Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Techron

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 07:35 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Techron

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
So, you saying the additives don't do anything?
That's NOT what what I'm saying. It goes back to my original reply that ALL gas (in a region) is the same, made by the same company. The only difference is the additives. All gasoline are require by law to have additives that meet or exceed EPA standards.

On the flip side, in my case, if that refinery was own and operated by Chevron, then the gasoline for Arco would come from there. So would the gas for Shell stations, or Chuck's Gas on main street. They would all be selling gasoline "made by Chevron."

The bottom line of my point is that there is no "bad" gas. Again, they are all the same (with different brand additives). What can be "bad" is whether or not the station changes the pump filters. Or if there is a leak in the under ground tank.

Does Chevron changes their filter more often and have a stronger tank that won't leak so rain water does not leak in, vs Arco or Shell? No. You could get bad gas at a Chevron station just like the gas from Chuck's Gas could be excellent.

BTW, also, brand gas also protect their brand and branding. You will never see a Chevron truck carry gas for Arco. But you will see no-marking tanker off loading fuel in a Chevron station. Is that really Chevron gas? Most likely yes, but maybe not.

To order a truck load, the order need to be done 6 hours ahead (SF bay area). 6 hours is a lot of time. So lot of thinking and lots of guess work. The profit on gas is $0.07 to $0.11 and sometimes $0.13 per gallon. You make more on selling water. So the pumps need to be moving a trucks need to be dropping their load.

My point is, when a station need gas, the refinery will provide and the truck is on it's way. Sometimes, they do drop off Brand X gas to a name brand station in tight or emergency situations.

It's a business. And business need to keep moving. A gas station out of gas is a major big problem. Owners will do whatever it takes. Does the district manager know that? Yes, it's a part of business. Dollars need to flow. Forget what the company line say....they got an image brand to protect. But dollars are the real life.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew
That's NOT what what I'm saying. It goes back to my original reply that ALL gas (in a region) is the same, made by the same company. The only difference is the additives. All gasoline are require by law to have additives that meet or exceed EPA standards.

On the flip side, in my case, if that refinery was own and operated by Chevron, then the gasoline for Arco would come from there. So would the gas for Shell stations, or Chuck's Gas on main street. They would all be selling gasoline "made by Chevron."

The bottom line of my point is that there is no "bad" gas. Again, they are all the same (with different brand additives). What can be "bad" is whether or not the station changes the pump filters. Or if there is a leak in the under ground tank.

Does Chevron changes their filter more often and have a stronger tank that won't leak so rain water does not leak in, vs Arco or Shell? No. You could get bad gas at a Chevron station just like the gas from Chuck's Gas could be excellent.

BTW, also, brand gas also protect their brand and branding. You will never see a Chevron truck carry gas for Arco. But you will see no-marking tanker off loading fuel in a Chevron station. Is that really Chevron gas? Most likely yes, but maybe not.

To order a truck load, the order need to be done 6 hours ahead (SF bay area). 6 hours is a lot of time. So lot of thinking and lots of guess work. The profit on gas is $0.07 to $0.11 and sometimes $0.13 per gallon. You make more on selling water. So the pumps need to be moving a trucks need to be dropping their load.

My point is, when a station need gas, the refinery will provide and the truck is on it's way. Sometimes, they do drop off Brand X gas to a name brand station in tight or emergency situations.

It's a business. And business need to keep moving. A gas station out of gas is a major big problem. Owners will do whatever it takes. Does the district manager know that? Yes, it's a part of business. Dollars need to flow. Forget what the company line say....they got an image brand to protect. But dollars are the real life.
Cool story....but does nothing for your claim that all gas is the same. I agree that they all come from the same refinery in a particular region,but the additive packages is what separate good gas from junk.......

Saying all gas is the same because it all has the same base formulation is like saying all oil is the same or all coolants are the same because they also start off with the same base formula......
Old 04-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All of that, and you didn't answer my question. Do the additives matter, in your opinion? I think they do, or there would be no "top tier" gas recommendation from the car makers. The additives/detergents are what keeps your fuel system clean.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:08 PM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
All of that, and you didn't answer my question. Do the additives matter, in your opinion? I think they do, or there would be no "top tier" gas recommendation from the car makers. The additives/detergents are what keeps your fuel system clean.
I think we are coming to a full circle. My statement that lead to all of this was that there was "no bad gas." They are all the same except for the additives.

I too, like to believe that Chevron's additives are "better" as I used fuel injection cleaners and additives myself. Why? I don't know. It's what I always have done on all my cars. Like someone said above, I really don't notice any difference between 10 miles and 110,000 mile cars and 200K+ whether I used it once every year, or once every 30K miles. It's a passenger car afterall, not a race car.

If you want an honest answer. The answer is no, it was what I was told because I asked the same question a long time ago. Chevron is not all that special and not much different from the additives other brand uses. There are no superior additives or inferior additives. Just different formula, along the lines of Pepsi and Coke. We can add RC to the mix. All the same, no?
Old 04-05-2014, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I do believe some detergents are better than others, just like some household brand name cleaners are better than the store brand cleaners. I also believe that using the same brand of gas is a good idea, so I've chosen Texaco/Chevron because I can usually find it wherever I go. I decided to try Conoco gas once, because it claims to have no ethanol, but I found the engine was louder with the Conoco so I switched back to Texaco with 10% ethanol. I would rather not buy say Sam's club gas, and add bottles of Techron to it, and just buy Texaco/Chevron with the Techron already in it. Maybe it's all in my head, and I've fallen for the marketing, but my engine still runs as smooth and quiet as ever, so I'm sticking with it. I hear what you're saying about it all being the same gas, but I do believe the additives make a difference in the long run.