Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Sensor issue and Malfunction indicator lamp glowing

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sensor issue and Malfunction indicator lamp glowing

Hi,

I have a 2005 Honda accord. I have been perfectly maintaining it for 5 years now. No issues so far. Recently, I gave the car for a 60k service at a local service shop. All the necessary fluids were replaced and there was no issue seen. Then 2 days later, I saw the Malfunction lamp glowing. Looking at the manual, I understand that if I have not closed the fuel cap properly, the light will be on. But the weird part is I have not put fuel in the car atleast 7 days prior to giving for service. So I opened and closed the cap anyways.
Now I dont see the light glowing when I drive in the morning (drive only once) but if I take the car in the evening, the light comes back again.

Also, the local mechanic hooked up a computer and said the sensor is bad.
I forgot to ask him but how many sensors are there and is it the o2 sensor he is referring to ?
Old 12-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Sensor issue and Malfunction indicator lamp glowing

You need to get the trouble code, there are many sensors and more than one oxygen sensor. Additionally, after you get the trouble code, post it and how many cylinders your car has.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it normal for the malfunction lamp to NOT light in the morning when I drive the car for the first time but later on in the evening to glow ?

My car has 4 cylinders but what I can do to get the trouble code ?I dont any tools to get that information.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aim-high
is it normal for the malfunction lamp to NOT light in the morning when I drive the car for the first time but later on in the evening to glow ?

My car has 4 cylinders but what I can do to get the trouble code ?I dont any tools to get that information.
When the car is started, the malfunction indicator light normally comes on for 1-2 seconds and goes off if no problem detected. If the problem is detected during two consecutive drive cycles the malfunction indicator light will come on, and may go off if the problem for the sensor isn't continuously being detected in several more drive cycles.

For your car, it is detecting the problem during the evening as this is probably the second consecutive drive cycle with the problem detected.

Just ask the mechanic for the trouble code he previously got. Otherwise, go to an Autozone or something to get the code read when you have the light on. Something there will be a pending code even if the light is not on. Some Autozone will scan it for free.