Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

05 Accord weird radio problem and warrenty questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Accord weird radio problem and warrenty questions

Hello everyone. I am new to the newer generation Honda's and my girlfriend is having a really weird radio problem. Let me start from the beginning. It is a 2005 Honda Accord LX 4 cylinder FACTORY radio. About a year ago the radio started acting funny. The back light would go out sometimes. And the radio/CD player would work on and off. Then everything would work fine for awhile. Now the back light doesn't come on at all. The radio shut off for about a month and finally came back on a few weeks maybe a month ago but has stayed on since although the light doesn't work. Now, since yesterday afternoon my girlfriend noticed when she was about to go home from work that the radio was on. No keys in the ignition. She had just unlocked the car and got in and the radio was on. She came home and let me know and i didn't think much of it. Then last night when I got in the car, same situation as before, no keys in the ignition just recently unlocked, the radio was playing. Now I'm afraid that the radio will eventually drain the battery and we'll be left stranded somewhere.

Now my question is: What are some probable causes of this? Anyone else experience this? Anyone have a fix to this problem? I did some research and no problems were a match to mine. Others experienced radio's staying on when the car was turned off. My radio shuts off when the car turns off. But magically comes back on hours later when I come back to the car.

Warrenty question: I read that there is a recall for these year Honda Accord's radio. Has anyone actually went in and got their radio fixed? Do you know if its a lifetime warrenty? The car has well over the 100,000 miles. I figured I'll ask here before calling the dealership. I know they tend to be sneaky and might lie.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 05 Accord weird radio problem and warrenty questions

First, you're an ******* for thinking the dealer is "sneaky and might lie." Good luck getting any help at your dealer on this with that attitude.

Second, the radio backlight going out is a known issue, and the fix requires replacing the radio's motherboard. They will suggest doing this first, before going into the problem with it playing by itself. That is possibly (but hopefully not) an MICU problem, which controls a lot of "hot when on" circuits. But that's a weird problem; and since your radio light doesn't come on when the radio is on, check and make sure that there isn't a transistor radio on under a seat somewhere (don't flame me, I've seen it).

If you go into the dealer all angry and shitty and expecting them to be "sneaky" then you're not going to get any help. Your radio is certainly out of warranty at 100k, but often the dealer can get some help from AHM and they can goodwill some of the cost of the motherboard replacement. But be nice to them and expect them to be honest. Why would they screw you? They get paid no matter what, whether it's customer pay or warranty or goodwill - now of course CP pays better, but work is so slow now they'll take whatever they can get.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by willimo
First, you're an ******* for thinking the dealer is "sneaky and might lie." Good luck getting any help at your dealer on this with that attitude.

Second, the radio backlight going out is a known issue, and the fix requires replacing the radio's motherboard. They will suggest doing this first, before going into the problem with it playing by itself. That is possibly (but hopefully not) an MICU problem, which controls a lot of "hot when on" circuits. But that's a weird problem; and since your radio light doesn't come on when the radio is on, check and make sure that there isn't a transistor radio on under a seat somewhere (don't flame me, I've seen it).

If you go into the dealer all angry and shitty and expecting them to be "sneaky" then you're not going to get any help. Your radio is certainly out of warranty at 100k, but often the dealer can get some help from AHM and they can goodwill some of the cost of the motherboard replacement. But be nice to them and expect them to be honest. Why would they screw you? They get paid no matter what, whether it's customer pay or warranty or goodwill - now of course CP pays better, but work is so slow now they'll take whatever they can get.
Its a dog eat dog world. You can call me a ******* if you want but going out into the world and trusting everything and everyone will get you no where. I never said I was going to go to the dealership "all angry and shitty". I just wanted to know if anyone knew the warrenty on the car in case they tried to pull my leg and say that it wasn't under warrenty when it actually is to make me pay out of pocket. You make a good point as to they get paid regardless but up the line somewhere someone is losing money cause of this problem. Losing money doesn't sit well with anyone. Its along the lines of knowing what your getting into by getting 2 sides of the story. Not being a *******. But call it what you want.

Now back on subject. I will check the car when it gets back for the transistor radio to see if there is indeed one and if its interfering with anything. Thanks for helping me start off somewhere. I might just have to pull out the radio myself and check for anything burnt, broken or loose.

