Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

What could I get for the 06 Accord?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could I get for the 06 Accord?

We have a 06 Honda Accord V6 sedan 6speed manual transmission that I'm considering trying to sell. It of course has leather powered seats and XM radio since it's a 6 speed v6. The car has 35,000k miles I'd like to sell it around 36,000 though. I'd say it's in very good shape and just has a few very minor flaws. The flaws are the rear bumper at one corner has a crack and the other corner has a scratch. The only reason you can really tell these is that you can see black at both the scratch and the crack. The crack just looks like a scratch unless you get really close. The scratches are really small but the black just stands out on the white. The only other one I can think of is the underside of the front bumper has some scuffs where it scratched the paint but you have to be under the car to really see these. Or maybe if you got down even with the bottom of the bumper you might could see a little but it's not just something you see. It has a few other small scratches and what not that are what a normal car would get over it's time. I'm super duper picky and these are basically the only imperfections I can find so overall I'd say it's in very good shape imo. I am always really picky and find everything that's even a slight flaw usually.

It's had Royal Purple ever since the 3rd oil change. The first one was done free at the dealer and the 2nd one it got taken to the dealer. The 3rd one on it has had Royal Purple oil with a Honda oil filter. One time it had a Purolator Pure One oil filter when I needed one and the dealer was closed but every other time it's been a Honda filter. It had the 30k miles service. Some of it was done by the dealer some by me. I did the oil change, tire rotation, changed the cabin air filter, and changed the air filter. I used a drop in K&N when I did the air filter. The dealer changed the transmission fluid and the brake fluid at around 30k miles for the 30k service. I have the service records for whats been done at the dealer throughout it's life which is basically just that and the first two oil changes and I have a book I wrote down anything I did like add gas or oil changes or whatever. I might have missed a few times when I added gas but for the most part it keeps track of most everything.

We have owned it since it was new and I'm just kind of ready to get rid of it and want to around when the warranty runs out. After my truck and even the Chevy and older Honda I'm just not fond of keeping cars when they don't have a warranty. The truck had become a money pit and took a lot to fix it. Around 8k or so give or take to fix the stuff wrong with it and I still have a 8 year old truck with old paint and dents and dings and what not and a ton of parts that are still old. I don't want to do this again that's why I'm considering selling the car.

Anyway I looked on NADA and it said that the clean retail value was $21,075 and the clean trade in value was 18,200. That being said I'd really like to get rid of it but still get $20,000 out of it. Do you guys think that's too much to ask? I'd prefer to sell it to a private party but I would consider trading it in if I can't sell it. How hard do you think this car would be to sell?

Anyways in your opinions what do you guys think it's worth? I'm just worried about keeping it past when the warranty is up.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Cogent Argument Enthusiast

Default Re: What could I get for the 06 Accord? (hometheaterman)

Honestly as far as I have seen, the V6 Accords are going for considerably less than KBB right now, because of the gas prices AND all the trade-ins towards the new 08 models. I got mine pretty mint, for 3000 less than KBB 6 weeks ago. I bought an 05 EXL 6-6 coupe from a dealership for 15,300.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What could I get for the 06 Accord? (Uncle Ben's)

That's not sounding too promising. It gets good gas mileage and I like it okay I just really like the new style Honda's and am kind of afraid now to keep a car like this much after the warranty runs out. Maybe I'd be best to keep it. I don't know. I on one hand want a warranty and like the new models and don't like the white much at all like I thought I would. I didn't want a dark color as the other cars are dark. The truck is dark blue, Chevy is black, and the older Honda is dark green and they all show scratches and dirt and anything super easy mainly scratches. I thought I'd like a light color more and I wanted tan leather so that left with with white or some other color I didn't like or black. I wish I had gotten the back. The white might now show scratches quite as bad but shows dirt still and when it's clean doesn't look that good to me. The black may show dirt but so does the white and at least it looks awesome when it's clean. On the other hand you can't get a 6 speed with the V6 sedans for 08 at least that I've seen and I don't want to sell it for quite that cheap either. Then again I'm not 100% sure if we did upgrade it would be another Accord anyway.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:22 PM

