Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Timing Belt on 06 6-6speed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt on 06 6-6speed?

Has anyone done the timing belt on their one of the Accord V6 6speeds? I'm asking in particular because I'm needing to either do it or get it done on my 06. I've never done a timing belt before, or anything even similar, but I've yet to find a single shop in my area that I trust, and I'm not looking forward to paying outrageous amounts to get it changed. I have basic mechanical knowledge, and can do a decent bit of work to the cars, but I've never done something like this. I normally do fluid changes, brake work, a/c work, have changed out ball joints, struts, etc. So I'm just wondering if anyone has a write up or directions for this timing belt, and if it's something that a novice backyard mechanic like myself should even try to attempt, or if I should just pony up the cash and pay someone to do it? My biggest fear in addition to paying a ton to get it done, is that they won't really change it, and just charge me for it. Or charge me about 2-3 times what it should cost. Those two things both seem to be common in this area.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Timing Belt on 06 6-6speed?

I plan to do my own timing belt this fall. I posted a link below with a how-to with pictures. It's on an Acura TL but the engines are the same as ours, as far as the timing belt is concerned. I would not depend on the how-to alone, to do the job. I suggest getting a Helm service manual, if you don't have one. Go through all the steps in the service manual, and that should give you some idea if you want to do it yourself or not. Link below
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695821
Old 07-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got quoted for it at about $400 ad that included all the other belts too because you have to take them off to get the new one on.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jakefrom
I got quoted for it at about $400 ad that included all the other belts too because you have to take them off to get the new one on.
Are they going to change anything else? Water pump, tensioner, pulleys? Seems like a very low price for this job.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Believe water pump also. I live in a low income area with a higher than average income.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Has anyone done the timing belt on their one of the Accord V6 6speeds? I'm asking in particular because I'm needing to either do it or get it done on my 06. I've never done a timing belt before, or anything even similar, but I've yet to find a single shop in my area that I trust, and I'm not looking forward to paying outrageous amounts to get it changed. I have basic mechanical knowledge, and can do a decent bit of work to the cars, but I've never done something like this. I normally do fluid changes, brake work, a/c work, have changed out ball joints, struts, etc. So I'm just wondering if anyone has a write up or directions for this timing belt, and if it's something that a novice backyard mechanic like myself should even try to attempt, or if I should just pony up the cash and pay someone to do it? My biggest fear in addition to paying a ton to get it done, is that they won't really change it, and just charge me for it. Or charge me about 2-3 times what it should cost. Those two things both seem to be common in this area.
Hmmm its not quite novice work. It can be a little daunting if you are not familiar with the procedure. Do it wrong and you can damage your engine....
Old 07-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jakefrom
Believe water pump also. I live in a low income area with a higher than average income.
Still, that will barely cover the cost of parts. I would shy away from a 400 dollar t-belt job on this car. 400 dollars screams cheap parts, bad mechanic or both....
Old 07-24-2011, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
Still, that will barely cover the cost of parts. I would shy away from a 400 dollar t-belt job on this car. 400 dollars screams cheap parts, bad mechanic or both....
I understand where your coming from, but ive been going to the place for years, great work and very trust worthy.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well considering its a close to a 3rd of the normal price i hope so.

like mentioned.. $400 is about the price of parts alone... i would double check they are changing all belts and water pump.. otherwise they arent making any money..
Old 07-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So what parts should I replace here? Anyone have a parts list? A local shop says they will do it for $300 labor, if I bring the Honda parts. I'm thinking of just going this route as I really don't want to mess with it.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So what parts should I replace here? Anyone have a parts list? A local shop says they will do it for $300 labor, if I bring the Honda parts. I'm thinking of just going this route as I really don't want to mess with it.
Problem is, you don't really know, until you open it up. There could be a leaking tensioner, leaking seals, bad pulley, etc. I already have the belt and the water pump, and I will probably buy a tensioner before I do the job. I'll take my chances with the rest. If you were to buy everything (belt, tensioner, pulleys, seals) you would end up paying $500 or more, just for parts.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are gonna do it yourself i would deff buy a new tensioner. I have done many t-belts at my dealership and about 9 out of 10 v6's need one. Its worth buying it just to be safe.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeanHondaPGH
If you are gonna do it yourself i would deff buy a new tensioner. I have done many t-belts at my dealership and about 9 out of 10 v6's need one. Its worth buying it just to be safe.

You've convinced me! I will have the tensioner by the time I do it. How about valve adjustment? Is it needed, even if they don't make noise?
Old 07-29-2011, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont have to adjust them, but if your changing the belt, Im guessing the mileage is 90k+
so it would be a good idea too. Here are the specs
Valve Clearance
Intake:
0.20-0.24 mm (0.008-0.009 in.)

Exhaust:
0.28-0.32 mm (0.011-0.013 in.)
Old 07-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
You've convinced me! I will have the tensioner by the time I do it. How about valve adjustment? Is it needed, even if they don't make noise?
Yes. A tight valve will not make any noise, and that is generally what happens to Honda valves, they tighten up. Allowing this condition to occur for too long will cause valve damage initially and then head damage.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys. I called a local shop finally this morning that specializes in Honda's and uses only Honda parts, and I got quoted $840 for them to do it with changing the adjuster. I made an appointment for tomorrow as everywhere else I called is going to be more it seems.

They recommended I not change the tensioner and it's $120 of that, but after reading on here, I feel I really should. They said they have done tons of them and they have only ever replaced 2 tensioners.

The other thing they aren't changing is the pulleys. They said that there is absolutely no reason to replace the pulleys and that they don't hardly ever go bad. Do you think I should listen to this, or should I make them do the pulleys while in there?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys. I called a local shop finally this morning that specializes in Honda's and uses only Honda parts, and I got quoted $840 for them to do it with changing the adjuster. I made an appointment for tomorrow as everywhere else I called is going to be more it seems.

They recommended I not change the tensioner and it's $120 of that, but after reading on here, I feel I really should. They said they have done tons of them and they have only ever replaced 2 tensioners.

The other thing they aren't changing is the pulleys. They said that there is absolutely no reason to replace the pulleys and that they don't hardly ever go bad. Do you think I should listen to this, or should I make them do the pulleys while in there?
What pulleys? Odd that they did not suggest a new tensioner. Ask them what their warranty is? Ask them if they are willing to replace the engine in the event of a tensioner failure after they replace the belt. The timing belt is usually replaced about every 7-10 years. I would not trust a hydraulic tensioner to last 15-20 years.