Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Trying to remove left over window tint residue any advise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to remove left over window tint residue any advise?

Hello,

I was successful in removing all the dark window tint from our 2007 Accord sedan but could not finish the rear window.

I was basically afraid I would cut up the defroster lines on the rear glass. I used a razor blade and I believe some WD-40 it was about 6 months ago. The WD-40 can't cut it alone without using a razor blade which I don't want to use on the rear windshield.

What I really need is some stronger solvent that is safe enough to use on the rear windshield without affecting any of the defroster lines, plastics or upholstry that's around the rear deck in case any drips.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Old 07-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trying to remove left over window tint residue any advise? (vtec_head)

i use denatured alchol on my windows or windex jus use the bladebut dont put to much pressure on the blade so u wont scratch ur window...
Old 07-12-2008, 10:57 PM
It Wasn't Me!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Trying to remove left over window tint residue any advise? (screech527)

On a cooler day just cover the package tray with towels and use a window cleaner like windex. Spray the window down and let it soak, don't let it dry. Use a towel or rag that you don't care about but is still soft to clean it off. It takes a while and your arm gets sore but it works. Don't use anything to scrape it. Even a plastic scraper at the wrong angle can break a defroster grid.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:07 AM

Default Re: Trying to remove left over window tint residue any advise? (someone else)

Hey Someone else,

Thanks for your input but using a window cleaner would probably work but would take me probably 3 hours of hard scrubbing and that just ain't going to cut it for me....

So I'm still in search of a safe chemical solvent that easily strips off the left over window tint adhesive on my rear window without having to use a razor blade.

Any suggestions fellas?
Old 07-13-2008, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trying to remove left over window tint residue any advise? (vtec_head)

googone
Old 07-13-2008, 06:18 AM

I have used a spray cleaner made by KAWASAKI called WIPE DOWN. If there is a Kawasaki dealer near you they might have it in stock. The important thing to know about using this stuff is you have to spray it on and leave it on the area for10-15 minutes to let it soak in. You should be able to wipe it off with a rag or on glass you might have to use 00 or 000 steel wool for heavy or stubborn spots. This stuff works great for those bug spots on the front of your car too, but definately do not use steel wool for painted surfaces. If you use it on any painted surface be sure to apply wax after removing it because it strips any wax or polish or sealer you have on your paint.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:54 AM
It Wasn't Me!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec_head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Someone else,

Thanks for your input but using a window cleaner would probably work but would take me probably 3 hours of hard scrubbing and that just ain't going to cut it for me....

So I'm still in search of a safe chemical solvent that easily strips off the left over window tint adhesive on my rear window without having to use a razor blade.

Any suggestions fellas?</TD></TR></TABLE>

As long as you cover the package tray something like:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by downeyballz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">googone</TD></TR></TABLE>

or Goof-Off works well. Most likely they wouldn't hurt the package tray anyway but it never hurts to be safe.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:01 PM

water and a razor, it wont cut the lines.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Trying to remove left over window tint residue any advise? (foolercooler)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foolercooler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">water and a razor, it wont cut the lines.</TD></TR></TABLE>

water won't but a razor will easily cut the defroster lines.

c'mon dude!