Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do?

Hey, I'm just getting into working on my car. It's got over 130000 miles and I realized pretty quickly that a new timing belt was needed which led me to wanting to go ahead and replace spark plugs.

My question is: in y'all's opinions, what should I work on to get my car performing at its best and lasting for a long time.

I know this is pretty random but I just wanted to get a feel for what you experienced folks would recommend first.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: What should I do?

If the timing belt has never been changed, that should be high on the list. You don't want to know what happens if it snaps. Do you know the maintenance history, like transmission fluid changes etc.? Here is a link you might want to check out. It has some good information about your engine and transmission.
http://www.brisdance.com/Honda/index.html
Old 09-06-2013, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I'm a little freaked that I'm driving a ticking time bomb with my timing belt. I just got the kit in the mail so I'm fixing next week when I have a few days off (just in case I have to make some tool runs while it's in progress.

I have no clue about the maintenance history. My guess is that it's only gotten the basics (oil change, tire rotation, etc.). Probably not much when it comes to fluids and hose changes.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO, it doesn't become a ticking time bomb, till it starts ticking. I doubt the belt is about to just snap from old age, and you would probably hear the belt rattling around in there, if you were losing tension. If you start hearing noises from under the timing covers, then you can start to worry. I have yet to hear of a timing belt on one of these engines snapping, and I'm sure some owners are stretching it much farther than you have. With no maintenance history, I guess you'll have to start one. Checking fluids and for leaks would be first, unless there are more pressing issues.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I'm doing timing belt, water pump and spark plugs all together. I'm thinking ATF after that. I read somewhere that sometimes it's dangerous to change the ATF if it hasn't been done in a long time... Any truth to that?
Old 09-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just don't let anyone hook up a flush machine to it. Drain and fills will not hurt anything. When you remove the water pump, that is the most coolant you can get out of the system, so a coolant change is also a good idea at the same time.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank for the tips... This timing belt is proving to be quite the nuisance. Just got through the crank pulley bolt... Haven't even started under the hood yet. Glad I waited till I had a week off.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:24 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibby1985
Yeah, I'm doing timing belt, water pump and spark plugs all together. I'm thinking ATF after that. I read somewhere that sometimes it's dangerous to change the ATF if it hasn't been done in a long time... Any truth to that?
If you don't know the history of the AT, I would do it 1X. Drive it a bit, and then do the 2X (a bit of driving too and make sure the torque converter kicks in).

I made this up.

Honda (Acura) does have 3X drain & fill in one of the TSB.

The reason why I say this, is because I would rather take baby steps in babying the AT.

No real logic there. Like changing the water in a fish tank. It's better to do a 10% water change for the fish, then to replace 30% of the tank straight up.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So............how is it going Gibby?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't sleep on the timing belt, it will cost big time if it breaks
Old 09-20-2013, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gibby where are you? Did the timing belt do you in?
Old 09-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha, almost. I took it on Saturday and kept having to take breaks because of frustration. The idler for the serp belt got stuck (and somehow turned around in that tiny space). Then, after I finally got all the timing belt covers off, things finally started to go well. Water pump came right off, coolant drained just fine, even got the timing belt off just fine... Then it all went sideways. Both cams shifted, one forward, one back. I used a wrench to hold this in place while I set the new belt on my marks. Rotated the crank pulley a few rotations and the timing marks weren't lining up (tdc was fine, just the paint marks on the belt/cams/frame weren't lining up). Went to remove the belt and the belt tensioner bolt BROKE at the threads (honda said they'd never seen that when I got a replacement bolt. Always fun to hear). I did manage to just barely get the bolt out using a 90 degree hole punch (probably not the real name) to slowly turn it out (scariest moment of my life since I would be able to use an ez out tool since the drill wouldn't fit).

At that point, I decided to not do any more damage. Got a tow ($60) and my local mechanic got the belt on and put everything back together for $340.

I still saved about 600 on it considering everything I did and got a bunch of new toys in the garage, so all things considered, it was a good experience. Thx blkflsh for all the help, you've been AWESOME!!!
Old 09-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you got....in some way.

Those marks are a "one time" thing.....it is a matter of the "number of teeth" on the belt. If you mark the belt and the gear (both cams and crank), get the belt on those marks and you are good to go. If you spin the motor over they won't line back up until you spin it over "X" times.

Anyway....good job
Old 09-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm glad you got it back running again, and didn't damage anything costly. Sounds like a nightmare from start to finish. All's well that ends well I guess.