Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

P0405, P0406, hesitation/bogging occasionally at low RPM's, perceived slowness

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0405, P0406, hesitation/bogging occasionally at low RPM's, perceived slowness

Before I take my 100% stock 2011 Accord EX 5spd to the dealer (still under warranty) and have them tell me it's normal and send me out, I wanted to go in armed with info. Here's what's happening:

-the car has on two occasions told me to check the gas cap, and then it shuts off by itself. This is days after I got the car filled up. Pulled codes P0405 and P0406.

-the exhaust gives off a deep, louder than before, sound during acceleration.

-power seems down..I find myself pushing the accelerator to the floor while merging on highways, etc (it feels like an old engine)

-hesitation/bogging, only occasionally, at low rpm's. At first I thought it was the motor mounts (hard to believe since the car is so new) but this all started when the other symptoms started, so hesitation/bogging makes more sense.

-I've noticed the exhaust tip is shaking like something's loose underneath, but the dealer had it on a lift a few weeks ago when I complained about the exhaust shake (my only "complaint" when I dropped it for the oil change) and we didn't see anything broken at quick glance.

-I'm working from home the next few weeks so I won't be able to calculate mpg, but I was consistently getting 30-31 mpg (I drive 140+ highway miles a day) and the last tank dropped to 25.7. Need a few more tanks to see if there's a trend.

Car had a fresh oil change at the dealer a few weeks ago and I swapped in a new air filter at the time.

I've read resetting the ECU / unplugging the battery has solved the bogging issues for some folks on the board, not sure if I should touch anything though before I drop it off at the dealership. I'd be surprised if it was a clogged cat, considering how new the car is but I have no idea what else it could be?
Old 12-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: P0405, P0406, hesitation/bogging occasionally at low RPM's, perceived slowness

Originally Posted by tiredoftickets
Before I take my 100% stock 2011 Accord EX 5spd to the dealer (still under warranty) and have them tell me it's normal and send me out, I wanted to go in armed with info. Here's what's happening:

-the car has on two occasions told me to check the gas cap, and then it shuts off by itself. This is days after I got the car filled up. Pulled codes P0405 and P0406.

-the exhaust gives off a deep, louder than before, sound during acceleration.

-power seems down..I find myself pushing the accelerator to the floor while merging on highways, etc (it feels like an old engine)

-hesitation/bogging, only occasionally, at low rpm's. At first I thought it was the motor mounts (hard to believe since the car is so new) but this all started when the other symptoms started, so hesitation/bogging makes more sense.

-I've noticed the exhaust tip is shaking like something's loose underneath, but the dealer had it on a lift a few weeks ago when I complained about the exhaust shake (my only "complaint" when I dropped it for the oil change) and we didn't see anything broken at quick glance.

-I'm working from home the next few weeks so I won't be able to calculate mpg, but I was consistently getting 30-31 mpg (I drive 140+ highway miles a day) and the last tank dropped to 25.7. Need a few more tanks to see if there's a trend.

Car had a fresh oil change at the dealer a few weeks ago and I swapped in a new air filter at the time.

I've read resetting the ECU / unplugging the battery has solved the bogging issues for some folks on the board, not sure if I should touch anything though before I drop it off at the dealership. I'd be surprised if it was a clogged cat, considering how new the car is but I have no idea what else it could be?

P0405 and 406 are egr malfunction codes. Depending on the issue, these faults can/will make your car bog, hesitate and stall and lower your mpg. Dont touch it and dont sweat it until you take it the dealer....