Stuck seat belt on 2004 Accord Coupe! - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Stuck seat belt on 2004 Accord Coupe!

Reply

 
 
 
Old 02-06-2010, 12:09 PM
  #1  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
wakaranai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SF, CA, USA
Posts: 1,576
Default Stuck seat belt on 2004 Accord Coupe!

A buddy of mine recently had a minor fender bender at 20mph. He rear ended someone and now his seat belt is stuck.

It will not retract or "expand." He is able to buckle and unbuckle it, but it is stuck in one position. Apparently, the dealership wants to charge him $200 just to look at it. I have experience with seatbelts on EF's and DA Integras, but I haven't messed with Accord belts.

Any ideas before I take this thing apart!? Help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
wakaranai is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:12 PM
  #2  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: muncie indiana
Posts: 595
Default Re: Stuck seat belt on 2004 Accord Coupe!

No seat belts are covered under Hondas lifetime warrenty. If his dealer wont look at it take it somewhere else and report that dealer. Call them and tell them you want the number for the district area manager or even the region manager. Seat belts are inspected and replaced free. That dealer is trying to screw him out of money
TheAsian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:02 PM
  #3  
Honda-Tech Member
 
KWayRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MS, USA
Posts: 960
Default Re: Stuck seat belt on 2004 Accord Coupe!

Originally Posted by TheAsian View Post
No seat belts are covered under Hondas lifetime warrenty. If his dealer wont look at it take it somewhere else and report that dealer. Call them and tell them you want the number for the district area manager or even the region manager. Seat belts are inspected and replaced free. That dealer is trying to screw him out of money
You should not give out this kind of misinformation. Giving someone this advise is haphazard without knowing any details. Even if you did get a DPSM District PArts and Service Manager involved he/ she would say to take it in, get it checked out and then call with the dealer's diagnosis. That means still agreeing to a check out fee, but when the truth came out about a accident and deployment then your buddy would look like a real *** after making demands and accusations without any real reason besides some guy on Honda tech told me so. If you work on cars for a living then you would know how it feels when a customer who comes to you for knowledge and expertise that you have and then upon recieving the outcome tells you that you might be wrong becuase "I read on the internet where blah blah blah". Every car repair professional instantly thinks well if you were so damned smart and savvy then why are you here in front of me seeking my assistance?. Anyway, SRS diagnosis should be like any other. Agree to an hour of check out. If the repair is deemed as warranty then the check out fee is waived and warranty picks up the tab. If it is CP or customer pay then a estimate is made leaving the customer the optin to repair for x amount or decline the recommended repairs, pay the diagnostic fee and then do whatever they want with the information.This is how all shops operate. Otherwise, everyone would bring their car in to find out what is wrong for free and then just effect the repairs themselves. In many ways it is an insult to the people who diagnose and repair vehicles professionally... implying their expert opinion and experience is worthless.
While Honda does have a lifetime seat belt warranty that does not apply to wrecked vehicles nor does it cover deployed units.
Is your friends SRS light on after the collision?
I'll bet it is. Since your friend was in an accident and had his seat belt on the SRS sytem detemined the severity of the accident was not great enough to deploy the Driver's airbag but was enough to set the seat belt pre tensioner off. The belt pretensioner ignites a charge in the seat belt tensioner that essentialy pulls the seat belt tight to draw the driver closer to the seat frame and make them more one with the car. When this tensioner has deployed the seat belt and SRS control unit will need to be replaced. Sorry but your buddy did wreck his car.
Sounds like it maybe time to call the adjuster.....uh oh.
KWayRacing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:37 PM
  #4  
Honda-Tech Member
 
99blackcivicSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Alexandria, Va, USA
Posts: 3,532
Default Re: Stuck seat belt on 2004 Accord Coupe!