After today I found that either turning the radio off before shutting off the vehicle or maybe just being careful while taking the key out of the ignition stops the radio from turning on by itself. Or it just decided not to turn on. Coincidence maybe.

Also I called AHM and they said that the radio for the 05's did not have the recall and the only problem they had with the model is the transmission.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Trial User

I just wanted to add that I have encountered the same issue with the 2005 Accord EX coup.
The first thing my friend suggested, that helped a lot, is to pull the fuse. Located on the left side panel under the steering wheel.
Obviously has to be done in a safe environment. Since you really have to get down there.
Mine is the number five on the fuse chart, 10Amp.

That would prevent the battery drain. I have personally encountered the fact that the battery drain problem gets worst.

As far as the DIYs approach I have reasonable suggestions from the internet stating that the problem is in the fuse box. With the theories of Radio Relay, most likely located in the same Driver's side panel. None of the above has been proven since I haven't got the time to test any of that.

But, to the defense of the poster I've had my share of lack of support from my local Honda Repair Staff. Starting with the fact that the dealership Manager authorized a sale of a salvaged used car, while the "dealer" was selling me on useless warranties.

My cars have, and most likely, will continue to get Maintenance and Repair from my personal mechanic.
And I would choose to decline a warranty if I had to pay for it.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by willimo
Which dealership do you work at? No point getting offended and blasting everyone with profanity that offends your job. It's the internet, and you'll drive yourself crazy, responding to everyone that knocks this or that about the things that are dear to us. He's also correct in suspecting that any business may come up with questionable diagnosis and charges for electrical problems, without having the FBI run a polygraph on all the staff. I've seen a few firsthand over the years and heard of a number more, although I'm more used to simply diagnosing problems that a business, sometimes a dealer, charged people to troubleshoot and repair, but never actually did correct the problem.

Dealers charge enough to investigate electrical problems, that it would likely just make sense to just buy a nice radio of one's choice, versus have them look at it. Nothing against dealers or any shops for that matter, but simply a decision we all make when troubleshooting, since they do have to charge a considerable amount of money to stay in business. There's a number of scenarios where you can afford to replace all 3 items that may cause a problem, versus having a shop track down the actual item for the same cost. The advantage of buying them all for the same cost is that you now have 2 new parts and 2 spare parts. With an educated guess, it's likely you'll get it right with the first part, and save considerable dollars.

I had a radio recently that would lose FM with an intermittent connection problem. Turned out to be a pot that lost connection, which was cured with cleaner and a bit of cycling, then resetting to it's initial position. What I would do next is pull the radio out far enough so that you can remove the cover and operate it. Sometimes you can possibly track down the intermittent problem by checking connections and tapping different areas with something non-conductive. I've seen a few poorly soldered wire connections in the past, that would occasionally maintain touch contact and intermittently work. Sometimes you can get lucky and find something simple.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by ej1916
Hello everyone. I am new to the newer generation Honda's and my girlfriend is having a really weird radio problem. Let me start from the beginning. It is a 2005 Honda Accord LX 4 cylinder FACTORY radio. About a year ago the radio started acting funny. The back light would go out sometimes. And the radio/CD player would work on and off. Then everything would work fine for awhile. Now the back light doesn't come on at all. The radio shut off for about a month and finally came back on a few weeks maybe a month ago but has stayed on since although the light doesn't work. Now, since yesterday afternoon my girlfriend noticed when she was about to go home from work that the radio was on. No keys in the ignition. She had just unlocked the car and got in and the radio was on. She came home and let me know and i didn't think much of it. Then last night when I got in the car, same situation as before, no keys in the ignition just recently unlocked, the radio was playing. Now I'm afraid that the radio will eventually drain the battery and we'll be left stranded somewhere.

Now my question is: What are some probable causes of this? Anyone else experience this? Anyone have a fix to this problem? I did some research and no problems were a match to mine. Others experienced radio's staying on when the car was turned off. My radio shuts off when the car turns off. But magically comes back on hours later when I come back to the car.

Warrenty question: I read that there is a recall for these year Honda Accord's radio. Has anyone actually went in and got their radio fixed? Do you know if its a lifetime warrenty? The car has well over the 100,000 miles. I figured I'll ask here before calling the dealership. I know they tend to be sneaky and might lie.

