Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Shop Foreman's Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shop Foreman's Opinion

I just got my call returned from the Honda dealership after asking if an exhaust system or mufflers could be added to increase performance. He said in so many words, no, that any horsepower begins at the engine.

He said it had received a transmission software update before I bought it and that there were no new udpates available.

Is he right about no exhaust or mufflers will help it? I would hate to go to the expense of getting changes made to the exhaust from an "anxious to sell me" type exhaust business, only to have it lessen power or do no good at all.

Ya'll's thinking?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shop Foreman's Opinion

Just checked with an exhaust shop, all he'd say is anything else would make it loud as *censored*! Not much help from him.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty much true, unless you have a bunch of engine mods that need more flow to breath better, like cams, or more like forced induction of some sort......
Old 03-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just spoke with another shop that knows their business, and he said the Magnoflow were good for helping performance, without the noise. The catalytics and resonators will help maintain needed back pressure, but the Magnoflows do help. Sounds good.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow! Love them Magnaflows! I just got 'em put on and it really has boosted my power!
I did a test drive and was facing a stiff north west wind. I got that sucker up to 100 per which I haven't seen on that car in a long time! Seems like both low end power and highway are much better now. Good mufflers, and not too loud. A mellow tone that makes the car sound like a V-8.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We need pictures now to see how does it look.

Intake is next on your list.

Ture, many will say there is no power gain from just the muffler. Fine, won't debate that. However, the muffler is most restrictive part of the exhaust. My past experiences have been that the throttle becomes more responsive.

Not sure how you feel about suspension work. Some lowering springs and shocks, you will loooove your car.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, I don't understand why all don't see a power gain like I have with the muffler, the Magnaflows in particular. Their cars/trucks must have another problem that overrides the improvement potential. The mufflers are underneath the rear of the car, so don't show for a picture. I was really surprised at the performance improvement. I wasn't expecting that much.

For intake, I've already got the K&N air filter. It does a great job. Since I dropped nearly $500 for this exhaust upgrade, I can't go anymore stuff on it. I have bills to pay, out of pocket medical, you name it. I can see no problems with the suspension. It handles really well. I don't think I need it lowered to where it's hitting bumps and bottoming out on dips. :-) Thanks ~
Old 03-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I keep getting out of that car and just shaking my head in disbelief. I can't believe how much power those mufflers have added to that Accord! It may not start in the morning, but for now, it sure has helped adding those Magnaflows. What beats me is it changes gear a bit later in all gears, and is effortless like the engine is just coasting with a reset to the timing. Maybe on this type V-6, the free flow mufflers make more difference than on another make of car. Whatever it is, I'm glad I made the switch. It has the power and feel of an 8. Can't knock that.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it's mostly in your head to be honest, and the sound is giving you the illusion of more power. I seriously doubt a muffler change alone is going to make much difference at all. But that's just my opinion.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:40 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
I think it's mostly in your head to be honest, and the sound is giving you the illusion of more power. I seriously doubt a muffler change alone is going to make much difference at all. But that's just my opinion.

Butt dyno means nothing. Should have gotten the car dynoed before and after if you really want to know.

Generally speaking: Exhaust louder = Press accelerator harder = Omg, car is faster!

Most I can find for a 2006 Accord V6 with exhaust (and a dyno) is:
2006 v6 6 speed exhaust ***dyno pic up
Originally Posted by okgnism

RunFiles_001.drf Max Power 216.41 Max Torque = 189.89
RunFiles_002.drf Max Power 215.61 Max Torque = 188.80
RunFiles_003.drf Max Power 215.59 Max Torque = 189.71
Originally Posted by okgnism
nah, no stock dyno...but i searched...ranges from 192-203hp i think
From Wikipedia: "In 2006 to mark the 30th anniversary of the Accord, Honda created the J30A5, which boosted output to 244 hp (SAE Net 08/04) and 211 lb·ft (SAE Net 08/04) of torque."
Old 03-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I won't be insulted by such crap as this. I know how that car is running! I've had jealous
kids knock me before on these type forums and so I'm quite used to it. I can't help it if the car runs better and has more power, and I won't be told in so many words, I am lying about it or imagining it. There were TWO mufflers replaced, not one. This is a dual system. I could tell an immediate difference the first time I drove it, I proved it on the highway and continue to prove it every time I get out on the street. I see the improved gear changes with less engine effort and I won't be told it's not happening! Grow up, ladies. THE CAR FLAT RUNS BETTER AND I CAN'T HELP IT OR WILL LIE ABOUT IT. The stock mufflers were just that STOCK with gobs of back pressure. The Magnaflows are straight through. Hope that explains it.

GoLowDrew said: "Sure, many will say there is no power gain from just the muffler. Fine, won't debate that. However, the muffler is most restrictive part of the exhaust. My past experiences have been that the throttle becomes more responsive." And it did! Power with it. Can't help it. Won't lie about it.

