Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Shopping for tires & road noise is my #1 concern

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping for tires & road noise is my #1 concern

I'll need some new tires within the next 6 months and live in Hawaii so I'm dealing with terrible roads. I drive an 07 Accord with 17" wheels and they currently have what I believe are original equipment in Michelin tires which are crazy loud. Looking for something primarily quiet and good wet weather traction (it rains a lot). I only put 8-10,000 miles a year on the car so I'm not concerned with super long longevity. What recommendations does everyone have?
Old 05-25-2014, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Shopping for tires & road noise is my #1 concern

Originally Posted by 00siandrew
I'll need some new tires within the next 6 months and live in Hawaii so I'm dealing with terrible roads. I drive an 07 Accord with 17" wheels and they currently have what I believe are original equipment in Michelin tires which are crazy loud. Looking for something primarily quiet and good wet weather traction (it rains a lot). I only put 8-10,000 miles a year on the car so I'm not concerned with super long longevity. What recommendations does everyone have?
Tirerack.com has good reviews...
Old 05-26-2014, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DO NOT get Hankook, they're even noisier.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
Tirerack.com has good reviews...
...and tirerack says hankook is rated the best in class. I'm wanting to hear directly from others who have put tires on these cars specifically. The only other person to reply to this thread says hankooks should not be my first choice.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the New Michelin Premier A/S tires I bought are a little better then primacy MXV4 I had on there before. Don't buy Dunlop or Kumho tires those are just crappy tires and are noisy plus they don't last long. I wouldn't buy them If it where me I would buy another set of Michelins such as the Primacys MXV4 if you can still get them because Michelin is Discontinuing them And are being Replaced By the Premier A/S tire
Old 05-26-2014, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah right now I've got the MXM4 on the car and even when they had 80-90% tread they were noisy as *****. I kind of agree in thinking the MXV4's can't be much better, if better at all.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody is 100% happy with any tire. Generally touring all season tires are quieter than performance all seasons.

I'd rather have better grip, and deal with some road noise. General G-Max A/S 03 were a good all around tire. Bridgestone RE760's as well.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd like to thrown in a good word for Kumho after seeing the bad word before. I have Kumho Solus Xperts on my Accord right now (205/60/16), and I'm very happy with them. They might have been rebranded to be called the KH16 now, but I'm not positive if that's the same tire or not. I've had them for a little less than 3 years and 30k, they're showing very little wear (rated for 6 yrs/60k, and I think I'll easily make it there), they're every bit as good as the the Michelins (Defender series and Primacy series) and Firestones (Precision) series I've run prior to these. Their performance in the water is what has impressed me the most and will most likely keep me coming back.

As for the noise level, I can't say with much certainty. I bought my car used, and the guy who owned it before me installed a comptech exhaust system. On top of that, I bent one of my door frames a while back and it now allows a ton of wind noise into the cabin. Suffice it to say, road noise from the tires is imperceptible in my vehicle. There's too much other noise going on to tell how loud my tires are.

For what it's worth, if I could buy any tire I wanted regardless of cost, I'd go Pirelli. I've heard nothing but excellent things about their Cinturato line. You'll likely pay ~$100 more than you would for the Kumhos, but I don't think you'll find a better tire if all the hoopla is to be trusted.

As with many things car-related, every person you talk to is going to have a different opinion. Ask 10 different people for reasons they hate/love tire x, you're like to have 5 people saying they hate the tire for the same reason the other 5 people say they love it.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by johnnyb588
I'd like to thrown in a good word for Kumho after seeing the bad word before. I have Kumho Solus Xperts on my Accord right now (205/60/16), and I'm very happy with them. They might have been rebranded to be called the KH16 now, but I'm not positive if that's the same tire or not. I've had them for a little less than 3 years and 30k, they're showing very little wear (rated for 6 yrs/60k, and I think I'll easily make it there), they're every bit as good as the the Michelins (Defender series and Primacy series) and Firestones (Precision) series I've run prior to these. Their performance in the water is what has impressed me the most and will most likely keep me coming back.

As for the noise level, I can't say with much certainty. I bought my car used, and the guy who owned it before me installed a comptech exhaust system. On top of that, I bent one of my door frames a while back and it now allows a ton of wind noise into the cabin. Suffice it to say, road noise from the tires is imperceptible in my vehicle. There's too much other noise going on to tell how loud my tires are.

For what it's worth, if I could buy any tire I wanted regardless of cost, I'd go Pirelli. I've heard nothing but excellent things about their Cinturato line. You'll likely pay ~$100 more than you would for the Kumhos, but I don't think you'll find a better tire if all the hoopla is to be trusted.

As with many things car-related, every person you talk to is going to have a different opinion. Ask 10 different people for reasons they hate/love tire x, you're like to have 5 people saying they hate the tire for the same reason the other 5 people say they love it.

I absolutely agree with you about people's opinions on tires and I'm a believer that one tire might perform well on one vehicle and not so well on another. That's why I was asking in here what people liked on their 7th gen accords. It's a 4 door auto car so I'm not super concerned with superb handling/cornering, I just need whatever help I can get combating these loud *** roads here. Most paved roads here it sounds like you're going 40+ on a gravel road.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 00siandrew
...and tirerack says hankook is rated the best in class. I'm wanting to hear directly from others who have put tires on these cars specifically. The only other person to reply to this thread says hankooks should not be my first choice.
Hankooks are good, quiet tires....
Old 02-19-2015, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know that this is an old thread, but I just pulled a set of Hankook Optimo 727s off of an 07 Accord mainly because of the noise.I had just purchased the car and thought the car had one or more bad wheel bearings.After reading a few tire reviews, I learned that after 35-40 thousand miles these tires become what is described as "tempered" from the heating/cooling cycles and the tread becomes very hard which leads to the road noise and also creates a lack of traction on wet pavement.I replaced mine with Pirelli P-7s and the difference was daylight and dark.The first thing I noticed was that I could hear rain drops hitting my windshield.Most, if not all,road noise was gone.The tires that I removed looked good enough that the installer came to the waiting area to make sure he was working on the right car.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want quiet? Either Yokohama YK580 or Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S are very quiet. The Goodyears have better grip than the Yokohamas.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4dbull
I know that this is an old thread, but I just pulled a set of Hankook Optimo 727s off of an 07 Accord mainly because of the noise.I had just purchased the car and thought the car had one or more bad wheel bearings.After reading a few tire reviews, I learned that after 35-40 thousand miles these tires become what is described as "tempered" from the heating/cooling cycles and the tread becomes very hard which leads to the road noise and also creates a lack of traction on wet pavement.I replaced mine with Pirelli P-7s and the difference was daylight and dark.The first thing I noticed was that I could hear rain drops hitting my windshield.Most, if not all,road noise was gone.The tires that I removed looked good enough that the installer came to the waiting area to make sure he was working on the right car.
Any tire over 6 years old should be replaced. They ALL become hard/noisy after that many years,regardless of mileage......
Old 03-06-2015, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
Any tire over 6 years old should be replaced. They ALL become hard/noisy after that many years,regardless of mileage......
These were three years old and faithfully rotated.This appears to be a common problem with the "Optimo", if you do the research.The ones that I pulled off sounded worse than the Goodyear "Wranglers" on my wife's Jeep.
Attached Images