Can't you still buy the extended warranty for your car and keep it? Or maybe try to find a good deal on a Honda certified used Accord similar to yours, and have a warranty to 100k? Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about keeping the Accord past the warranty. My 98 Civic is about to see 130k and in the past 40k+ miles since I bought it, I have had to do nothing but replace the battery and muffler. And this car is used just for delivering pizzas, which is pretty much the most severe driving possible lol. The Accord is pretty much the flagship model of the most reliable car company(just about even with Toyota) on earth and if something bad goes wrong it's bad luck. I love my Accord 6-6 to death. Even though the gas mileage is good for what it is, most prospective Accord buyers don't care about the performance of the v6 so the demand for the 4 banger right now is at a plateau.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe we will just keep it. I'm not 100% sure at this point. I'm not sure about the extended warranty I may check into that. I've just heard soo many horror stories about extended warranties but It may be worth checking into. As for a certified used car that's for sure not the way I'm going. I don't like used stuff at all as it seems like most used stuff I've bought has been a rip off imo. I've gotten a few good deals and some where it probably wasn't a horrible deal but enough of a hassle for me I don't know that I ever want to buy anything used again so that rules that out. If we get something else it's going to be new. The truck was bought used and while I like it I wish I had gotten a new one. The Chevy was used but it was from my grandmother who has had it since new so basically I knew the whole history of it when I got it with 49k on it. It has been my family driving it it's whole life so that was like owning it since new. The 96 Accord was also bought new. I just don't like used cars.

The 96 has been a good car but this car just worries me. The build quality doesn't seem anywhere near as good. It just seems a lot cheaper than the 96 in terms of build quality and the 96 hasn't been bad but has had it's fair share of problems. Not major things and things that were probably cheap enough that it was cheaper than trading it in but stuff that just was a hassle. It's been through several sets of axles. Seems to like to eat through them, been through several sets of rotors seems to like to warp those, been through several sets of mufflers but that can be contributed to us living up a gravel mountain road for a year. That may have been hard on the rotors too but it just seems like it's always eating through rotors. Then other than those problems we had over and over it's just mostly been random things but they add up. Of course it's got 225k miles now and still going and has been pretty good for that mileage. I guess I like this 06 I'm just not super thrilled with the build quality and I really don't like the white paint. I wish we had gotten a black one instead but having never owned a light colored vehicle I thought it would be a lot better dirt wise and scratch wise. It might be better but not enough that it makes it worth it to me and I can't see spending 3-4k on a paint job when it's still a car thats a few years old. I don't know I guess I just want something new so find reasons that I don't want this one like the paint.

More than likely we will just stick with this one though due to the fact it seems like the used car market isn't very good right now. I really am on the fence though. I want something new but at the same time don't want to lose a ton and if I keep it another few years it's just dropping quickly in value.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:18 PM

Yeah my Accord is nighthawk black, and I can see EVERY single blemish quite easily in the paint. Also the thing that sucks is even though I told the dealer I bought it from not to worry about buffing it before I came back to pick it up, they did anyway, and it's been six weeks and I can still see the swirl marks from a mile away, because their stupid Goddamn alien detailer doesn't know how to detail cars any better than he can speak English
Old 07-14-2008, 02:24 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hometheaterman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... I just really like the new style Honda's and am kind of afraid now to keep a car like this much after the warranty runs out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure why you worry about the warranty so much, unless there's something already developing that you haven't talked about.

I have a 2006 6-6 Coupe with 73,000 miles on it and it hasn't given me a single moment's trouble.

I don't think the 2008 Accord is significantly better <u>enough</u> over a 2006 to be worth spending extra money to get one if you already own the 2006 car.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hometheaterman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe we will just keep it. I'm not 100% sure at this point. I'm not sure about the extended warranty I may check into that. I've just heard soo many horror stories about extended warranties ...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Personally, I do not think that they are worth the money for most people.

Having said that, I've had a 100,000 warranty on both my '00 ITR and my '06 Accord. Haven't made much use of either of them.

I do not anticipate ever having to use the warranty on the Accord, and I ended up doing so much to the ITR that it pretty much invalidated everything. It was bumper to bumper, though, and I have to admit they did replace the rear hatch shocks at something like 94,000 miles. That has been the only warranty issue that I can remember ever having with a Honda.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:56 AM

Default Re: What could I get for the 06 Accord? (George Knighton)

I'm a wholesaler and I could sell that to a dealer for about $15,000 right now at best, meaning they's ask about $17,000 for it on their lot.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What could I get for the 06 Accord? (wellinghurst)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm not sure why you worry about the warranty so much, unless there's something already developing that you haven't talked about.

I have a 2006 6-6 Coupe with 73,000 miles on it and it hasn't given me a single moment's trouble.

I don't think the 2008 Accord is significantly better <u>enough</u> over a 2006 to be worth spending extra money to get one if you already own the 2006 car.

Personally, I do not think that they are worth the money for most people.

