Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2003 Honda Accord Radio audio dead/static/not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2003 Honda Accord Radio audio dead/static/not working

I think it's cheaper to replace the radio than suspension parts I doubt it's a loose wire, more likely a cold solder joint or a crack in the circuit board.

You must live in Canada if you have potholes..

I paid $85 CDN for the Kenwood tuner, which has no CD but does have USB and Aux connections. I think the CD version of it was $10 more, but didn't have the USB port I wanted.

The Metra adapter ( # 99-7862) was about $60.

Both came from my local car stereo shop, Atlantic Car Stereo. You might get them a bit cheaper online, I wanted personal service and advice on the install, which took about 30 mins. Hardest part was getting the dash apart.

Sean
Old 06-18-2013, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i did just this and have no issues !!!
Old 06-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your car has less than 100, 000 miles bring it to the dealer. it is a recall. on the radio something to do with the way it was wired withthe heating/ac unit.
i replaced mine as in the pics above and it cost $300
Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I tried to get the Honda dealership to cover this problem out of warranty, but this is the reply I received: (I have a Honda Accord LX Sedan 2003)

"I have tracked down some more information based off your vin # . Your model of Accord lx was not part of the warranty extension for the radio display board. The radio in your vehicle is different internally than the radio with the warranty extension so the replacement circuit board will not be the same. The only option would be to send the radio out for repair back to Honda. The cost for that however is usually around $400.00 and would take a few weeks to complete. "

So I just replaced mine this week and it looks just like Chilly's pictures. I spent $75 on a Kenwood KDC-255U and $25 on the Metra kit. Everything fits great and the hardest part of the install was the removal of the panels. I tried looking around for the dash removal tool, but had to resort to using a screwdriver.

Best of luck all!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

AND don't forget the part where when they send it out for $400 that is to evaluate it NOT to fix it !!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Trial User

Its been 1 year my radio , CD not working

I am on vacation and wanted to see if a plug wasnt plugged very well

I fixed it today.

I registered to give my way of fixing it.
I have opened the stereo (youtube) and unplug everything attached to the radio
Air dusted the radio.

Then I tried, didnt work.

So i hit the radio with a water bottle on each side of the radio box (behind).
Then it worked!

It's been working for 2-3 hours.
Probably will not work later, but was able to make it work this time.
Will post later to let you know if it still work.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2003 accord radio has no sound, display lights up and the clock is blinking it dosnt ask for any codes. took the fuse out and back in same thing, this is the lx model if it has an amp where is it????
Old 09-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pintofanatic
2003 accord radio has no sound, display lights up and the clock is blinking it dosnt ask for any codes. took the fuse out and back in same thing, this is the lx model if it has an amp where is it????
There is no amp, the stereo "box" is attached to the back of the climate control console.
Sean
Old 10-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Chilly807
If anyone's considering going the same route I did, here's a couple of pictures of the finished product. It's hard for me to justify spending a load of money on a 10 year old car, at least not on the audio system.
Hey Chilly!

Thanks for posting this! I also have been having problems with my radio/cd in my 2005 Honda Accord LE/SP. I recently got into an accident and was told that it's the actual radio, all the wires were in place. I might just do the same as you
Old 11-11-2013, 07:44 AM
Trial User

I am having the same issue as everyone else. I believe it is a design flaw due to the heater (and AC) vents being right above the radio and there not being any insulation between the two. Long before the radio (and CD player) quit entirely, there were occasions when the CD player quit working for no apparent reason but if you removed the disc it would be extremely hot to the touch.

In light of this detail, does anyone else have a recomended course of action? I will probably pull the radio next weekend and check to see if the connectors on the back are ok and not melted or otherwise damaged. Maybe it is just the speaker connections since the radio still powers up and looks like it is working except there is no sound except and occasional popping noise.

Peter
Old 11-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like the exact same symptoms mine had, I rarely used the CD player though so can't comment on that. My key does get quite hot on occasion, hopefully the car won't go up in smoke! I think the whole issue is caused by excess heat buildup in the radio chassis.
Sean

Originally Posted by Peter Gavin
I am having the same issue as everyone else. I believe it is a design flaw due to the heater (and AC) vents being right above the radio and there not being any insulation between the two. Long before the radio (and CD player) quit entirely, there were occasions when the CD player quit working for no apparent reason but if you removed the disc it would be extremely hot to the touch.

In light of this detail, does anyone else have a recomended course of action? I will probably pull the radio next weekend and check to see if the connectors on the back are ok and not melted or otherwise damaged. Maybe it is just the speaker connections since the radio still powers up and looks like it is working except there is no sound except and occasional popping noise.