Originally Posted by KWayRacing View Post
You should not give out this kind of misinformation. Giving someone this advise is haphazard without knowing any details. Even if you did get a DPSM District PArts and Service Manager involved he/ she would say to take it in, get it checked out and then call with the dealer's diagnosis. That means still agreeing to a check out fee, but when the truth came out about a accident and deployment then your buddy would look like a real *** after making demands and accusations without any real reason besides some guy on Honda tech told me so. If you work on cars for a living then you would know how it feels when a customer who comes to you for knowledge and expertise that you have and then upon recieving the outcome tells you that you might be wrong becuase "I read on the internet where blah blah blah". Every car repair professional instantly thinks well if you were so damned smart and savvy then why are you here in front of me seeking my assistance?. Anyway, SRS diagnosis should be like any other. Agree to an hour of check out. If the repair is deemed as warranty then the check out fee is waived and warranty picks up the tab. If it is CP or customer pay then a estimate is made leaving the customer the optin to repair for x amount or decline the recommended repairs, pay the diagnostic fee and then do whatever they want with the information.This is how all shops operate. Otherwise, everyone would bring their car in to find out what is wrong for free and then just effect the repairs themselves. In many ways it is an insult to the people who diagnose and repair vehicles professionally... implying their expert opinion and experience is worthless.
While Honda does have a lifetime seat belt warranty that does not apply to wrecked vehicles nor does it cover deployed units.
Is your friends SRS light on after the collision?
I'll bet it is. Since your friend was in an accident and had his seat belt on the SRS sytem detemined the severity of the accident was not great enough to deploy the Driver's airbag but was enough to set the seat belt pre tensioner off. The belt pretensioner ignites a charge in the seat belt tensioner that essentialy pulls the seat belt tight to draw the driver closer to the seat frame and make them more one with the car. When this tensioner has deployed the seat belt and SRS control unit will need to be replaced. Sorry but your buddy did wreck his car.
Sounds like it maybe time to call the adjuster.....uh oh.
100% correct everything i was going to say
99blackcivicSi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:08 PM
  #5  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: muncie indiana
Posts: 595
Default Re: Stuck seat belt on 2004 Accord Coupe!

Originally Posted by KWayRacing View Post
You should not give out this kind of misinformation. Giving someone this advise is haphazard without knowing any details. Even if you did get a DPSM District PArts and Service Manager involved he/ she would say to take it in, get it checked out and then call with the dealer's diagnosis. That means still agreeing to a check out fee, but when the truth came out about a accident and deployment then your buddy would look like a real *** after making demands and accusations without any real reason besides some guy on Honda tech told me so. If you work on cars for a living then you would know how it feels when a customer who comes to you for knowledge and expertise that you have and then upon recieving the outcome tells you that you might be wrong becuase "I read on the internet where blah blah blah". Every car repair professional instantly thinks well if you were so damned smart and savvy then why are you here in front of me seeking my assistance?. Anyway, SRS diagnosis should be like any other. Agree to an hour of check out. If the repair is deemed as warranty then the check out fee is waived and warranty picks up the tab. If it is CP or customer pay then a estimate is made leaving the customer the optin to repair for x amount or decline the recommended repairs, pay the diagnostic fee and then do whatever they want with the information.This is how all shops operate. Otherwise, everyone would bring their car in to find out what is wrong for free and then just effect the repairs themselves. In many ways it is an insult to the people who diagnose and repair vehicles professionally... implying their expert opinion and experience is worthless.
While Honda does have a lifetime seat belt warranty that does not apply to wrecked vehicles nor does it cover deployed units.
Is your friends SRS light on after the collision?
I'll bet it is. Since your friend was in an accident and had his seat belt on the SRS sytem detemined the severity of the accident was not great enough to deploy the Driver's airbag but was enough to set the seat belt pre tensioner off. The belt pretensioner ignites a charge in the seat belt tensioner that essentialy pulls the seat belt tight to draw the driver closer to the seat frame and make them more one with the car. When this tensioner has deployed the seat belt and SRS control unit will need to be replaced. Sorry but your buddy did wreck his car.
Sounds like it maybe time to call the adjuster.....uh oh.
Accident or not, Honda covers seat belts under warranty. Its called a lifetime seat belt warranty. You want to argue w/ me go ahead. Im a tech that works at a Honda dealer. Victory Honda of Muncie Indiana to be specific. Cars come over from the Body shop we take out the old seat belt buckles or seat belts put them in the box and send them back UNDER warrenty.
TheAsian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:46 PM
  #6  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
wakaranai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SF, CA, USA
Posts: 1,576
Default Re: Stuck seat belt on 2004 Accord Coupe!

