Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

seventh gen 6 speed owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seventh gen 6 speed owners

so basically im going to get buy a 2006 or 07 accord sedan with a manual transmission. still havent decided but was thinking 6-6, but after seeing this article i was having a second guess. any owners of 6-6 coupe or sedan take a look, give some input, thanks to anyone who does...

there are also two videos in the link

http://www.acurazine.com/forum...82010

here are other models such as the Acura TL and TSX with 6 speed transmissions and much of what will be discussed will apply more so to the TL. One of the females in the group loved the Accord Coupe and decided to buy a new 2006 EX with 6 Speed and navigation. After test driving older models and being upset with clutch take-up it seems the 2006 and 2007 models did not suffer from the issue so the purchase was made. After 1000 miles 3rd gear seemed difficult to engage or sometimes refused to engage at all and popped out when attempts were made. The female owner suspected it may just need to be broken in further. At 3000 miles the issues continued and the first trip was made to MotorWerks in Barrington, Illinois . This dealer has a good reputation in terms of repair and sales and most likely due to them selling higher end vehicles such as Porsche, BMW, and Maybach. After the usual day in the shop the owner got the call from the service manager saying that "They could not replicate the issue." This is a quote most Honda owners of these types of cars dread and have heard often.

At 10,000 miles the problem continues and the second attempt at dropping it off at the dealer returned the same result, nothing. Frustrated and upset the owner asked friends and a local Honda mechanic and they pointed her to a few websites that printed a Honda bulletin from the tech line about a different transmission fluid that may help her issue. She attempted to order it online and could not find it. After arguing with 3 dealers about the part number that dealers could not locate MotorWerks discovered their software for updates from Honda was out of date. Once they updated it they found the part number. At 14,000 miles the owner paid to swap out the transmission fluid in hopes it would help the issue. While she claimed it felt better, a few weeks later the gear pops were happening again. To avoid any comments on why the owner did not want to swap to GM or Penzoil Syncromesh, it was mainly because she wanted Honda to address the root of the problem and make a manufacturing fix.

Could Not Replicate the Problem:

Another call was placed to Motorwerks for an appointment, this time she wanted to ride with a mechanic. They agreed and had the shop foreman go with her and he drove the car. In the 10 minute ride he could not replicate the problem. He was very nice about the issue until he made the following comments:

"You have to press the clutch down all the way."

"These cars all have this problem it is normal."

"You cannot skip gears when you drive these cars."

The shop foreman confirmed the obvious for her. But the disturbing fact was they had no fix. After this visit she made appointments to the now out of business Crystal Lake Honda, Crystal Lake, IL, and Schaumburg Honda. Both visits were almost exactly the same which they recommended that she change the transmission fluid and that this was normal for the car.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My gears might be hard to get into when the car is not warmed up, but afterwards they are perfectly fine.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A little birdy told me Honda may be putting out a service bulletin on this issue later this month.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:24 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

With 60,000 on one car, 3rd gear engagement is becoming slightly difficult to securely engage 100% of the time.

I'd say that about 10% of the time you'd want to re-engage it to make sure that it took.

This does not seem to happen with spirited driving, only in normal, gentle driving.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (George Knighton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With 60,000 on one car, 3rd gear engagement is becoming slightly difficult to securely engage 100% of the time.

I'd say that about 10% of the time you'd want to re-engage it to make sure that it took.

This does not seem to happen with spirited driving, only in normal, gentle driving.</TD></TR></TABLE>
What brand transmission oil do you have in it? Have you tried changing it with Honda MTF?
Old 01-15-2008, 05:33 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (Chiovnidca)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chiovnidca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What brand transmission oil do you have in it? Have you tried changing it with Honda MTF? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Using the latest formulation of Honda MTF, the one w/the additives.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:11 PM

'07 6-speed sedan owner here and have experienced the same thing. I personally don't find it to be a chronic or a particularly troublesome issue...
Old 01-15-2008, 10:12 PM

Default Re: (macdriver)

i have until around the end my winter quarter here at school to finish before i am lookin to get the car, so that honda service bulletin hopefully does come out soon. the 6-6 sedan is the car i want cuz compared to the tsx, roughly same mpg but 60+ hp and i can use regular. i dont mind a problem like this if it is indeed not a troublesome issue, but i dont see how a gear not going in could not be a troublesome issue. so knighton and macdriver, how often is this? is it like in the video in the link?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Using the latest formulation of Honda MTF, the one w/the additives.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You would be surprised how often the type of fluid used affects the feel of the trans.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:27 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (SFSC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SFSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so knighton and macdriver, how often is this? is it like in the video in the link?</TD></TR></TABLE>
No, I have absolutely never had it pop out of gear like the video.

Every once in a while I just feel I need to re-select 3rd. It's a rare occasion in my case.

There are two 6-6's in the family, a Sedan and a Coupe, and in neither car has 3rd ever popped out.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
No, I have absolutely never had it pop out of gear like the video.

Every once in a while I just feel I need to re-select 3rd. It's a rare occasion in my case.

There are two 6-6's in the family, a Sedan and a Coupe, and in neither car has 3rd ever popped out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No need for me to add more - the above describes my experience. I'd buy the same car again today in a heart beat.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:49 AM

Default Re: (macdriver)

thanks for both your input...hopefully by the end of the quarter ill have stacked up the rest i need for this car. if anything else comes up with this issue, more is always appreciated, thanks again