Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

recommended oil change timeline

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommended oil change timeline

Hi,

I am a new member to this forum. I own 2006 Honda Accord 2.4l_DOHC and have 49k miles on it. For last two visit to the Honda dealership for regular oil change, they have recommended power steering fluid change & transmission fluid change once and next time they recommended steering fluid change & brake fluid. I decline the service the first time. But now I wonder if i really need to change those fluids.

What is the recommended timeline to change power steering fluid, transmission fluid, brake fluids? I feel like transmission and steering fluid need not be changed so soon. I am not sure about brake fluids. I am also doubtful about the recommendation because, they are different since my last visit to dealership.

I would really appreciate if someone with experience with Honda car would share the information and advice on this matter.

Thank you for your time.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:33 PM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: recommended oil change timeline

do you have access to the owners manual that came with the car? that is a great place to start if you are unsure of mechanical service intervals
Old 09-27-2010, 08:08 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by morris029
Hi,

I am a new member to this forum. I own 2006 Honda Accord 2.4l_DOHC and have 49k miles on it. For last two visit to the Honda dealership for regular oil change, they have recommended power steering fluid change & transmission fluid change once and next time they recommended steering fluid change & brake fluid. I decline the service the first time. But now I wonder if i really need to change those fluids.

What is the recommended timeline to change power steering fluid, transmission fluid, brake fluids? I feel like transmission and steering fluid need not be changed so soon. I am not sure about brake fluids. I am also doubtful about the recommendation because, they are different since my last visit to dealership.

I would really appreciate if someone with experience with Honda car would share the information and advice on this matter.

Thank you for your time.
your car has a maintenance minder system to indicate via alphanumeric codes as to what the car needs. it is explained starting on page 191 of your owner's manual. this isn't some arbitrary system either, it uses a variety of variables to discern what's needed. the codes are broken down in your owner's manual. sometimes fluid changes given a length of time supersede the maintenance minder. for instance, i'm pretty sure your owner's manual will say that the brake fluid should be changed every 3 years no matter what. it also will say something like if the message ‘‘SERVICE OIL’’ does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.

regarding the transmission fluid, you didn't indicate if your car is automatic or manual, but symbol 3 on your maintenance minder will indicate it's time to change the fluid in an automatic. driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher transmission temperatures. this requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the maintenance minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed at 60,000 miles, then every 30,000 miles. So in the worst case scenario, they are saying it should be changed at 60k.

if the car is a manual you don't have the change the transmission fluid any time soon.

as far as your power steering fluid, i am fairly confident you do not have to change it very often at all. it is very easy to check the condition of this fluid, and if honda recommends the brake fluid to be changed at least every 3 years, then i'd say synthetic power steering fluid could be changed every other brake fluid change.

cliffs: find another honda dealership. they are taking you for a ride. report these activities to american honda, the district representatives for that particular dealership and the owners of the dealership.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you builthatch for the advice. That was helpful. I have automatic transmission. As suggested by MSchu, I looked at the manual, there i found recommendation for brake fluids every 3 yrs. I am second owner of this car. I bought it when the miles were 33000. I will probably change the brake fluids. Regarding transmission fluids, the manual says 60,000 then every 30,000. I live in fargo, which is totally flat and i mostly use car to drive to work which is only like 15 miles round trip. I dont see the necessity to change transmission fluid before 60,000. Finally, I couldn't find any information regarding power steering fluid. I would go with builthatch suggestion to change with every other brake fluid change. Thanks again for your input. Have a good one.