Originally Posted by KWayRacing View Post
You should not give out this kind of misinformation. Giving someone this advise is haphazard without knowing any details. Even if you did get a DPSM District PArts and Service Manager involved he/ she would say to take it in, get it checked out and then call with the dealer's diagnosis. That means still agreeing to a check out fee, but when the truth came out about a accident and deployment then your buddy would look like a real *** after making demands and accusations without any real reason besides some guy on Honda tech told me so. If you work on cars for a living then you would know how it feels when a customer who comes to you for knowledge and expertise that you have and then upon recieving the outcome tells you that you might be wrong becuase "I read on the internet where blah blah blah". Every car repair professional instantly thinks well if you were so damned smart and savvy then why are you here in front of me seeking my assistance?. Anyway, SRS diagnosis should be like any other. Agree to an hour of check out. If the repair is deemed as warranty then the check out fee is waived and warranty picks up the tab. If it is CP or customer pay then a estimate is made leaving the customer the optin to repair for x amount or decline the recommended repairs, pay the diagnostic fee and then do whatever they want with the information.This is how all shops operate. Otherwise, everyone would bring their car in to find out what is wrong for free and then just effect the repairs themselves. In many ways it is an insult to the people who diagnose and repair vehicles professionally... implying their expert opinion and experience is worthless.
While Honda does have a lifetime seat belt warranty that does not apply to wrecked vehicles nor does it cover deployed units.
Is your friends SRS light on after the collision?
I'll bet it is. Since your friend was in an accident and had his seat belt on the SRS sytem detemined the severity of the accident was not great enough to deploy the Driver's airbag but was enough to set the seat belt pre tensioner off. The belt pretensioner ignites a charge in the seat belt tensioner that essentialy pulls the seat belt tight to draw the driver closer to the seat frame and make them more one with the car. When this tensioner has deployed the seat belt and SRS control unit will need to be replaced. Sorry but your buddy did wreck his car.
Sounds like it maybe time to call the adjuster.....uh oh.
Yeah, they will not replace it for free since it is in its current state due to an accident.

Bummer, so it sounds like he will have to get a new srs control unit and seat belt then. Thank you very much for the info.


Originally Posted by TheAsian View Post
Accident or not, Honda covers seat belts under warranty. Its called a lifetime seat belt warranty. You want to argue w/ me go ahead. Im a tech that works at a Honda dealer. Victory Honda of Muncie Indiana to be specific. Cars come over from the Body shop we take out the old seat belt buckles or seat belts put them in the box and send them back UNDER warrenty.
Interesting. I am aware that Honda will swap out a seat belt that fails on its own with wear and tear (had one ordered for my EF a while back), but Honda of San Francisco refused to repair my friend's Accord because it was damaged in an accident.
wakaranai is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:54 AM
  #7  
Honda-Tech Member
 
99blackcivicSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Alexandria, Va, USA
Posts: 3,532
Default Re: Stuck seat belt on 2004 Accord Coupe!

thats pretty interesting considering thats not correct as i'm sure your speaking with two other honda tech's. Accident is not a failure under factory if the pretensioner blew in the seatbelt (which the op's did) its not a failure it operated correctly, and its NOT A FAILURE. Just go ahead and tell us your dealer code so you can totally put your dealer out there ont he net for warranty fraud.
99blackcivicSi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:23 AM
  #8  
Honda-Tech Member
 
KWayRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MS, USA
Posts: 960
Default Re: Stuck seat belt on 2004 Accord Coupe!

Originally Posted by TheAsian View Post
Accident or not, Honda covers seat belts under warranty. Its called a lifetime seat belt warranty. You want to argue w/ me go ahead. Im a tech that works at a Honda dealer. Victory Honda of Muncie Indiana to be specific. Cars come over from the Body shop we take out the old seat belt buckles or seat belts put them in the box and send them back UNDER warrenty.
You are right Honda offers a lifetime seat belt warranty against manufacturer defects. Not deployment. I am not arguing with you, I am correcting you. Just because you work at a dealership means nothing since the info you are giving is loose at best. A lie is a lie, no matter who tells it. Maybe thats what you think is happening becuase you are not actually doing the repair. ANd if you are then you are commtting warranty fraud and thats a big no no. Either way good luck to the ops buddy.
KWayRacing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:13 AM
  #9  
Trial User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1
Icon6 Re: Stuck seat belt on 2004 Accord Coupe!

I literally just left the Honda dealer in downtown Sacramento after checking this board to see what my options should be. I asked the service advisor if the seat belt repair is covered under warranty, and she said only against manufacturer defects. Apparently not because my kid thought it'd be a good idea to get it tangled and locked into position. Safety hazard? Yes. Honda's problem? No. So I'll be paying whatever hourly labor rate to get it fixed, since it's working as designed.
acdubb is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
petedominic
General Discussion and Debate
3
04-27-2017 07:47 AM
Barry Brickey
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks
1
03-12-2017 05:50 AM
01celica_gts
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
7
01-17-2017 12:31 AM
jamali-boy
Transmission & Drivetrain
0
05-17-2016 11:13 PM
76 camaro car
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
17
02-22-2016 05:39 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stuck seat belt on 2004 Accord Coupe!


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: