Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

So my car runs better after first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So my car runs better after first oil change

I purchased my car about 8 months ago and my oil finally reached 15% and the service reminder light came on. So I changed the oil at the Honda service center and now my car runs much better. Is this just a perception or does a new oil help the car accelerate and run better?
Old 08-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you ever check your oil level in that time frame?
Old 08-21-2014, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So my car runs better after first oil change

Originally Posted by johnsc2235
Did you ever check your oil level in that time frame?
no... I simply relied on the oil monitor on the dash. could it have been lower then 15%?
Old 08-21-2014, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is just an indicator of oil life.. Not level.. You should start checking your oil level and add once you hit 50%
Old 08-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When people come into our dealer when we check their oil level at 15% most of the time they are low a quart or two...which is never a good idea..just add when needed.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:20 PM
Ferio Wdm Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Isnt the oil light just a dummy light? Unless its different for accords and such?
Old 08-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok now I'm confused. I hear that new cars don't need oil changes every 3000 miles. I thought you had to go by the reminder on your dash and the oil light. I guess I'm gonna start doing it manually.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:42 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

The maintenance minder "calculates" oil life based on engine operating conditions (both normal and severe). If the engine runs at higher temperatures and rpm, or at low temperatures during short trips, the oil life will deplete faster than an engine running under more normal conditions. The oil life indicator varies from owner to owner. Keep in mind, the oil life is calculated based on engine operating conditions, etc.; it does not actually analyze the oil quality or the level. For example, some people drive longer trips, some shorter trips, some people in traffic a lot, some drive it hard and rev it up, etc. -- You still need to check the actual oil level with the dipstick.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tech8
The maintenance minder "calculates" oil life based on engine operating conditions (both normal and severe). If the engine runs at higher temperatures and rpm, or at low temperatures during short trips, the oil life will deplete faster than an engine running under more normal conditions. The oil life indicator varies from owner to owner. Keep in mind, the oil life is calculated based on engine operating conditions, etc.; it does not actually analyze the oil quality or the level. For example, some people drive longer trips, some shorter trips, some people in traffic a lot, some drive it hard and rev it up, etc. -- You still need to check the actual oil level with the dipstick.
Thanks for the explanation. I drive my car on short trips about five days out of the week except on Sundays when I hit the highway. This is why it has taken 8 months since I purchased the car to do my first oil change. I bought it certified used. I will be checking the levels using the dipstick for now on. BTW, how many times should I be checking my oil?
Old 08-23-2014, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some people say check it every or every other gas fill up. I typically start doing that after the oil change has about 3000 miles on it since that's about the time your engine starts using it. We've seen lots of accords come in with 5-10% on their maintance minder and check the oil and they are 2.5-3 qts low.... Some times the oil light will flicker around corners, sometimes you'll hear the timing chain rattle... All due to lack of oil. If the oil light comes on it's too late.. Always check the oil and add when needed or you will damage the engine.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks! I don't think what you described was the case in my situation. The car was running well but it just runs better now. Also, the mechanics at Honda didn't tell me it was too low.

I did get a reminder to change my cabin filter soon.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mechanics are rarely if ever going to tell you it's lie if they are just changing oil with no other complaints. We just change the oil as there is really no reason to check the level prior to changing it unless there is a drivability concern. Just something to think about. Check oil and add when needed...
Old 08-23-2014, 08:39 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if this is a brand new car, you might be perceiving it running better as the engine just went through it's break in period,
Old 08-24-2014, 06:20 AM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

Try this, for the next month or so, periodically check the oil level (on a level surface, etc.) to see how much the oil level drops. Do this especially if the car has been driven hard, etc.

While is it normal for cars to burn some oil, there were some 8th generation Accord (4 and 6 cylinders) that may burn more oil due to the oil control rings.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:16 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

some of the other J32 guys say that an ECU reset make the car more lively... perhaps the dealer did that for you during your oil change?
Old 08-24-2014, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lostforawhile
if this is a brand new car, you might be perceiving it running better as the engine just went through it's break in period,

It is a certified used car I purchased back in September of last year. It should of been broken in.

Originally Posted by johnsc2235
Mechanics are rarely if ever going to tell you it's lie if they are just changing oil with no other complaints. We just change the oil as there is really no reason to check the level prior to changing it unless there is a drivability concern. Just something to think about. Check oil and add when needed...
I only assumed this because when I changed the oil at Jiffy Lube with my old car, they would note that the old was low when checked in.

Originally Posted by tech8
Try this, for the next month or so, periodically check the oil level (on a level surface, etc.) to see how much the oil level drops. Do this especially if the car has been driven hard, etc.

While is it normal for cars to burn some oil, there were some 8th generation Accord (4 and 6 cylinders) that may burn more oil due to the oil control rings.
Ok, will do. Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by MSchu
some of the other J32 guys say that an ECU reset make the car more lively... perhaps the dealer did that for you during your oil change?
Maybe, but shouldn't they tell me this?
Old 08-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thing is, there shouldn't be any noticeable change in engine performance, from simply changing the oil. That is why we are trying to come up with other reasons why the performance would be better now.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok. Must of then been driving on insufficient oil since I've purchased the car. The car has been driving the same way from the time I drove it off the car lot. Once the oil change was made, driving is noticeably better. Perhaps a ECU reset was made unbeknownst to me. Mystery.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whatever you do, check your oil. The oil change intervals get longer and longer, and more and more oil is consumed between them.