I have the same problem! Please let me know if anyone has a solution!
Old 05-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Trial User

I have the same problem with my 2005 Accord LX. Anyone come up with a fix? It's torture not having a radio and I haven't tried to take it in yet. Maybe I'll call the 800 number. I'll let you all know if I hear anything from them.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:49 AM
Trial User

I also have a Honda Accord 2005 LX. I have been without the radio for almost a year now and it has made my car the most boring ride for "passengers".

My radio had been acting up. To begin with, the fuse went off. So I replaced it. Then I started noticing that nothing actually happens to the fuse. Its just that the radio stops receiving power and when I pull and push back the fuse, the radio starts again.

While that kept happening, somehow, I had one CD jammed in the radio and I never managed to get that out. So the CD was unusable and I kept listening to radio only. Eventually, even when I switched the car off, the radio light would be running.

So to end it all, I just pulled the fuse on the radio and there seems to be no solution for anything. I do not want to replace with an off brand.

To sum it all, there HAS to be something wrong with the whole fuse and power supply system.

It is sad because Japanese cars never used to have such problems before.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:49 AM
Trial User

Hello I am new to the group, I also have a 2005 LX Accord and I am having issues with my radio. I had a bad battery so when i would get a hot shot sometimes the radio would start working again, last week I got a new battery and my radio worked for 4 days now today it is back to not working. The light comes on but that is it, I have replaced the fuse 4 times so i know that is not the issue. Has anyone had any luck with coming up with what the problem may be. I called the dealer and they want to charge me $130 just to look at it.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Honda extended the warranty on the light, to I think 80k miles. You may be able to get some "good will" on that issue. There is no "recall" on a radio. Recalls are for "Safety" issues, which a radio will never be unless it starts a fire.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same problem with my '05 Honda Accord. I bought it in Santa Monica, California at the dealership. There WAS a recall, but somehow it doesn't show up on record any longer. I was told of the recall at a Honda Dealership in Hollywood and brought it there. They put in the new radio. I wasn't having problems at the time, but let them put in the new stereo because of the recall. That was in 2006, a year after I had the car. This past year, the stereo has been turning on when I'm not in the car. It also turns on when I use the electronic key and open the lock. I'm not even in the car and it blares. It took some friends witnessing it for anyone to believe me. Now the CD player doesn't work and the nearby radio stations that were previously clear have static. I brought it to the dealership three times and they won't even look at it unless they charge me because they can't find a recall and the car has over 100,000 miles. So, this problem doesn't happen until the car is older, but clearly, this has been a problem with the '05 Accord Sedan 4cyl. 4dr.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
Honda extended the warranty on the light, to I think 80k miles. You may be able to get some "good will" on that issue. There is no "recall" on a radio. Recalls are for "Safety" issues, which a radio will never be unless it starts a fire.

But I have proof that Honda of Hollywood put in the new stereo for free in '06 because they were having big problems with it. Maybe they just didn't use "recall". Could it be a safety issue with electric fires, etc.? It gets very hot and I have to shut it down after in use for an hour.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just called Honda at (800) 999-1009 and filed a report. Everyone with this problem should do the same. They took the report and then transferred me to the recall department. The recall dept said there was never a recall for the stereo. I then talked to a woman in the product relations department and they told me to write these people and send a copy of my receipt for the stereo recall in '06 because it isn't in the records for the '05 Honda.
American Honda
Mail Stop 500-2N-7A
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501

I will do this and if they don't solve it, I will get ahold of the Consumer Protection Agencies and Better Business Bureau:

http://www.usa.gov/topics/consumer.shtml

http://www.ftc.gov/about-ftc/bureaus...mer-protection

https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complai...nt/get-started

I urge everyone having this problem to do the same. It will bring attention to this problem and to the dealerships. The dealerships seem to be dependent on whatever Honda is telling them. And it's incorrect information.

Last edited by Hondaowner2; 01-15-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:55 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by ej1916

Oh thank the heavens I am not going crazy!

I also have a Honda accord 2005 (don't know what edition bcos it was passed down by my dad and I just can't recall right this instant)..

This exact thing has been happening for 2 years now and I don't remember the last time I heard music in my car anymore...

