Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Want to use BOTH stock and aftermarket radio; possible?

Old 02-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to use BOTH stock and aftermarket radio; possible?

OK, this is probably a really weird question, but i have a 2005 Accord and what I want to do is use the aftermarket stereo with an "aux" input which I was given as a gift to be able to connect my ipod to, while still being able to use the factory radio.

Ideally, I'd just use the new stereo as a radio and for the ipod but there are two problems with this:

1. the aftermarket stereo is junk, and switching back and forth from the radio to ipod function, and changing stations on the radio actually broke the thing and I can't do anything but exchange it for the same model so I'm stuck with it. I got a replacement but I want to minimize how much I'm actually hitting buttons on this thing, so my thought was use it only for ipod and use the stock stereo for radio.

2. If I do plug in the aftermarket stereo only we lose all the lights behind the AC/heat controls, so there's this giant "black hole" in the dash at night.

I spliced in a plug to go to the stock stereo into the wiring harness for the new stereo. I figured this would just allow us to power on whichever device I want to use depending on if I want to use the radio or ipod. In practice this doesn't not work because as soon as the stock radio is turned on, the aftermarket radio power comes on and starts causing all this noise and feedback and I've already blown one fuse. If there was a way to have them both connected and be able to have only one powered on at a time I think this would work, but as of now they either both have to be off or on.

Any ideas? (I checked and everything seems to be going to the right place since the wiring is all is color coded and all the wires are going to the respective color)

Thanks!