Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Timing belt issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt issue

I have changed several timing belts on honda accord/tl and ran into an issue with the current v6 I am changing. I pulled the tensioner to release the tension and the tension pulley moved some, but apparently not enough. I had the belt marked at the appropriate places. I pulled the belt off the front cam and the rear cam sprung forwar, which has now messed up the position of the cam. When the cam sprung, it also move the crank a little. I was able to move the rear cam back to the line, so it is in the right position and I was able to move the crank back to the proper mark. I marked the new belt. When I put the new belt on there is an issue. The front and back cam do no line up with their marks. I re-counted the teeth, and the belts are marked the same. The crank and the front cam line up and the cam and the rear cam line up, but not all together. What do I do?
Old 01-04-2019, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Timing belt issue

I talked with a mechanic and got the answer. I set the front and rear cam to their marks and I also set the crank to its mark. I then put the timing belt on, making it tight from the crank to the front cam and then tight from the front cam to the rear cam. The extra belt was on the tensioner side, which is between the crank and the rear cam. It worked well and cranked over with no issues, clanging or banging.