It started the same. Backlight not working occasionally, then moved on to radio temporary being out of commission, onto not working at all, onto coming back and off randomly with a sudden BOOFFFFFFF sound from the buffers in the middle of a dark night drive (scaring the crap out of me, mind you), into draining my battery once for randomly being on while my car was off in a parking lot...

I have busted over 12 hundred bucks from swapping the battery and alternator, the speakers, the fuses, the battery again etc...not to mention random servicing while being stranded in the middle of a goddamn forest because of that radio, and all 5 auto repair shops have no idea what is causing the issue short of it being a full on wiring issue which causes me a great deal of stress and fear of future short circuits or fire hazards in my car...

Honda for the love of everything that is holy. Something is wrong with that system. Look into it.. All these reports of that radio behaviour from the same cars can't be a coincidence!

Keep me posted pleaaase of a solution. I don't recall if customer support was even helpful when my dad contacted Honda 2 years back (it's registered under his name still)... So i cant tell u if they were useful...

God I miss music...
Old 05-28-2015, 06:34 AM
Trial User

I also have a 05 Ex and thankfully haven't had this problem. When I brought the car a year ago I took it to my personal mechanic even though it was being sold by a dealer. After looking over the engine and exterior they noticed that the stereo didn't work at all. When I took it back to the dealer I told them it didn't work and I definitely wasn't going to but a car that needed a 1000 repair off the bat. The dealer said they would look at it and give me a call back the next day, which they did. It needed a code to reset it and I guess its a anti theft deal and also requires it if the battery is disconnected, It has worked fine since. I did hear that these cars cannot have aftermarket stereos since it has all the climate controls in the same unit. Had anyone heard the same? I have a six disk in mine but I would love to have blue tooth or auxiliary for ipod. I have always had Hondas and love them but this one is a giant electric everything upgrade from my 92 and in leary about messing up electrical. Good luck to everyone
Old 06-02-2015, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=CyberSecs;50365378]Oh thank the heavens I am not going crazy!

I also have a Honda accord 2005 (don't know what edition bcos it was passed down by my dad and I just can't recall right this instant)..

This exact thing has been happening for 2 years now and I don't remember the last time I heard music in my car anymore...

It started the same. Backlight not working occasionally, then moved on to radio temporary being out of commission, onto not working at all, onto coming back and off randomly with a sudden BOOFFFFFFF sound from the buffers in the middle of a dark night drive (scaring the crap out of me, mind you), into draining my battery once for randomly being on while my car was off in a parking lot...

I have busted over 12 hundred bucks from swapping the battery and alternator, the speakers, the fuses, the battery again etc...not to mention random servicing while being stranded in the middle of a goddamn forest because of that radio, and all 5 auto repair shops have no idea what is causing the issue short of it being a full on wiring issue which causes me a great deal of stress and fear of future short circuits or fire hazards in my car...

**I hope I'm writing in a reply correctly. The '05 Honda Accord radios suck! But I finally have a solution and I'm sorry you put so much into it. A car radio guy said the bluetooth that phones have mess with the radio system, so I bought an after-market Panasonic with bluetooth and USB cable… no more problems. It cost me $1,000. It's despicable that Honda doesn't know how to deal with this and that they even deny it's happening. I've heard it happens with the '06 and '07 cars, too. Safety or not, it's a main component that should always work. Ridiculous!!!! And they had recalled the radio in the first year, then put a new one in, but for different reasons and they now deny there were wire/fire safety issues. I'm up for a new car and I will NOT be buying a new Honda. I also tell anyone I know to stay away and I will be writing a blog about it. That even if it has great reviews, watch out because a few years down the road something will go wrong and they will deny, deny, deny. There are VERY old cars out there and at least their radios work! These Honda people won't even acknowledge there is a problem and therefore, don't tell people how to solve it. Losers! So, hopefully a new stereo will help you out (I went straight to a car stereo chain because Honda is worthless and that guy knew what to do!)
Old 08-20-2015, 07:42 AM
Trial User

I have the same radio problem with my honda accord LX...for 2 year now.

I know there are a lot of honda accord 2005 with the same probleme
Old 01-28-2017, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

FYI, if you haven't heard....found out it's a resistor on the MB of the radio, you can send the radio in to get fix...check ebay for that, I just installed after market radio, I kept the old face plate since it has my climate control stuff, now I have a radio the works