Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/)
-   -   Power steering pump - Honda OEM part only? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/power-steering-pump-honda-oem-part-only-3331845/)

shawnc1959 12-24-2018 11:41 AM

Power steering pump - Honda OEM part only?

Have a 2007 Accord which has had numerous power steering issues, where it effectively feels like I have none. I've been taking it to an independent garage around the corner from where I work (I use them because having to leave it somewhere else then creates a problem getting to work). They've replaced it three times (under warranty) but it's acting up again intermittently. Am visiting family in another state for the holidays and dropped it off at a chain repair shop to have them look at it, and the first thing the manager tells me is that based on his experience, you should not use aftermarket power steering pumps in Hondas, as you'll get the same problems I'm experiencing (he later confirmed that it's not a genuine Honda replacement part).

My question is, does this sound right, that you cannot use aftermarket parts for this particular repair? Thanks in advance.

DCFIVER 12-26-2018 07:30 AM

Re: Power steering pump - Honda OEM part only?

He is incorrect, sort of.

Just like anything else,there are bad aftermarket replacement and there are good ones.

Unfortunately,finding the sweet spot isnt always easy. Sometimes its simply better to go with a dealer part.

With that being said, our shop has used "Maval" brand with moderate success.

We also use AAE steering with %100 success rate(but they are out of state and the part takes longer to get to us,the wait isnt worth the money on a simple pump job,so we use them almost exclusively for rack and pinions)

shawnc1959 12-26-2018 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by DCFIVER (Post 51815151)
He is incorrect, sort of.

Just like anything else,there are bad aftermarket replacement and there are good ones.

Unfortunately,finding the sweet spot isnt always easy. Sometimes its simply better to go with a dealer part.

With that being said, our shop has used "Maval" brand with moderate success.

We also use AAE steering with %100 success rate(but they are out of state and the part takes longer to get to us,the wait isnt worth the money on a simple pump job,so we use them almost exclusively for rack and pinions)

Thanks for the response. The mechanic who did the work has since agreed to replace the pump with a Honda part for just the difference in part cost, so hopefully he sticks by that.

DCFIVER 12-26-2018 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by shawnc1959 (Post 51815167)
Thanks for the response. The mechanic who did the work has since agreed to replace the pump with a Honda part for just the difference in part cost, so hopefully he sticks by that.

Sounds reasonable. Be prepared for sticker shock if he is getting a new pump. The difference between new and reman is usually $2-300 more....