Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/)
-   -   Random misfires, now car won't start. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/random-misfires-now-car-wont-start-3330625/)

Nickel Plated 11-21-2018 02:29 PM

Random misfires, now car won't start.

So I was driving my '07 V6 manual to work this morning. Going from PA to NYC about 80 miles pretty much all empty freeway. Shortly after getting on the highway, the CEL starts blinking, and car runs kinda rough at low RPMs and has trouble accelerating. The day before I had about a quarter tank of 93 (which I usually run) and filled it to about 3/4 using 87 (never really run 87 but was kinda broke and being cheap). The tank was showing roughly half when this started. I was driving in early before any shops would open and I REALLY had to be at work that day so decided to just granny it to work and sort it out after. I suspected that the 87 may be too low octane and figured I would top it off with 93 after work and all should be ok. After work I was going to take it to an AdvanceAuto nearby to get the codes scanned and see what was up. But that particular one did not offer the service and was the only one nearby. I'm tight on cash so decided to skip the shop, top it off with 93 and see if it sorts itself out on the drive home. During the drive I noticed a distinct ticking/knocking sound coming from the engine. But after a while it went away and the blinking CEL light would occasionally just go to solid for a bit. Eventually the solid periods becoming more frequent but always eventually going back to flashing. Upon getting back home, I stopped at the local AutoZone and they gave me codes for misfire on cylinders 2, 3, and 5. Also a random misfire code. I figured since the situation seemed to be improving with the solid lights, perhaps the 93 was finally slowly getting into the engine.

Decided I would disconnect the battery to reset the ECU and maybe all would be well?
Well like an idiot I disconnected the positive terminal first, then negative. Keys were out of the ignition. After reconnecting the battery, positive first then negative, the car won't start at all. Dash turns on, all lights turn on, wipers work. Think I hear the fuel pump priming, but starter will not even try to crank. Turning key just dims all the lights and nothing from the starter.
I doubt the non-starting is related to the misfires. I stopped and started the car several times during the drive and it was fine. I probably messed something up when disconnecting the battery.
I was about to go to a shop when the car refused to start and ended up not making it before they all pretty much close. And ofcourse with my luck it's right before Thanksgiving so most won't be open until Monday.

Soooo.... any ideas I could try to sort this out? Really hoping I didn't fry the ECU. Fuel and temp gauge move into position when turning the power on, I assume they get their signal from the ECU? So if they work it's probably OK? Do different octanes actually mix in the tank or do they separate? Might explain why the misfiring started after the original 93 would have been used up if it was all at the bottom of the tank. And seems to possibly be getting better right about when all the 87 in the tank should be about finished up if it was separated at the bottom. Get paid tomorrow so if I find a shop open on Friday or Saturday I will get it to them and see what they say.
Really hoping it's just bad gas and a minor electrical fuck-up on my part. Just bought this car recently and spent a not insignificant chunk of cash to get something nice to replace the crapcan I had before.