Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Super hi temp urea grease

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Super hi temp urea grease

I stop by the dealership to get some calliper grease. The guy comes back, hands me this (super hi temp urea grease), and says no charge. Is this good for calliper pins? I assume, being super hi temp, it is as good or better than regular calliper grease. I looked in the service manual, and it says to use this super hi temp for the throttle cable end (throttle link). There is nothing on the container, about application.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Super hi temp urea grease

i use it on cv axles and on the splines when installing a clutch.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honda's recommended materials descriptions:

Super High Temperature Urea Grease P/N 08798-9002
Description and/or Usage
Medium-viscosity grease used to lubricate parts with metal-to-metal and metal-to-plastic contact. It’s good for mainshaft splines and clutch pivot points.

Honda Caliper Grease P/N 08C30-B0224M
Description and/or Usage
High-temperature, silicone-based grease used to lubricate caliper slide pins.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

redbull, I know what the service manual says to use, but I guess the dealership didn't have the calliper grease, so they gave me the hi temp urea. What I want to know is, is there any reason this grease would not work for the calliper pins? Seems like it would be, and the parts guy just handed it to me, and said no charge. I figured I would find some application information on the label, but there is none. People say they use the anti-seize on the pins, but I thought that was just for the pad backing and shims. I think the urea grease would be better than the anti-seize stuff (molly paste) on the pins. Am I wrong?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:06 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

I just use standard slide pin grease, but It'll work fine.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the help guys. I just wanted to get something better than regular bearing grease for the heat. I'm going to try the urea on the pins, if it doesn't work out, I'll surely let you know. Hard to believe the dealership didn't have the calliper grease. Seems like they would use it in the shop. Maybe they don't??????
Old 03-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
redbull, I know what the service manual says to use, but I guess the dealership didn't have the calliper grease, so they gave me the hi temp urea. What I want to know is, is there any reason this grease would not work for the calliper pins? Seems like it would be, and the parts guy just handed it to me, and said no charge. I figured I would find some application information on the label, but there is none. People say they use the anti-seize on the pins, but I thought that was just for the pad backing and shims. I think the urea grease would be better than the anti-seize stuff (molly paste) on the pins. Am I wrong?
Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
There is nothing on the container, about application.
What I posted was from Honda's TSB regarding the recommended usage description, since in your first post you stated the container did not state application. See attached. I wasn't trying to re-state what the service manual says.

There are many mechanics that use the urea grease on the slide pins. I prefer the standard slide pin grease from Honda.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Recommended materials A99-030.pdf (203.5 KB, 5272 views)
Old 03-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what I use if i don't have any extra Honda grease around when doing the brakes.
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a big price difference between Honda's urea grease and silicone grease, that may be why the dealership didn't stock it.

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-S...8798-9002.aspx

http://www.bernardiparts.com/products/08C30-B0224M.aspx
Old 03-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the list redbull. I saved a copy of that for future reference. But don't you think some of those lubricants and fluids are qualified to do more than just the job listed? Designed to do one job, but completely able to do another. Are you saying you would not use the urea grease for the calliper pins?
Old 03-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Sure, I agree one lubricant can be used for multiple types of applications. Honda OEM brake pads comes with a little pack of grease. Several years ago, I was trying to buy the Honda silicone grease; but, the dealer didn't have it. So, I just went to Pep Boys or Autozone (I don't remember) to buy the CRC synthetic grease and called it a day.
The Mollykote77, or whatever Honda packages with the pads is only supposed to be used on the pads/shims right? So I needed something for the pins. Would you use the urea? or get some CRC?
Old 03-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you generally want something synthetic so its safe with rubber parts on sliders . thats only thing i would worry about as long as its high temp and not to thick where it might cake up .
Old 03-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The urea is synthetic, and not really thicker than say the Moly. I've noticed the moly kind of dries up some on the pad backing, so I don't want to use that on the pins.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm pretty sure the urea grease was expensive when i purchased it from honda. u got yours for free?
Old 03-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jmaze
i'm pretty sure the urea grease was expensive when i purchased it from honda. u got yours for free?
Sure did. I didn't even ask why. I assumed it was because it wasn't specifically "calliper" grease. The price at an on-line dealer was $10 (1.75 oz). It's probably $15, at least, at the dealership. I usually buy my stuff from HandA on-line, so it's not like they know me and want to be nice. Maybe they are trying to get me to go there more often. Heck, maybe he was just too lazy to look up the price. Who knows, but I didn't look the gift horse in the mouth.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:44 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

NEVER use the molycoat packet that comes with the pads on slide pins!
Old 03-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wasn't going to use the molycoat on the pins. Some people say they have, without problems, but it seems like that stuff dries/cakes up over time from the heat. The urea grease looks like it will work much better.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been using urea on slide pins for years and it works great. I have seen the grease at the next brake job and still holding well even 2-3 years later.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What made my wonder is when the guy just handed me the jar, and said "no charge". Kind of made me think he was giving me some cheap stuff he wouldn't use on his Murry bicycle chain. I'm still wondering why????
Old 03-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

at this day and age getting something free is great. ive spent countless amounts of dollars at the Honda dealer and only scored a few washers for free.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as a honda tech i use that **** on everything.. its good for pins, its good for damn near anything u can imagine.. a lot of other shops around here buy it by the dozen ( including the Porsche garage)
Old 04-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: Super hi temp urea grease

Urea Grease is great for CV axles and clutch assemblies where there is constant friction that could break down over constant use (thus the medium viscosity and super high temperature range). Honda superceded their caliper grease to their silicone grease (the nearly $45 100g tube). It can be used on certain rubber and plastic without disintergration, swelling or discoloration. It has a great temperature range (-40 to 400C) and is silica-based. Other greases that are hydrocabon-based, can discolor, swell, or eat the rubber away. Moly-based grease is used on the back of pads to polish the shims and pads to prevent noise and rubbing by smoothing up friction points. To sum it all up, every piece of rubber is different and each grease serves a different purpose. if the manual says use a specific grease, just use the specific grease. an alternative for the honda silicone grease is dow corning 111 (they use it at acura) and its about $10-$15. as for the reason why your parts guy gave you that grease, the shop rarely uses it, its too much to afford so they have alternatives (sad to say, i worked for one for some time), and not alot of people use it anyway, so why not give it away if no ones going to pay for it. btw honda always carry the chemicals, you just have to nag them to get it, theyre too lazy