Having said that, I've had a 100,000 warranty on both my '00 ITR and my '06 Accord. Haven't made much use of either of them.

I do not anticipate ever having to use the warranty on the Accord, and I ended up doing so much to the ITR that it pretty much invalidated everything. It was bumper to bumper, though, and I have to admit they did replace the rear hatch shocks at something like 94,000 miles. That has been the only warranty issue that I can remember ever having with a Honda.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not really anything wrong with it that I know of anyway. The reason I'm worried about it after the warranty runs out is after owning that Dodge it just seems like it's one problem after another. I've dumped around $8000 into it recently and thats not even counting the numerous repairs I did before that. Sure it's a little further out of warranty than the Accord would be right now but it just really has me worried. Now I realize that it's a Dodge and this is a Honda which is a much better car anyway it's just that while the 96 Accord the quality impresses me this car just does not seem to have had the best build quality. Nothing wrong with it but it just feels super cheap everywhere. That and the white paint are my biggest complaints about it and the white paint is my fault for picking it.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:41 PM

give you 10$ for it!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just picked up an 06 Accord EX-L 6 speed 3 weeks ago. So far I love it and plan on keeping it as long as it will run. I picked it up from a Honda dealer for roughly 19k with 60,000 km on it...I think that's about 35,000 miles or so. (I'm from Canada). Funny thing is another Honda was selling the EXACT same car with about 6000 miles on it and wanted about $8k more for the car...Pretty nuts in my opinion...I'll save the money for a little more mileage. I think it'll be a tough sell especially since you are not a dealer but you may have some hope selling it for close to $20k. Plus, I don't like the 08...Too bulky, especially the interior.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What could I get for the 06 Accord? (nightfawl)

I've started liking the new Camry a lot. I think if I can get get close to 20k for it more than likely it will be gone. If I can't get close to that I will more than likely just keep it. I've been driving it a fair amount this week and it wasn't bad driving. I just want the windows tinted badly and I think I'd be fairly happy with it. I want to keep this car legal but at the same time the legal tint here is about worthless to me which is why I haven't done it yet. I think that's the biggest thing I want on it that it doesn't have. That and fog lights which I could add a lot cheaper than buying a new car.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:53 PM

The new Camry SE V6 is a damn nice car. They are something like the fourth fastest car under 25k. It's amazing what they're doing with these cars these days. Apparently with all the technology and improvement they're still keeping their famous reliability as well
Old 07-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup I've never been a huge Camry fan although I like Toyota just fine it's just the looks and feel of the Camry's that I haven't been impressed with but this thing really has me impressed and wanting one. I think if I do get rid of this Accord it's one of the most likely choices for our next car. More than likely we will just keep the Accord though unless like I said I can get 20k or so for it.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What is it about the Accord that is making you want to get rid of it after only 2 years so bad? Think about it this way...How much did you pay for the car new...subtract lets say 20k. Then figure how much it cost you to drive that car for 2 years...Is it worth while?
Old 07-25-2008, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What could I get for the 06 Accord? (nightfawl)

I just don't like it a ton. It just seems like the build quality is not up to what I expect. The door panels rattle and it just all has a cheap feel to it to me. The bumpers feel super cheap and crack and bend at slightest touch. Honestly this car just doesn't impress me very much. The quality of the 96 we have is soo much better it's amazing the difference. These things have really gone down in quality since then. It is 12 years old and has less rattles than the 06 had when it was driven off the dealer lot. I also don't like that you can't easily change the head unit in it although you can't do that in most new cars. I don't know overall I'm just not super impressed and because of these things it makes me wonder how the quality of the rest of the car is and if I really want it. I got the manual out and it listed it as having a 5 year 60k mile powertrain warranty. Is this what it really has? Or was that a extended warranty you could buy? If it's what it has I don't feel the need to get rid of it right now I'm just afraid it's going to be a money pit as it gets up there in miles. I wouldn't have thought that it being a Honda and all but the quality of Honda's just seems to have gone downhill so much I'm not sure nowadays and I guess that's what has me scared of keeping it. I have mechanics tell me that the 96 with 225k miles will still be running when this car is dead. That worries me a little as it does seem possible.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:09 AM

I bought my 2005 Honda Accord V6spd with 97500 on the clock for just under 14000

I have put a little over 10,000 with only one problem. The throttle body went dead on me, and after 1000 bucks, it runs like before! (did i mention that I was one of 3 other Honda vehicles in America to have this problem) I have heard from ALOT of people honda's are great cars to have, and even with this one bad apple, I believe they are great cars!