Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Rattling Noise????

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Rattling Noise????

Ok.... So I have another problem. So my car is almost reaching 100,000 miles. So i decided to change my transmission fluid. I should of taken it to the honda shop but i didn't. Took it to MIDAS (THEY SUCK BUTTSS!!) but anyways they changed it for me. I told them that i don't need it flush or anything just a simple drain and fill. They did exactly what i said and used honda's ATF. But after taking the car home it rattles from the bottom of the car. Took it back to them they said that my heat shield from the muffler is loose. I fixed that. But it still continue to make the noise.

so today i lifted the car up and check the underneath of it again. it sounds like they rattling noise is coming form the transmission. Do you guys think they did something wrong. They rattling noise only happens when starting it. and when driving it from 1st 2nd and sometime 3rd gear. I don't know whats they issue wit it.

Has anyone have this issue??? Or know anything about it... Thanks...
Old 05-22-2010, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rattling Noise????

It would be pretty difficult to mess up a drain and fill transmission service. About all they could mess up would be; incorrect fluid level, loose/missing dipstick or loose/over torqued drain plug. If those check good, i doubt it's anything they did directly.

Is the accord a I4 or V6? Could be the half shaft heat shield rattling. Can you be more descriptive about the rattle?
Old 05-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well the noise sounds exactly like the vibration of the heat shield. But while taking a look under the car, the heat shield is not vibrating at all.. the sound sounds like its either coming from the top side of the transmission, or some where near the down pipe... but nothings vibrating when looking underneath..

i dont know if this is a good enough description.. but ill try to put a video up...
Old 05-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: Rattling Noise????

Hey,

I have a similar issue with my 97 dx civic right now, I have a lil over 100K miles. I have a rattling noise in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. When I clutch in the noise disappears. and it only comes on at certain RPM. I went to my mechanic. And he told me he thinks it is the bearing in the transmission. I am going to go get a second opinion at AAMCO tomorrow. I will let you know what they find out there.

but my mechanic, told me it would need to replace or rebuild the transmission (one more expense i dont need).

Cedric
Old 05-26-2010, 02:12 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Check all exhaust heat shields and also the head shield on the intermediate shaft.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh no.. i hope its nothing wrong with the transmission??? I never had this problem with the car at all. Until i took it to midas to change the tranny fluid. kind of disappointed. Now this gonna cause me more money. which i don't have.

but yeah psyrage19, let me know. Should i take mines to a local shop to check it or to the honda dealer?? and do the honda dealer do a charge for just checking up on the car??? or should i just take it back to midas, since i believe they did something to it.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, letting you know the update. I am more confused now than ever.

I took my car to aamco this morning. they went for a drive and told me it is probably my clutch (throw out bearing). because yesterday mechanic told me it was the tranny. I took it to a first shop. and they told me it is most likely the tranny. 2vs1 not sure what to make of it.

the thing is that if your car problem is the tranny. if you change it you should change the clutch as well. 2 bird on stone.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Midas probably left a wrench under your hood. The dealer is always the best way to go bro. They only work on Hondas.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:37 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jvue
Now this gonna cause me more money. which i don't have.
If you can afford a low-mileage 2003+ Accord, you can afford to repair it. If you don't have money budgeted to do so, divert it. Adjust your priorities. Some things are more important than others - like being able to drive to work every day.

Should i take mines to a local shop to check it or to the honda dealer?? and do the honda dealer do a charge for just checking up on the car???
You should expect them to charge if they are spending their time to check your car for non-obvious noises. I don't work for free, I'm sure you don't work for free, and you shouldn't expect them to work for free either. If you don't want to pay them to figure it out for you, then you have no other options than to figure it out on your own or to ask a mechanically-inclined friend for a favor.

Originally Posted by psyrage19
I took my car to aamco this morning. they went for a drive and told me it is probably my clutch (throw out bearing). because yesterday mechanic told me it was the tranny. I took it to a first shop. and they told me it is most likely the tranny. 2vs1 not sure what to make of it.
If the noise goes away when the clutch pedal is pushed in, then it is not the clutch release bearing. The release bearing does not move until you push on the clutch pedal, at which point the bearing contacts the fingers of the pressure plate and starts to spin. You don't want to get in there and replace the clutch and release bearing only to still have the same noise problem when it's finished.

A growling/chattering noise that is heard when sitting at a stop in neutral with the clutch out and also when moving in the lower gears is usually caused by the inboard mainshaft bearing inside the trans case. It's a common problem on '88-05 D-series transmissions. Replacing the bearing (along with the main seal behind it) isn't difficult if you have a Helm manual and the tools and ability to drop the transmission. If you let it go too long though, it will fail completely, causing damage to the mainshaft and trans case and soaking the clutch disc in oil. At that point, you're looking at finding another transmission.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A growling/chattering noise that is heard when sitting at a stop in neutral with the clutch out and also when moving in the lower gears is usually caused by the inboard mainshaft bearing inside the trans case"

i recently got a 1997 honda prelude si and it is making this growling noise and when i turn the car off it makes the sound for a second and a slight rattle at the end would that maybe be the issue?

the person i got it from said it may need a throw out bearing but isnt that only if the sound is gone with the clutch pedal pushed in not just in neutral idling ?