Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Brought car in for work multiple times & still can't solve problem? Suspension issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brought car in for work multiple times & still can't solve problem? Suspension issue?

2007 Accord LX 2dr 4cyl

Problem started off in the winter. I figured I had hit a pothole and messed the alignment up or I had an issue with a wheel. Initially the feeling I was getting was so bad that I had pulled over thinking I had a flat or wheel that wanted to come off the car. I had a 4 wheel alignment done and afterwards the car felt a little better, but still not 100%. At that time the mechanic mentioned that it could be one of the wheels so I replaced it shortly after the work was done.
The new wheel made no difference so I took it to the Honda dealer so they could take a look. I was told my tires had flat spots and I needed alignment, there was also a suspension part in the front that needed to be replaced ( have to pull up the receipt for what it was exactly). I was also told that the aftermarket rotors I had were causing some pulsation. I had them replace the suspension part and took the car to my tire guy for 4 new tires. I had my brakes done and swapped in factory rotors and had another 4 wheel alignment done. The car still feels horrible.

The rear alignment is still off currently, the mechanic said the rear control arm bushings are frozen to the frame and will need to be replaced? So I know I still have an issue to sort out, BUT would this be enough to cause what I'm describing below?

I’m looking for some ideas on what I can ask the dealership to look at again. Maybe I’m not explaining the sensation I feel while driving correctly or using the right terms but I can’t understand how “Everything else looks fine”. I've driven the car long enough to know something is not right.

Symptoms I've described:

Car feels like it needs alignment – pulls left/right at times

Wheel hop sensation. Sometimes the car doesn’t feel bad at all and then out of nowhere it’s a constant bumpy road feeling. Easiest way I can describe it is that every bump in the road feels larger than it really is and if I’m driving on bumpy or uneven pavement it feels like the wheels are bouncing all over the place.

Sloppy feeling steering wheel. When hitting bumps or spots on the road the wheel shakes too much IMO and I get a lot of feedback in the wheel.

Shaking feeling in steering wheel, sometimes slightly in pedal and seat.

I can feel it even at 30mph or a slow roll. On the highway at 60+ I get a lot of shaking in the wheel and the steering feels very loose/sloppy.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Brought car in for work multiple times & still can't solve problem? Suspension is

The rear control arms could be the problem, but I'm thinking blown shocks or ball joints. Seems like they would have checked that when you brought the car to the dealership.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brought car in for work multiple times & still can't solve problem? Suspension is

Shocks and ball joints really aren't things that could have been missed right? I assumed they checked everything while diagnosing the car.

I'll add those two to the list of things I'm planning on asking them to check. The only other thing I've come up with doing some reading is a bad axle, but I would think they'd notice that as well while looking it over.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd also suspect ball joints before an axle, given the symptoms you're describing. An axle would typically result in symptoms showing up at known intervals or situations (for instance, wobble above 40 mph, shaking when accelerating, etc). The symptoms you're describing seem a bit random and more related to your suspension components than your drivetrain.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After a collision, the alignment should be evaluated before any repairs are attempted or adjustments made. This would allow any competent technician to identify problem areas before any repairs are sold.

What wheel was damaged and what were the exact circumstances? (I don't give a hell if you were hot-rodding or not) Does it pull while braking? And how bad? Does it dart off the road? What tires are on it? Validity of tire balance?

Vibration and a pull sensation have two different root causes. You need to specify when the problem occurs, and when it doesn't.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I really wouldn’t even consider it a collision. During the winter season hit a few pot holes here and there but nothing major. There wasn’t an instance where I slammed into a large pot hole and instantly thought I might have caused damage.

The wheel damage was minor and I replaced the wheel because at the time it “might” have been part of the issue. I believe it was on the inner part of the wheel. This was the front passenger wheel.

I don’t feel that it pull much while braking but I will test that out. Also what I’m calling vibration could also be described more as a bumpy ride. Un even pavement or driving over areas with patches, small potholes, the car is extra bumpy.

Darting off the road – Do you mean how much pull there is? Again this depends, sometimes it doesn’t seem to pull as bad and other times I get a strong pull to the right.

Tires are continental purecontact 205/60 16
Old 06-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you hear any noise from the suspension when it "bounces"? If you do, it could be the top mount for the shock.

I would also inspect any bushings in the suspension, balljoints and tie-rods
Old 06-11-2014, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, no noises at all.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Had the car back in with Honda last week.

Had the tires rotated and they also rebalanced them. They have the road force machine so I'm assuming that might be better than the one at the local tire shop? They didn't comment on any issues with the tires or possible issues with any of the rims.

Had the alignment done again and got a copy of the print out, everything is within spec.

Once again I got the car out on the road and I'm still experiencing the same symptoms. Wheel hop like sensation at all different speeds, I can feel it at 20mph and at 60+. Higher speeds on the expressway and I feel the feedback in the steering wheel and I feel like I'm shaking in the seat. The steering feels sloppy/lose also at higher speeds.

Had to make a right hand turn yesterday and the pavement was chewed up near the corner. So my passenger tire hits that area as I am turning and accelerating and the only way I can describe it is a violent bumping sensation.

I've been saying for a while I think it is something with the front passenger side of the car. I'm just clueless as to what I need to ask them to look at or if I'm even describing this correctly.

Dropping it off again after work. Third time going in with honda and fifth time since this issue started.

So far had multiple wheel alignments, new tires, rebalanced 3-4 times, replaced a wheel that they said had slight damage (that made no difference at all).
Old 08-12-2014, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did they check out the ball joints yet? I'm assuming so, but I don't see that we ever got official word back on that. A few of us here suspected they might be the culprit.

Worn ball joints have caused "sloppy feeling steering wheel" and "shaking feeling in steering wheel" in my experience, as well as wheel hop and pulling.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by johnnyb588
Did they check out the ball joints yet? I'm assuming so, but I don't see that we ever got official word back on that. A few of us here suspected they might be the culprit.

Worn ball joints have caused "sloppy feeling steering wheel" and "shaking feeling in steering wheel" in my experience, as well as wheel hop and pulling.
Each time the car has gone in I have explained the symptoms and been told that they will check out the front suspension. I'm thinking that they really aren't checking enough or just doing a quick once over.

Tonight when I drop it off I am going to specifically ask for the ball joints and axles to be checked out. Those two things have been mentioned and come up in searches I've run. I honestly assumed by now they would have check those things out.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was working at Napa when I got my 98 v6. I replaced EVWRYTHING I could. Upper and lower arms, all 4 ball joints, rack, inner and outer tie rods, all 4 shocks and mount bushings, strut rod bushings, had engine cradle realigned, Motor mounts, axles, and still never drove straight.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the tech couldn't find anything wrong on the car. I'm starting to think that since I had the issue now my brain is just always looking for it?? Losing my marbles maybe!

I left Honda and took it to my tire guy. He took it for a road test and is really good and vibration issues. Said the alignment was spot on, not pulling, and the vibration to him was just feedback from the road. Said nothing at all that jumped out at him tire wise.

Spent too much already on this. I guess as long as its been checked and not like something is going to fall off the car, I'll just drive it the way it is.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I chased phantom bumps and knocks for 50,000 miles and never found it. it finally died 3 weeks ago still knockin on bumps