball joints. However, my oil pan needs to be replaced due to a drain plug that has torn out the threads and has sheared. I am not going to go through the trouble for a busted and JB welded oil pain. I am going to replace it with a Moroso and new gasket.

11 Apr 12
The car is back on the ground. The Oil pan has been replaced and will begin to replace the fuel pump soon. I have quite a bit arriving in the mail this week so I started prepping for the new parts. Here is a sneak peak of what is to come.

12 APR 12
I was a tad bored today so I did a mach S2K push start install. I have another Emergency button set on the way to replace the current scratched button panel. The Emergency button will be on the right hand side while the defrost relocated in the glove box. I have no heat or A/C so I won't need it really. Not until Winter rolls around.

Here are a few pics of it installed in the USDM center console. The final product will be installed in the 96-98 Civic Type R Navigation Console. I will have to do a little wiring for the console to work the way I want but it will only be a total of 8 wires.

Last edited by Sagara09; 04-12-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1997 Civic Hatch: My to do list.

Nice car man! I envy your catback!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

before you do any of that, buy some tires please lol
Old 02-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by codyJDM
before you do any of that, buy some tires please lol
Fronts have been replaced. The car is hardly driven right now if any because of the tires and some other things I am hoping to fix. I appreciate the concern, sir.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice starting platform.

I just hope you decide to change your mind abouT the exterior, and get rid of those wheels, stickers, lip and exhaust.

This car has lots of potential, good luck.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sagara09
Fronts have been replaced. The car is hardly driven right now if any because of the tires and some other things I am hoping to fix. I appreciate the concern, sir.
im glad you have your priorities straight! good luck with your car man, enjoy it
Old 02-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

An oem front lip would do wonders for your car man. Few things I would suggest for your motor if I could. Header wise, do either the Narrow or the Toda copy. Stay away from the Hytech lookin piece of garbage. The Performer X with the S2S2's is gonna make for a very peaky powerband and you're probably gonna get tired of having to rev the **** out of it everywhere you go(I did). S2S1, BC3+ or Toda A with your stock IM is gonna make you more midrange and give you a much more usable powerband. Transmission wise, I dunno if you're gonna be doing allot of freeway driving or not, but adding a 4.7 or 4.9 final drive makes a dramatic increase in acceleration...obviously having LSD is a good thing also.

Good luck and build with patience
Old 02-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The exhaust is probably going to stay the same. I dont like the way it looks but the overall airflow and sound is great. The wheels will be changed, hopefully by the end of the year.

The car will not be a "JDM" build, but something more pfermance based if possible. The interior is terrible right now. SO I may go ahead and finish it out if not start on it. It smells and the seats have seen better days. Not to mention, the last owner ghetto rigged an amp so I may get some new seats, carpet and remove all the speakers and useless wiring.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I have some rear disc brakes on the way. I am thinking about splurging 2500 on suspension and he interior. I am tired of the crappy seat moving about and the carpet smell. I may order some engine components but I may leave it as it is and figure out what would be the best for what I want.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

seems like u have a really good start. i think the next step should be just to take it to the track and see wat it dose
Old 03-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Been busy over the weekend. I have PIC bushings and a Toda rep header waiting to be installed.
Just waiting for the new steering wheel to arrive.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Jw where did you get your spoiler? The fitment looks pretty good
Old 03-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mikekh10a
Jw where did you get your spoiler? The fitment looks pretty good
I bought from a member here. He said it was a spoon replica but it has a sticker with kanji on it.