Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire
Old 04-01-2015, 01:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

09 HONDA ACCORD MAKING CLICKING NOISE WHEN TURNING THE STEERING WHEN ENGINE IS COLD

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 HONDA ACCORD MAKING CLICKING NOISE WHEN TURNING THE STEERING WHEN ENGINE IS COLD

Hi Members,
Good afternoon and wish you all a very happy new year.

I have a 09 Honda Accord LX and I am having a problem. Whenever I make sharp turns the car /power steering or something makes clicking /knocking noise, as if something is really stiff and you are trying to turn it. It only happens when the engine is cold (I live in Connecticut North East so its pretty cold out here). As soon as I drive around a mile or so the noise goes away.
I changed the PS fluid but no luck. I read about the O RING problem & TSB on the internet but the sound doesn't seem to be the same. I will try to change the "O RING" and see if it solves the problem. I checked there are no bubbles in the PS Fluid reservoir. I checked the CV boots but I dont see any oil leakages and the rubbers also seem to be intact.

Can someone please help me with what the problem could be? Also its a Certified Pre Owned Vehicle and I bought it 11 months back. Would the Honda Dealer take care of the problem?

Thanks in Advance.

Have a nice day.

Cheers!!!
Rahul
Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 09 HONDA ACCORD MAKING CLICKING NOISE WHEN TURNING THE STEERING WHEN ENGINE IS CO

No one??? 208 views 0 replies. Really? Folks dont disappoint me. I have really high hopes from this forum.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 09 HONDA ACCORD MAKING CLICKING NOISE WHEN TURNING THE STEERING WHEN ENGINE IS CO

Sounds like the CV joint, seems like I had a similar issue with my 2001 accord.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It stops after I drive for less than a mile, so the chances of CV joint are less. Also it doesn't make any noise if the car is stationary and if I turn the steering wheel...
Old 01-08-2013, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I mean I am a dumb ****, I dont know much but if the noise goes away after driving less than a mile could it be CV Joints?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mysteriousrahul
I mean I am a dumb ****, I dont know much but if the noise goes away after driving less than a mile could it be CV Joints?
possible cv joints...

the pre-owned warranty should cover you if you go back to the dealership. Sounds like a power steering rack issue (if your fluid is good)
Old 01-12-2013, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked my cars CV boots, I dont see any grease leakage there. I am going to the dealership atleast to check what the problem is and if they are covering it under the CPO warrenty well and good otherwise I will get it fixed from a local mechanic who I know is a decent guy.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So, I went to the dealership yesterday. Their technician looked at the car, drove it, put it on the lift and couldnt find anything (Surprising). He didnt hear any noise, could be because the car engine was already hot.
All he found that some power steering hose switch was disconnected, he reconnected it back and he didnt hear any noise. I checked it this morning, I think the noise has gone down but I feel its still there. I will monitor for couple of more days and update you guys.

There are two possibilities here.
A) There is genuinely no problem and I am just paranoid about some minor unrelated noise.
B) There is some major issue, i.e. axle or something like that which is covered under the CPO warrenty and the dealership dont want to fix it free of cost.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mysteriousrahul
So, I went to the dealership yesterday. Their technician looked at the car, drove it, put it on the lift and couldnt find anything (Surprising). He didnt hear any noise, could be because the car engine was already hot.
All he found that some power steering hose switch was disconnected, he reconnected it back and he didnt hear any noise. I checked it this morning, I think the noise has gone down but I feel its still there. I will monitor for couple of more days and update you guys.

There are two possibilities here.
A) There is genuinely no problem and I am just paranoid about some minor unrelated noise.
B) There is some major issue, i.e. axle or something like that which is covered under the CPO warrenty and the dealership dont want to fix it free of cost.

What do you guys think?

lol i laugh when people say this.. the dealership loses NO MONEY to do warranty work. Honda pays the dealership! the flat rate time is a little lower but as a tech we can still get it done pretty fast. i think warranty axles pay 1.0hours and i do them in 30mins each.. a tech is more than happy to upsell anything we can to make more money. if we do not hear the sounds then we honestly having nothing to fix, we will not throw parts at the car
Old 01-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

but let me give you a little assistance.

does the sound come from the engine area for would you say it is more like around your feet (where the steering shaft goes through the floor)
Old 01-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks P Hunter, first of all I am glad that I made you laugh for free . Just kidding, I think the noise is coming somewhere from the floor / chasis area. Now if what the Honda Tech said is correct, I am wondering if it has something to do with the chasis. Here is my logic, when its cold the metal is compressed and its slightly stiff because of which it makes some noise when the car heated up the noise almost disappears. I migh have heard it once in a while when its hot. I could hear the noise when it was cold even after visiting the dealership, i.e after the tech fixed the hose switch. Not sure what the reason could be.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:42 AM
Trial User

try letting your vehicle warm up and see it still does so.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 01-31-2013, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bladi3990, I will try that. The car is with the dealership again as I wanted to give them one more chance before I go to my local mechanic whom I trust more but he will charge for diagnostics as well and the dealership will not honour his diagnostics if he comes up with something which is covered under the Certified Preowned Warranty. This thing is really annoying, how come they are not able to figure out what the problem is. I found a similar article on Honda-Tech but its pretty old so I dont know if there is enough juice to sqeeze from that article. Especially with the spring/summer approaching I dont want to take any chance. Atleast I want to know what the problem is.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the scenario. Leave your car at the dealer overnight so that it will be cold for the technician to hear. Or leave it there and go there in the morning to say there that is the noise I am concerned about. That way A. Your car is in the right state to make the noise.B. You can point out the exact noise. C A dealer tech can verify your issue. As P hunter stated dealer techs want to fix your car. Thats how we get paid.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks KWayRacing, I did exactly that see my previous comment and just 10 mins back I got a call from them confirming that its an axle. However, I have always heard from people that if you are changing the axle change both of them and not just the one which has problem, but since my car is still under warranty the Honda Dealership is fixing it free of cost and the adviser is not recommending replacing both. It seems you also work for a dealership or are a technician, do you recommend getting both of them replaced or should I replace the one which actually has the problem?

Lastly, they (the dealership) are saying that they don't have the part (Are you kidding me?) and will have to order it and will take another few days?

Let me know.