Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

When will it end now tranny issue question for you all

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When will it end now tranny issue question for you all

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST

Car is a 2005 EXL 4 cyl with 72k on the clock, I never had any tranny issues, I bought the car with 40k on the clock and did the standard oil change every 3k. So I was not sure if it ever had a transmission flush and I also want to give the car a check out so I took it in to the honda dealer for a tranny flush and a oil change and full check out.

They came back and said the car was in excellent condition and i only need a compressor clutch and belt tensioner. This was done on the 15th of July and I also change the parts they recommended.

On Thursday I pull out of my garage and I heard a growling noise so I was like what the hell. On the way to the local mechanic my d4 light start flashing car wil not shift and a loud screeching noise. Diagnosis my tranny is gone.

Do I have an recourse with the dealer or am i screwed and of course car is out of warranty
Old 08-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: When will it end now tranny issue question for you all

Take it to the dealer and see what they say. It's 12k miles out of warranty. Be kind to them but firm. see what they can do for you. it's rare for the 4 cylender engines to have any kind of tranny issues. They **MIGHT** cover it under goodwill (which again is why I say be kind).
Your tranny may not be gone though, could be something simple. You'll never know until you take her to them to find out
Old 08-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there any fluid in the transmission? Unless they did not fill your transmission back with fluid or left the drain bolt loose causing it to leak out then I can't imagine the dealer's work has anything to do with the transmission if all they did was drain and fill it 3 times.(Flush) What is your mechanic's specific diagnosis. What codes did he pull? Blinking D4 light always means DTC's. What were they? HOw is the fluid level/ condiotion? What does he suspect is making the noise? Being such low mileage, I could easily see Honda warranty being able to get involved some if not 100% maybe some 75/25 or 50/50 split with you if in fact the transmission is faulty. Whether they will or not they will tell you they only trust the judgement of a Honda dealer so just take it to the dealer they are not all bad.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep took it to the dealer and its the transmission. The dealer contacted honda corporate and they agreed to cover some of the cost for the replacement, even though its a lot I think they came back with a fair price as they could have said no. They offered my a replacement trassmission plus 3yrs 36k for 2400 so I just got to put the funds together and then go get it done.