Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Serious electrical problem - need help!

Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Serious electrical problem - need help!

Hey all,
So a while back I killed my already weak battery by playing with the stereo system I have with the car shut off. I tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over, so I lOcked the doors (first tried the remote, it wouldn't lock, so I manually locked them) and went home. The next morning it had accumulated enough of a charge to start up again. But several things weren't functioning anymore like:
The hi beams + DRL lights
Quick note: if I put the high beams on, my fog lights turn off, so it is doing something about it-but no high beams.
Keyless entry and the alarm (factory) - the orange blinking light underneath the gas-temp gauges doesn't come on anymore when locked up manually either.
Heat
Passenger side heated seat
Also I can't turn on the parking lights or work anything that needs power without turning the ignition on.
The extras my car has are an aftermarket stereo with amps, subs etc, hid low beams.
I've so far taken it to the dealership for diagnostics and of course, they have no clue. All the fuses, bulbs etc are fine, I've replaced the interior fuse box that contains the MICU and no changes.

In addition it's an 03 6-6 coupe and the service advisor said there was a whole bunch of error codes, about 7 or 8, mOstly related to MICU or some sort of communication error. He suggested it could be some kind of body control module but the parts guy couldn't find one on his computer. Do these 7th gen 6-6s have anything resembling a BCM aside from the MICU?
Old 10-18-2012, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Serious electrical problem - need help!

Dealerships don't normally like playing detective with aftermarket systems. When I was a service manager we hated when people came in with aftermarket alarms, sun rooms, lighting, or stereos. I would suggest that you take your vehicle to an aftermarket shop for diagnostics.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm wondering if the addition of HID kits have anything to do with these electrical problems. I've been reading a few threads maily because I am planning on installing a kit on my 07 Accord and noticing these types of posts.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 AM
Trial User

MICU is the multiplexer. I'm only familiar with mine on my 6th gen accord. The multiplexers are on the drivers and passenger side fuseboxs. Lots of basic functions are controlled on the right side (dome light, door locks, etc). I'm not sure about the 7th gen, but you should be able to find the multiplexer troubleshooting in the Honda Service Manual for your generation. There also might be a way to 'reset' both multiplexers.

I ordered a new passenger side fusebox when I needed to replace my multiplexer unit on eBay.

Also there is a wire connecting both of the multiplex units together so they can communicate. That could be the communication error (if one of them went bad).

Last edited by nayr14; 02-25-2013 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 02-25-2013, 12:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

It's hard to bring aftermarket stuff into the dealership to fiddle around with. That's why I try to keep my cars stock.

Good luck in your endeavors.