Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Honda Accord 04, 2.4 Cyclynder, Auto trans has P0341 and Incomplete monitors

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Honda Accord 04, 2.4 Cyclynder, Auto trans has P0341 and Incomplete monitors

Honda Accord 04, 2.4 vtech, 4 Cylnder. One year back when check engine light came then one of Mufler shop(in MI) guy replaced O2 sensor and Cam sensor and he gave old one as he menitioned that. But when I came to NY and Inspection was not passed because check engine light on. After diagonestic, I came to know that Guy did not replaced any sensor just he put black tape to cover check engine light on. I was keep driving in check engine light on and my car is running in good condition without any problem. Total mile on car is 137000.I have chaged O2 sesnor Bank 1 sensor#2 and Cam sensor Bank 1 but still getting code P0341as soon as I start engine. After driving 100 miles its still shoing P0341 code and Oxygen monitor, catalyst Monitor and EGR monitor are incomplete. The copde P0341 is showing as CAM Position Sensor A ckt RNG/Perform BNK1. Please advice me how can make ready these three monitors
Old 01-09-2015, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Accord 04, 2.4 Cyclynder, Auto trans has P0341 and Incomplete monitors

One year back when check engine light came then one of Mufler shop(in MI) guy replaced O2 sensor and Cam sensor and he gave old one as he menitioned that. But when I came to NY and Inspection was not passed because check engine light on. After diagonestic, I came to know that Guy did not replaced any sensor just he put black tape to cover check engine light on. I was keep driving in check engine light on and my car is running in good condition without any problem. Total mile on car is 137000.I have chaged O2 sesnor Bank 1 sensor#2 and Cam sensor Bank 1 but still getting code P0341as soon as I start engine. After driving 100 miles its still shoing P0341 code and Oxygen monitor, catalyst Monitor and EGR monitor are incomplete. The copde P0341 is showing as CAM Position Sensor A ckt RNG/Perform BNK1. Please advice me how can make ready these three monitors
Old 01-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Honda Accord 04, 2.4 Cyclynder, Auto trans has P0341 and Incomplete monitors

Ahh, the dreaded p0341 in a four cyl.

Hate to be the one to tell you this but you are going to have to replace the timing chain and any other parts (guides and that) that are worn.

The 0341 is a "phase" issue - the sensor is fine, it's telling you the phase of the timing is out.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lost Again
Ahh, the dreaded p0341 in a four cyl.

Hate to be the one to tell you this but you are going to have to replace the timing chain and any other parts (guides and that) that are worn.

The 0341 is a "phase" issue - the sensor is fine, it's telling you the phase of the timing is out.
Hi, Thanks for answer. Is this P0341 code causing to not complete O2 Monitor, Catalytic Monitor and EGR monitor. These three monitors are not getting complete after driving of several cycle. Please comment on these. My car has to pass emission test.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, you are going to have to "solve" the p0341 before you will pass.

And to date, I have never seen anyone resolve the 0341 without replacing the timing chain. So IMHO, it is time to bite the bullet and get the timing chain replaced.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, you are going to have to "solve" the p0341 before you will pass.

And to date, I have never seen anyone resolve the 0341 without replacing the timing chain. So IMHO, it is time to bite the bullet and get the timing chain replaced.
Is this timing chain going to cost me more? Do you have any idea how much going to cost?
Is there any guarantee that this will resolve this my issue? As of now my car is running without any problem.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hipramodbhu
Is this timing chain going to cost me more? Do you have any idea how much going to cost?
Is there any guarantee that this will resolve this my issue? As of now my car is running without any problem.
Thanks, I have another issue related to instrument cluster. I tried to open fixed light problem in dash board. By doing this, MY rpm needle is not coming at right indication while scan is showing correct while acceleration and rpm needle is also moving but its not showing correct at position.Is there any setting, I need to do for needle?
Old 01-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I really don't know how else to put this. Replace the timing chain!

Memory tells me, if you pay someone....you are in the ~$900 range.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do I need to change water pump also alongwith timing chain?
Old 01-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, on the '04 four cyl the water pump does not have/need to be changed when doing the timing.

On the older ones, it was suggested to change it because the work to do the water pump was almost the same as doing the timing BELTS. Since the 03 nd newer four cyl changed design that need/suggestion went away......no overlap in labor.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi,
One guy explained that following
The 2.4L 4Cylinder in the Accord has a chain designed to last the life of the engine, and it is self adjusting.

Looks like its not timing issue problem then. It may be something else casing these errors.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi,
One guy explained that following
The 2.4L 4Cylinder in the Accord has a chain designed to last the life of the engine, and it is self adjusting.

Looks like its not timing issue problem then. It may be something else casing these errors.
I've tried to be as nice as I can about this.....the first person that worked on the car didn't know what they were doing, replaced some sensors, took your money and you still have the issue.

To the "guy" that said "The 2.4L 4Cylinder in the Accord has a chain designed to last the life of the engine, and it is self adjusting." He is wrong and full of BS.What Honda Dealership or Honda Repair shop does he work for....not a very good one.

