Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Persistent water leak in 2005 Hybrid Honda Accord even after taking it to mechanic 2X

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 07:24 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Persistent water leak in 2005 Hybrid Honda Accord even after taking it to mechanic 2X

There is persistent water accumulation on the floor of the front passenger side. I first went to a local mechanic who cleaned out the drains under the front windshield thinking it might be clogged after finding lots of debris in there. Didn't fix the leak. Then, took the car to the dealership where they replaced the passenger side door seals. That seemed to fix it for a few weeks but now it's back the way it was. When it rains, there puddle forms on my passenger side floor. It looks like it's coming up from the center of the passenger floor. I haven't driven my car since friday, so how can this water look like it's coming up from the floorboard? Any advice is appreciated. Front passenger side floor - Album on Imgur The darker spot in the middle is water.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Persistent water leak in 2005 Hybrid Honda Accord even after taking it to mechani

Does the car have a moon/sun roof? If so I'd be willing to bet the drain tube has "slipped" out of the drain valve.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:02 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Persistent water leak in 2005 Hybrid Honda Accord even after taking it to mechani

No moon/sun roof. It just seems to be coming up from the passenger floor somehow. I haven't driven my car for about 2 days but it has been raining. The more it rains the bigger the puddle
Old 04-19-2015, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Has the windshield been replaced? If it has, it may not have been sealed correctly. The AC evaporator drain hose might be plugged, and not draining. You can remove some of the interior trim, sit in the car, and have someone gently spray the outside of the car with a water hose. You can use painters masking tape to isolate the windshield and door glass. You may want to contact the dealer that performed the repair, tell the the repair they performed didn't fix the problem.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:46 AM
Trial User

No, I haven't had the windshield replaced. I have had two accidents that needed body work (I don't recall exactly what was done) but that was several years ago and the leak started recently. The car has over 100,000 miles on it. I did sit in the car while it was pouring rain yesterday and just couldn't find any obvious place it's coming from. No wetness anywhere but the passenger floorboard. I did call and make an appointment with the dealership. The dealership guy said that this must be a new leak even though it's in the same exact spot as the old one (which I don't believe). He says he's pretty sure replacing the door seals a few weeks ago fixed the original leak because they ran it through the car wash after and no water came in. I'll try to update tomorrow with what the dealership says after I bring it back in.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:25 PM
Trial User

Well, I took my Honda to the dealership today. They said they can see water coming down the firewall under the dash and pooling on the floorboard. They said I should take it to a glass shop and have the front windshield resealed. The only problem is when I took it to the glass place they tested the front windshield and said the seals are still good and water must be getting in some other way. So, I still don't know how the water is getting in.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mask off the windshield and molding with masking tape, apply water and see if it still leaks. You have to be thorough, with the masking tape and cover both sides of the trim. This will show wether the glass is leaking or not. Remove the, "A" pillar interior trim so you can see if it's leaking. There could be a leak under the cowling.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:06 PM
Trial User

Thanks for all the advice. The windshield for sure is not leaking after testing. The water seems to be coming down the firewall somewhere between the front windshield and the side passenger door. There's a bunch of electrical cables in front of where the water seems to be coming from so I wasn't able to pinpoint the exact spot. I did have a car accident years ago that required body work to be done in that area. So, I'm wondering now if there is something related to the car accident that is letting water in. I think I'm going to take it to a local body shop and get them to look at it but they can't see me till next week. I think I might buy a waterproof car cover in the meantime since we expect rain this weekend.