Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Radio volume knob question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio volume **** question

I'm buying a 2007 Honda Accord v6 tomorrow (Monday). I had two requests from the dealership and one is about the radio volume ****. It might be petty (my husband thinks so), but I don't know what the owner did to the ****, but the black has rubbed off of it considerably. The **** is right in the center of the console (if that is what you call that area) so it is the first thing I noticed. I want it fixed. How difficult will that be? I would like an answer before I get the answer from the dealership tomorrow. In my silly-don't-know-crap-about-cars brain, I think you should just be able to pop that **** off and replace it. My salesman was not so sure and my husband just shook his head in disgust. lol

So, can anyone let me know? Your help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Amy
Old 09-07-2008, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Radio volume **** question (ASC336)

The dealership will not have a **** for your radio. They would either replace your radio with a brand new unit or replace it with a remanufactured unit.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:17 AM

Default Re: Radio volume **** question (cjo_28)

That's what I was afraid of. I don't think they will go that far, and I guess it probably isn't that big of deal. I guess the second solution might be to just touch up the ****???
Old 09-08-2008, 06:49 AM

if they don't go for it move on to the next car lot. If they want to sell the car they will fix it.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:18 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Radio volume **** question (CWOLFF)

correct, radio ***** cannot be purchased seperatley. But they could take care of it for you (in many ways).

Old 09-08-2008, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Radio volume **** question (dramsey@vtaig.com)

Thanks for the responses. I don't know how, but the **** is fixed. I was very excited. I just love this car.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They swapped radios with another car. Dealerships do that all the time with used cars. Eventually they will sell the car to someone who doesnt care. I know I would. You're spending good money for a late model car I'd want it to be perfect too.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:14 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ASC336 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but I don't know what the owner did to the ****, but the black has rubbed off of it considerably. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The owner did nothing except use it. Mine (06) came off after a year or so. Honda (supplier) should not have even using paint at all.

Since you got it "fixed, keep in mind that it will wear off with time. The only way to avoid that is to use your steering wheel controls instead to adjust the volumn.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radio volume **** question

sorry to bring this up from the dead but i have the same question but looking at the schematics it looks like you can indeed buy just the ****. i played with it for a while but couldn't figure out how to take the **** off. any ideas?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...CONDITIONER%29

(number 1...)
Old 08-25-2009, 07:08 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm guessing. The problem with replacing the **** would be, will you want to do it again and again?

The paint will come off of it. Looking at my old post, it start to come off after about a year. Thinking back a few months ago when we return the car (lease), the paint was almost all gone. It looks better that way. Nothing wrong with a "silver" ring ****. It looked better than a black **** with the paint coming off.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by CWOLFF
if they don't go for it move on to the next car lot. If they want to sell the car they will fix it.
Remember you live in a capitalist society. We have choices. If they refuse to fix the ****, then they choose not to value you as a customer. Move on. Go to the next car lot as stated above.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The ***** have to be replaceable. No way, do you have to replace the radio, just for a broken ****. I use the steering wheel controls most of the time, but I still use the volume **** sometimes. My car is 6 years old, and I don't see any evidence of paint peeling off the ****. Does anyone have a picture of this?
Old 08-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't have a pic but it looks like a gray ring with pepper flecks all around it. it looks pretty terrible. i am not sure if the ring was silver or black from the factory.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: Radio volume **** question

I talked to 6 dealerships in a major city and they all said that you had to remove the head unit. Then I called a small town Honda dealer who says he was just working on a head unit. They just pop off he says.

Here is how ot do it:

Use both hands and put your nails under either side of the "clear" part of the volume ****. Pull FIRMLY, and slowly (but pretty hard!). It will pop right off.

The 06 and 07 versions have crappy grey paint that wears off FAST. I bought the 05 ex version (black with chrome plate). They are all the same connector from 03-07. The black chrome plated looks and WEARS the best. 05 was the last year they did chrome.

When you push it on, LINE up EVERYTHING! It's important! Push firmly until it snaps on!

My wife's is an 07. All the Accord 07's have black dashes so I need the **** to be black with just chrome.
I used this 05 part #Honda Part 39103-SDA-A11ZA
Genuine Honda **** ASSY., VOLUME DIAL *TCHROME* (CHROMIUM PLATING)

It's for a 2005 EX accord but it fit my 2007 SE accord AWESOME.

bernardi honda walked me through it! Props to them!

OH! important--Honda two radio option! Alpine or Stanley! Match them up when ordering a volume ****

Originally Posted by ASC336
I'm buying a 2007 Honda Accord v6 tomorrow (Monday). I had two requests from the dealership and one is about the radio volume ****. It might be petty (my husband thinks so), but I don't know what the owner did to the ****, but the black has rubbed off of it considerably. The **** is right in the center of the console (if that is what you call that area) so it is the first thing I noticed. I want it fixed. How difficult will that be? I would like an answer before I get the answer from the dealership tomorrow. In my silly-don't-know-crap-about-cars brain, I think you should just be able to pop that **** off and replace it. My salesman was not so sure and my husband just shook his head in disgust. lol

So, can anyone let me know? Your help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Amy

Last edited by tom010; 08-27-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: error