The P0341 is a code for the "phase" of the timing. The sensors are working - you know this as you already wasted $ having them replaced and nothing changed. What the sensors are telling you is that the timing marks (on the chain) are not in the correct position with each other. HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN, well the dang chain is streached....plain, simple, don't know how else to get that fact through to you.

https://honda-tech.com/honda-accord-...retch-3206791/

I'm done.....have fun and good luck.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've tried to be as nice as I can about this.....the first person that worked on the car didn't know what they were doing, replaced some sensors, took your money and you still have the issue.

To the "guy" that said "The 2.4L 4Cylinder in the Accord has a chain designed to last the life of the engine, and it is self adjusting." He is wrong and full of BS.What Honda Dealership or Honda Repair shop does he work for....not a very good one.

The P0341 is a code for the "phase" of the timing. The sensors are working - you know this as you already wasted $ having them replaced and nothing changed. What the sensors are telling you is that the timing marks (on the chain) are not in the correct position with each other. HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN, well the dang chain is streached....plain, simple, don't know how else to get that fact through to you.

https://honda-tech.com/honda-accord-...retch-3206791/

I'm done.....have fun and good luck.
Thank you a very much for explanation. Thats what I undertsnad from P0341. Its phase detction issue between cam and crank sensor. But I went once to Honda dealer. He asked me to replace first Cam sesnor then your all others monitos like O2, CAt and EGE will get ready.I changed Cam sensor and O2 sensor replaced. I am going again to Honda dealer this weekend.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just did this job on Thursday with a CRV...pulled the side cover off and the chain tensioner was fully extended.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi Almighty-Si,

Can I do my self? Could please send some video or any link or any diagram. My car is honda accord 2004, 2.4 Cyl
Old 01-19-2015, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I went Honda Dealer. They said that they will take 3 hrs to diagnostics and they will confirm whether its timing chain issue. If that timing chain issue then they will take 6 hrs repair. After that they will see if this problem is going or not. I am not sure if they do not say this is 100% problem. Its costing me $850. Please suggest em what to do next if this timing chain problem get fixed but still same problem.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have taken to dealer. They said that its timing issue. Its cost me $1500 to fix this problem. They asked me to replace following parts.
1. ARM, CAM CHAIN Tesnioner
2. Chain (176L) (DAIDO)
3. GUIDE, CAM CHAIN
4. Tensioner ASSY, CAM CHAIN
5. Actuator ASSY VTC (46T)

My car is running without any problem and sound. Do I need to replace this parts mandatory?
Old 01-26-2015, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you want the code to go away so you can pass inspection?

You might be able to save a few $'s at an independent repair shop.

Some of those parts "might not be needed" but do you want to half %*# a job to save a few bucks?

Last, IMHO one of the number one reasons for the chain to streach is low oil levels. So once you have the repair done I suggest you get on a regular schedule of CHECKING the oil level, I have OCD about this and try to check the oil level in all of my cars every two weeks....even the ones that might only get ~50 miles on them a month, better safe than sorry. Can you tell me the last time you checked the oil level in the car in question?

Don't take this the wrong way but I tried to tell you back in my first post you would end up with replacing the chain and related parts
Old 01-28-2015, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used to change oil every 3 months or 3000miles whichever comes early. Last time I changed in December 2014. Most probably my previous owner could have not changed oil frequently.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi my honda accord 2004, 4 cyl started giving problem. In idle my car is vibrating and getting stopped. RPM is going between 1000-650 in idle. Also, Its vibrating at red signal But when I am in driving then its driving good. Also, its giving starting problem sometimes. Please advice me. My car is having timing chain issue with code present P0341. Is this timing chain issue or some major engine problem? I will be thankful for this help.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like the bad chain is now causing more damage to the engine. Has it now skipped a tooth or more and caused a bent valve?
Old 02-12-2015, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Last, IMHO one of the number one reasons for the chain to streach is low oil levels. So once you have the repair done I suggest you get on a regular schedule of CHECKING the oil level, I have OCD about this and try to check the oil level in all of my cars every two weeks..... Can you tell me the last time you checked the oil level in the car in question?
I used to change oil every 3 months or 3000miles whichever comes early. Last time I changed in December 2014. Most probably my previous owner could have not changed oil frequently.
Changing the oil and CHECKING THE OIL LEVEL are two different things.

Point blank question: Tell us the last two times YOU CHECKED THE OIL LEVEL in the car and what did those checks show you?
Old 02-13-2015, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like the bad chain is now causing more damage to the engine. Has it now skipped a tooth or more and caused a bent valve?
is that vent valve caused damgged to engine? I am thinking to sell it or trade it instead of soliving these problem.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. I have all ready done diagonestic with Honda dealer and they said $1500 to fix timing chain issue. He said that you can drive and come by next month. Because thsi huge money so I need tos ave soem money. As of now no sound and its running good so you can drive. Thats Why I drivinga nd saving some money to go in next month. So please suggest me do I need to fix this problem or trade this car. Now, I am not driving car its consuming more gas and stopping in driv also.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda Dealer diagnoestic my car and said that its only timing chain strectched. Its cost $1200 to fix. I got agreed to fix that problem. Now, He telling car valve vent and need another $1200. I am not sure why he did not tell me when he has done initial diagonestic? I dboubt whether he adding one by one problem and charging from me.

Quick Reply: Honda Accord 04, 2.4 Cyclynder, Auto trans has P0341 and Incomplete monitors