Peter
Old 12-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Trial User

[QUOTE]=Jamie White;47501754]I have the same problem as well. When I turn the radio on the indicator shows no volume then after 10 seconds the volume indicator goes up but still no sound. Occasionally I will hear a 'pop'. And every once in a while, the radio will actually work intermittently.
[\QUOTE]

Hello, I have a 2005 LX 5-spped with the single disc head unit (which I do use). I have the same issue as this member. I have learned the following about this unit:
- This is an Alpine Branded system
- The Dealer cost for head unit is ~$760
- There is a Power Module (of sorts) up behind the HVAC panel this is an additional $560 for it.
- Dealer parts department could not find a seperate amplifier. (so there isn't one, correct?)
- Local audio shop (Sundown One in Springfield, IL) indicated that an aftermarket head unit won't be compatable with the existing speaker system (!) is that possible? I noted one person has installed a new head unit under the HVAC system. Is it compatabile with your existing speakers? Thank you...
Old 12-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=2005Accord_5spd;49390015]
=Jamie White;47501754]I have the same problem as well. When I turn the radio on the indicator shows no volume then after 10 seconds the volume indicator goes up but still no sound. Occasionally I will hear a 'pop'. And every once in a while, the radio will actually work intermittently.
[\QUOTE]

Hello, I have a 2005 LX 5-spped with the single disc head unit (which I do use). I have the same issue as this member. I have learned the following about this unit:
- This is an Alpine Branded system
- The Dealer cost for head unit is ~$760
- There is a Power Module (of sorts) up behind the HVAC panel this is an additional $560 for it.
- Dealer parts department could not find a seperate amplifier. (so there isn't one, correct?)
- Local audio shop (Sundown One in Springfield, IL) indicated that an aftermarket head unit won't be compatable with the existing speaker system (!) is that possible? I noted one person has installed a new head unit under the HVAC system. Is it compatabile with your existing speakers? Thank you...
No problems with existing speakers, completely compatible.

Sean
Old 12-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Trial User

[QUOTE=Chilly807;49390282]
Originally Posted by 2005Accord_5spd

No problems with existing speakers, completely compatible.

Sean
Good to know this, I will find out about the install kit...the harness is also compatabile correct? I really appreciate the help.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's very nearly plug-and-play.. one end of the harness that came with the adapter plugged into the existing radio, the other end went to the new radio harness. There were maybe seven wires that were on the adapter harness that I had to connect (butt connectors) to the new radio harness. Install took about 30 minutes once I had the dash apart.

Sean
Old 02-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by RMD2003
I have researched this as my 2003 Honda Accord does the same thing.........now it is off. If your car has less than 100, 000 miles the dealer will fix. It is a problem with the actual radio manufacturing.
and of course most have this issue after 100,000 miles
Does anyone know the TSB # for this? I called my dealership and they said there's no way for them to search it - there are 1000s of them..
Old 02-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a crock to me.. they'd find it if they had a clue. Try approaching Honda America or Honda Canada and tell them the situation.
I replaced mine recently ( the car, not the stereo!) It had what seemed to be incurable electrical gremlins, with high mileage and over 10 years old it wasn't worth fixing.
The new car, an 07 Accord SE, has a different radio display, LED instead of LCD. I'm hoping for better results from this car.

Sean
Old 03-19-2014, 08:13 AM
Trial User

So frustrated....:

I have an 03' accord and after owning it a month, I found out the engine needed replacing. Did it.

Then, several months later at 2am, I heard a drum bass line that sounded like death metal. I live in an older community and thought, "who the hell could that be?" It was my car. Turning on the stereo. By itself. Luckily I had Ghoul in my CD player or I would have never known it did that. (At least not until I started to purchase batteries like it was my job).

I noticed that my lights to my stereo would blink off and on, the green center light would stay on even if the car was shut off! And if the stereo wasn't shut off before the car was shut off, it would typically start by itself.

My mechanic (after much deliberation) found that if you take out the #40 fuse, it stops the problem. Only other problem: it stops your stereo, your security system, automatic locks, cigarette lighters and several other things from functioning. I don't mind taking out the fuse because its cheaper than buying multiple brand new batteries or having to call for a tow. Or two.

I searched and searched online and found an email address to the company. I know its a long shot but I'm pretty pissed and trying to get it comped through Honda since I feel like everyone of this year Accord is having issues.

I have an appointment w/ Honda in the AM. If all goes well, (or not), I'll let you know.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nathina2
So frustrated....:

I have an 03' accord and after owning it a month, I found out the engine needed replacing. Did it.

Then, several months later at 2am, I heard a drum bass line that sounded like death metal. I live in an older community and thought, "who the hell could that be?" It was my car. Turning on the stereo. By itself. Luckily I had Ghoul in my CD player or I would have never known it did that. (At least not until I started to purchase batteries like it was my job).

