Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2010 Honda Accord sudden increase in road noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 05:13 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Honda Accord sudden increase in road noise

2010 accord 4 cylinder. Suddenly (as of 2 weeks ago) has an annoying rumbling road noise sound. Sounds similar to running off-road tires, but I have Michelin road tires.

Noise starts around 25 miles an hour and increases pitch with the speed of the car. It does not match the engine revs. it perfectly matches the speed of the car. It’s hard to pinpoint but it sounds like it’s coming from the front of the car. Braking does not change the noise, (except for slowing the car down and changing the noise in that regard) neither does shifting into neutral. I have checked all four wheel bearings and found no play in them, I’ve also replaced each of the front two tires with the spare and neither affected the noise. I’m wondering if it could be a bad cv or if anyone had any other thoughts on what it could be. I am stumped.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:41 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2010 Honda Accord sudden increase in road noise

Hi Chris,
It may still be a Wheel Bearing. They don't necessarily need play in them to be noisy and failing. Rear Wheel Bearings tend to be noisy without play. A Wheel Bearing with play will generally change pitch when vehicle changes direction.
Get on a road without much traffic and that is safe to slalom the vehicle. While driving straight turn the steering wheel left and right as if your weaving in and out traffic cones. If the noise gets louder when your turning right the noisy bearing will be on the left hand side
and visa versa for the left hand turn. The loaded wheel will make the most noise. If it does it for both directions then both bearing are no good. If it's in the front wheel bearings you should definitely hear it and feel it through the steering wheel.
Wheel Bearings can still be noisy in a straight line with no loading on them especially in the rear.
Jack the rear of the car up and put on safety stands. As you have already check for play check for rotational noises let the handbrake off then rotate the wheels as fast as you can. Listen out for a constant rough scraping type noise. Disregard any rotational scraping from brake pads or rotors. If there is no scraping type noise then your bearing should be ok. If you can hear a noise and it gets louder the faster you spin it then you more than likely have a bad bearing.
I recently bought a 2008 Honda Accord Euro Luxury Navi CU2 with 18" Wheels (Australian Market). I just put a set of Brand New Yokahama BluEarth GT 235/45R18's on. In the last month or so the vehicle developed a noise at about 60 kph and when slowing down to stop.
It was also noisy at 100 kph but most noticeable at 60kph and mainly from the rear. First off it sounded like tyre noise thinking the tyre pressures were too high which can cause a resonance noise if too high. I check the tyre pressures.
The Tyre Fitters set them at 42psi for some reason. I felt that was a bit high considering I wont be towing anything and the vehicle will be running at standard load. I adjusted them back down to 34Psi. Tyre Placard recommends 33-35psi.
Unfortunately there was no difference in noise pitch or speed at which it is most noticeable. I carried out the checks as written above and the Right Hand Rear (Driver's Side) has a noticeable rotational scraping sound. The Left Hand Rear ( Passenger Side) was ok.
I ordered a Rear Wheel Bearing from Ebay and will replace it as soon as I receive it. It's not a difficult job to replace. There's a few YouTube Video's showing how it's done.
Cheers
Geoff
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia