Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

VTC Actuator Replaced now Check Engine Light and VSA Indicator on??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default VTC Actuator Replaced now Check Engine Light and VSA Indicator on??

So I have my VTC Actuator replaced by the dealer due to that cold start grinding they make. Extended warranty covered it. Thank God I got it!

I immediately had some slight rough idling so I call them and the tech says it still needs to relearn the idle. My immediate concern was, why didn't he perform the idle relearn procedure before I picked it up? Hmm..... So they say to drive it and it'll relearn it, so I do. That was like yesterday.

Not all of a sudden my Check Engine light comes on tonight and the VSA light comes on too with the exclamation point in the triangle too! I push the VSA button and nothing.

Hooked up my OBD II reader and got a ERR code on it. Does the 08 Accord have the OBD II system? Any ideas on what maybe going on with the lights? Thanks for any ideas/suggestions. Guess I'm gonna have to have it towed to the dealer since they are over in Johnson City, TN and I'm over the mountain in the Asheville, NC area. Around 65-70 miles away.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTC Actuator Replaced now Check Engine Light and VSA Indicator on??

Originally Posted by dbailey
So I have my VTC Actuator replaced by the dealer due to that cold start grinding they make. Extended warranty covered it. Thank God I got it!

I immediately had some slight rough idling so I call them and the tech says it still needs to relearn the idle. My immediate concern was, why didn't he perform the idle relearn procedure before I picked it up? Hmm..... So they say to drive it and it'll relearn it, so I do. That was like yesterday.

Not all of a sudden my Check Engine light comes on tonight and the VSA light comes on too with the exclamation point in the triangle too! I push the VSA button and nothing.

Hooked up my OBD II reader and got a ERR code on it. Does the 08 Accord have the OBD II system? Any ideas on what maybe going on with the lights? Thanks for any ideas/suggestions. Guess I'm gonna have to have it towed to the dealer since they are over in Johnson City, TN and I'm over the mountain in the Asheville, NC area. Around 65-70 miles away.
P.S. Mine is the EX-L model with the 4 cylinder.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Come to find out my old Stinger OBD II reader does not support the new CAN-buss systems that the newer cars have in them. Took it to Advance Auto and their scanner pulled a P0304, #4 cylinder misfire. Tech at dealership suggested I not drive it the hour it takes to get back over there with that code. Thank God I have AAA Plus that gives up to 100 mile free towing.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the corrective action for the misfire was that when the tech replaced the actuator he didn't realize that the little piston in the valvetrain that locks the VTEC had slightly popped out and he put it back in correctly at no change (OBVIOUSLY) and walla. No more misfire!