I noticed that my lights to my stereo would blink off and on, the green center light would stay on even if the car was shut off! And if the stereo wasn't shut off before the car was shut off, it would typically start by itself.

My mechanic (after much deliberation) found that if you take out the #40 fuse, it stops the problem. Only other problem: it stops your stereo, your security system, automatic locks, cigarette lighters and several other things from functioning. I don't mind taking out the fuse because its cheaper than buying multiple brand new batteries or having to call for a tow. Or two.

I searched and searched online and found an email address to the company. I know its a long shot but I'm pretty pissed and trying to get it comped through Honda since I feel like everyone of this year Accord is having issues.

I have an appointment w/ Honda in the AM. If all goes well, (or not), I'll let you know.
Yeah... mine was doing something similar, turning on the daytime running lights and alarm going off for no reason, relays chattering, dash lights flickering, all with the car parked. My mechanic found an intermittent drain on one circuit, which incorporated several different items. Rather than spending a small fortune trying to find a problem on an old car with a lot of miles, I traded it on an 07 SE Accord. Yes, I told the folks who got it that it had electrical issues!
It pissed me off, the car was good mechanically.

You can get a battery disconnect switch if you're really in a bind, but it's a nuisance.

Good luck with Honda, though I doubt they'll do much.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ccruise0809
Yes, I too called Honda 800 customer service, because I am also having an issue with the backlight on the radio, and the backlight is part of a service bulletin and they told me that 1st they could not help me because the LX model was not part of the service bulletin and 2nd if it was part of the bulletin, i was over on the miliage, I am at 125K and the service bulletin was only up to 100K. I am not too happy. I told them that when it comes time to purchase another car within the next year, I was planning on going with the Odyssey, but now i will have 2nd thoughts. Let me know if you figure it out. thx
Are you still having problems with your radio backlight? If so, many 2003 Accord drivers/owners have realized the issue is in the 2.3 amp fuse located on the circuit board inside the radio. Many have soldered or jumped a wire crossing the fuse from one end to the other. They have done this because they have not been able to locate the 2.3 amp fuse needed to replace the faulty one. If your radio backlight is not working and you would like to have the 2.3 amp fuse replaced, please send me a direct message.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The same happens with my radio; it will even cutoff and spit a disc out or it will just spit the disc out while it is still on. Mostly my problem is it will just cutoff, anywhere, anytime and it looses sound. My personal opinion is that I need a new radio. My other problem is I don't have the money for that!
Old 04-10-2014, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jddenny75
The same happens with my radio; it will even cutoff and spit a disc out or it will just spit the disc out while it is still on. Mostly my problem is it will just cutoff, anywhere, anytime and it looses sound. My personal opinion is that I need a new radio. My other problem is I don't have the money for that!
Are your backlights off? If so, how for how long have they been off?
Old 04-16-2014, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay. I am the second owner of my Accord. With that said I have been observing the behavior of my stock Honda a radio and it is performing in the same manner as many of you mention in this thread. I pulled out the radio awhile back and checked the fuse. it is good, checked my wiring and it looks good too. So I re-installed my radio and prayed for a miracle. Well I turned on my radio and it played but, when I put in a c.d. and especially for some weird reason when the c.d. is new the radio when short out as if the c.d. is causing it to when it is played. This behavior seems like the radio and c.d. player is attempting to get accustomed to playing a new c.d. Weird! I don't know what is going on from a just looking at it and I believe that the radio itself is the culprit! I wish I had money for a new unit so, this one has to suffice until I get rich! Get a new radio everyone, get a new radio!
Old 04-21-2014, 10:06 AM
Trial User

Okay, so I am having the same problem/problems. I am the second owner of my car, it had a lot of miles on it when I got it, now it has probably over 200,000, it's a 2003. Within the past year if not longer things have just been awful! It started with my radio display light going out, it would randomly come on sometimes but it has never really worked, then my radio started cutting off randomly, making that pop noise then silence or sometimes AWFUL screeching static, not just a little static, but like scare the crap out of you screeches. It would still work occasionally, and I'd do the whole turn it off turn it back on thing, but now it has completely stopped working. Only silence or static. On top of that my a/c heater everything has stopped working, as in there is like no power to it at all, we checked the fuses regarding the a/c and they were fine. I'm at a loss as to what to do to fix this but I need to do something. Also, I'm not really interested in getting an aftermarket radio. Any suggestions on how to fix any part of this?
Old 04-28-2014, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Chilly I think the route you took is the way to go! Good job man! Have you had anymore issues?

Quick Reply: 2003 Honda Accord Radio audio dead/static/not working