Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Rare MT issue in 03 Accord 2.4L

Old 05-30-2017, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rare MT issue in 03 Accord 2.4L

HI fellas, I am having a issue/strange noise with my 03 Accord 5 speed, I've only had it for 2 months but I am not new to Honda. (Past- 89 Civic hatch 4 speed, 97 Civic LX, 99 TL, Current- 06 Pilot, 03 Accord) Any advise or help is much appreciated! Here it goes-

At first my shift cables were bad. Reverse was hard to get into since I bought the car but other than that the cables/bushings just felt soft. Went into gears fine but felt weak, not much feedback. One day I had to shift hard and fast into 2nd and punch it to avoid someone hitting me on my way home. Out of nowhere the next morning as soon as I started driving I noticed that while shifting into 2nd and 4th, it would still enter the gears with seemingly no issues... but I could still move the stick back further almost an inch before it would hit the back of the shift box and it would move back forward once I let go. I figured stretched cables... no biggie. Later the same day I noticed reverse was almost impossible to get into. After only a couple hours of driving like that (2nd & 4th being what I would call spongy)...

I STARTED HEARING A STRANGE NOISE and it only got louder as the day went on. Kind of like a "SHHHHHHH". Not really rattly, not really grindy... but almost like loud wind noise. More of a constant scraping sound. Maybe a gear type of noise, but subtle... definitely not like a reverse gear. So long story short that's why I'm posting.

What I discovered is A. The noise only happens while moving. B. While moving there is only ONE way to make the noise stop - depress the clutch pedal (engage the clutch) in neutral.

Other than B. I hear the noise while moving... doesn't matter what gear... doesn't matter if the clutch is engaged or disengaged. Again, the only time the noise goes away while moving is if I depress the pedal while the stick is in neutral.

I changed the $136 cables today (not hard, but not easy) hoping it would fix the noise "maybe by getting into gear better" but it hasn't. It does shift perfectly now, nice and firm and goes to reverse easily every time but the noise is still there.

ANY IDEAS???? I ordered Honda MTF tonight to change the gear oil but I doubt it'll help.

EDIT- Also I should add that I can't hear the noise with the AC fan on anything other than the lowest settings and/or with the radio on. The car seems to drive fine otherwise for the first hour or so, then once the clutch heats up it starts to shudder while taking off from a stop in 1st gear. It's done that since I bought it. The previous owner recently replaced the clutch and TOB with a performance clutch and had the flywheel resurfaced. I don't think it's a puck style clutch. This noise is new since around the time of the cable stretching but I suppose it could have started prior to and I just didn't notice, and it happens all the time now while moving except scenario B. The clutch still gets too grabby/shudders in first after it heats up good but also still slips smoothly at first. After I noticed the noise I parked the car for a few weeks till I could order and replace the cables today. Only drove for 15 minutes today with the new cables, "seemed" fine but the noise persists and I don't want to further any possible damage till I get it figured out. THANKS!

Last edited by SuperFast3000GT; 05-31-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rare MT issue in 03 Accord 2.4L

BUMP. Nobody???
Old 06-06-2017, 06:56 PM
Trial User

I guarantee your pilot bearing is shot.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:40 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noise with foot off clutch that goes away with foot on clutch generally points to the throwout bearing. Pilot bearings are next to impossible to kill.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Noise with foot off clutch that goes away with foot on clutch generally points to the throwout bearing. Pilot bearings are next to impossible to kill.
That's not the issue though. The noise is constant anytime I am moving except with my foot off the clutch in neutral. Beyond that, I hear the noise with my foot on OR off the clutch in any gear all the time while moving.

Only goes away with the clutch engaged (foot off) in Neutral...that's it. (or if I come to a stop)
Old 06-09-2017, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the input shaft bearing. Only fix is to pull the tranny and open the case and replace that and the seal.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it could be a bearing issue. I just have one question, when was the last time the trans fluid was changed?