Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Redesigned VTC actuator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redesigned VTC actuator?

I was reading somewhere that Honda has developed a redesigned vtc actuator that eliminates the rattle sound but I have been unable to find it. My car has TERRIBLE actuator rattle on cold start up and even CONTINUES to rattle while cold. It also has been rattling between 1500-2000 rpm lately. I find this pretty embarrassing honestly. Who likes to be driving along with their engine sounding like its falling apart? Honestly if I can't find this fix for this I may just put a new engine in it and cross my fingers. I really just can't take the rattle. Does that sound a bit extreme?

Anyways my first post on this forum, Hello everybody!!
Old 09-13-2014, 07:39 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Redesigned VTC actuator?

why dont you contact the dealer...
Old 09-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi

I need to ask you some questions about it if possible pls:

1-Does this noise sound like bad Valve clicking very high?
2-The noise you hear came in around 1300RPM speed?
3-This noise goes when the Engine gets hot?
4-This noise comes again when you leave the car for about 45-50 minutes before driving it again?
5-Do you have 2.4L Accord engine?

Waiting for your reply
Thanks
Sami
Old 09-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is no updated VTC actuator.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zouroub
Hi

I need to ask you some questions about it if possible pls:

1-Does this noise sound like bad Valve clicking very high?
2-The noise you hear came in around 1300RPM speed?
3-This noise goes when the Engine gets hot?
4-This noise comes again when you leave the car for about 45-50 minutes before driving it again?
5-Do you have 2.4L Accord engine?

Waiting for your reply
Thanks
Sami
Hey Sami,

I do have the 2.4L, it does NOT go away when the engine warms up, it does come again when the car sits for about an hour. The noise does come around 1300-1500 rpm, it doesn't sound like valve clicking at all.
Sorry it took so long to reply!
Old 09-15-2014, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MSchu
why dont you contact the dealer...
I did, they told me they couldn't verify the problem, and said I should try to use a different oil, then charged a diagnostic fee. Hands down the best costumer service. *sarcasm*
Old 09-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbopenguin
Hey Sami,

I do have the 2.4L, it does NOT go away when the engine warms up, it does come again when the car sits for about an hour. The noise does come around 1300-1500 rpm, it doesn't sound like valve clicking at all.
Sorry it took so long to reply!
Hi Again

90% is the VTC Actuator.
I have a 2006 Honda Accord, 2.4L Engine.
I hear the Noise only when the engine is cold, i dont hear it when start up for 3 seconds as other cars suffer, i hear it as bad clicking valve clicking in a high sound and only around 1300 RPM speed. Sound do comes again when i leave the car for about an hour.
I have tried Castrol 10-40, 5-20 and 5-30 Synthec Oil and its the same problem.
I repair my car in a honda place that i trust, he said that such sounds are mystery and need to do some guess to find out.
I changed: Belt, Belt pully tensioner, we checked the water pump, valve clearance by the book, Timing chain tensioners, all are OK.
So after all this, he said its the VTC Actuator no doubt, and it gives a different sound for every car when it has a problem.
I am hesitating really to change it now, i got used on this sound ONLY when the engine not warmed up (Fans didn't start), and most of times i keep the windows closed so i don't hear a thing.
I am a Honda Accord fan since 1990, but this 7th generation disappoint me a bit, vibrations when you start the AC compressor (all mounts are new), and the engine Vtech sound is not smooth.
But, one day, i will change it, hopping this problem is from it.
If you do change it my friend and your problem is solved, please let me know.

Good Luck
Sami
Old 09-15-2014, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zouroub
Hi Again

90% is the VTC Actuator.
I have a 2006 Honda Accord, 2.4L Engine.
I hear the Noise only when the engine is cold, i dont hear it when start up for 3 seconds as other cars suffer, i hear it as bad clicking valve clicking in a high sound and only around 1300 RPM speed. Sound do comes again when i leave the car for about an hour.
I have tried Castrol 10-40, 5-20 and 5-30 Synthec Oil and its the same problem.
I repair my car in a honda place that i trust, he said that such sounds are mystery and need to do some guess to find out.
I changed: Belt, Belt pully tensioner, we checked the water pump, valve clearance by the book, Timing chain tensioners, all are OK.
So after all this, he said its the VTC Actuator no doubt, and it gives a different sound for every car when it has a problem.
I am hesitating really to change it now, i got used on this sound ONLY when the engine not warmed up (Fans didn't start), and most of times i keep the windows closed so i don't hear a thing.
I am a Honda Accord fan since 1990, but this 7th generation disappoint me a bit, vibrations when you start the AC compressor (all mounts are new), and the engine Vtech sound is not smooth.
But, one day, i will change it, hopping this problem is from it.
If you do change it my friend and your problem is solved, please let me know.

Good
I have consulted a very experienced mechanic who has worked for Honda, he said unless they redesign or update the VTC actuator, replacing the actuator in an affected vehicle will only be a temporary fix if it even fixes it at all. As you see, most people that have had their actuator replaced have had the problem reoccur. I managed to find a nice engine, I am just going to replace the engine entirely. This may seem obsurd but its apparently my only option.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

replacing the engine will most likely put you in the same boat with lighter pockets. To me this sounds like a timing chain tensioner problem but I'd have to listen to it in person I'd guess... Before I'd do an engine I'd replace the actuator and tensioner.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes vtc actuators have issues... You can replace it but it's a 50/50 chance the noise will come back... Honda is aware of the issue.. They have called back vtc actuators, cams, heads, even complete engines.. They still do not have a "fix" but are trying to figure out why this happens to some and not all...
Old 09-22-2014, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well here's an update: the vtc actuator broke apart while the engine was running and completely locked the engine up. It's probably a good thing I have a new engine on the way. I've never heard of this happening though. I must just have extra bad luck