I also won't be returning to the school yard here either.
Adios ~

p.s. If it hurts to read about my improvement, pop for some Magnaflows yourselves. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited by 06V6ACCD; 03-25-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another piece of the pie for the I/H/E go fast formula. Either way if it makes more power or whatever, as long as it makes you happy then it's money well spent. (Although I would have gone with my old school full Titanium Tanabe Ultra Medallion. Something awesome about picking up a full catback exhaust with your pinky.)
Old 03-25-2012, 06:13 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by 06V6ACCD
I won't be insulted by such crap as this. I know how that car is running! I've had jealous
kids knock me before on these type forums and so I'm quite used to it. I can't help it if the car runs better and has more power, and I won't be told in so many words, I am lying about it or imagining it. There were TWO mufflers replaced, not one. This is a dual system. I could tell an immediate difference the first time I drove it, I proved it on the highway and continue to prove it every time I get out on the street. I see the improved gear changes with less engine effort and I won't be told it's not happening! Grow up, ladies. THE CAR FLAT RUNS BETTER AND I CAN'T HELP IT OR WILL LIE ABOUT IT. The stock mufflers were just that STOCK with gobs of back pressure. The Magnaflows are straight through. Hope that explains it.

GoLowDrew said: "Sure, many will say there is no power gain from just the muffler. Fine, won't debate that. However, the muffler is most restrictive part of the exhaust. My past experiences have been that the throttle becomes more responsive." And it did! Power with it. Can't help it. Won't lie about it.

I also won't be returning to the school yard here either.
Adios ~

p.s. If it hurts to read about my improvement, pop for some Magnaflows yourselves. You won't be disappointed.
Ahh yes. The classic, "If you say you don't like it or disagree with me then you're just a hater," argument.

I'm not jealous of your Accord. I have two cars I like much better than a 2006 Accord. Nothing against the car, they're just not for me. (Tbh, I personally find both of my cars to be much cooler than a 7th gen Accord, but that has no bearing on this argument and a muffler or mufflers wouldn't increase power on either of my cars as well.)

I also have higher end exhaust on one of those cars (I prefer understated stock exhaust for the other car).

Mufflers don't produce significant power and that's that. It's fine to not understand. Everyone starts somewhere. You've been told this same thing by several mechanics and people on this forum, but you didn't want to believe it from the get-go. So you fought the idea.

"TWO mufflers" doesn't mean more power than one btw. By that logic you should have had them install FOUR mufflers because FOUR is bigger than TWO and thus has more POWER. Making it all caps also doesn't make it anymore true.

If you really think this is all about clearing up back pressure, which is "obviously" hurting your car's power, why don't you just remove the mufflers and cats entirely? IT SEEMS SO OBVIOUS!
Originally Posted by Type Stephen
Another piece of the pie for the I/H/E go fast formula. Either way if it makes more power or whatever, as long as it makes you happy then it's money well spent. (Although I would have gone with my old school full Titanium Tanabe Ultra Medallion. Something awesome about picking up a full catback exhaust with your pinky.)
I/H/E can help if you have other modifications to back it up. On a stock Honda engine? Not so much.

On the OP's rocket ship... Maybe.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nobody is hating your modification. The fact is, if you would take it to a dyno shop with the stock mufflers, and then these magniflows, or really, any other muffler, you will pipe down. Pun intended.

If you come back with a dyno that reads anything more than 2-3 WHP improvement, which in itself is going to be tough, then you can call all the 10's of thousands of others who have done this modification that we are all haters.

And, to be honest, the ones that are "knocking" are probably NOT kids. They are people with real world car modification and dyno experience.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wasn't going to return, but will just post once more and will attempt to be more in control, though you ppl do have some nerve at times.

Fact: When I got into the car to drive it off the exhaust parking lot, I got in thinking "Well, this will probably be like the other times, no improvement, just some sound." I wasn't thinking I would have any improvement at all. I was proven wrong. The improvement is very noticeable because I have driven the car daily for nearly two years, I am very very sensitive to the slightest changes in this vehicle, no matter what they are. I am 64 years old and have every ounce of my mental faculties. I have driven more cars in my life time and made more changes, exhaust or otherwise, than some of you ever will. Some I have seen no improvement with exhaust changes, others a little. I know what I am experiencing now. I gave it a full throttle take off on dry pavement yesterday. For the first time, I did note the traction control light flashing. The tires were trying to spin, but the control kept them from doing this. I have never seen this happen on dry pavement prior to having the straight through mufflers installed. Again, I am a liar and imagining it. Right!

The pep and power increase is there, I can't deny it. It only takes a shred of common sense, which I trust is here to some small degree, to know that decreasing back pressure on an exhaust system is bound to help. On some cars, it may be more, on some, less. It does appear that the lessened back pressure has helped this particular engine, affecting the computers somewhat, more than expected, to this op. By the gear changes becoming smoother and at a slightly later time, with less engine work, it appears this has enhanced computer settings.

Some cars might see no improvement, some, a little, some, more. I can't help what I am seeing and experiencing with the change. I have only reported those changes, my mistake. If you all want to tell me the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, have at it. I'm dealing with that type mentality here. I drive the car, none of you do. I won't come on here lying about the improvement I have had.

I'm done, won't be back, so find yourselves another victim to call a liar and tell him he's imagining what he reports. I did, and regret it. I'm going to enjoy the additional pep and performance I am experiencing.

All the best...

Last edited by 06V6ACCD; 03-26-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

One more... I emailed Nic Howe with Magnaflow, about you guys, and here is his email reply just now received, copied and pasted by yours truly...

"Even adding just our mufflers will allow some gains to be made in HP and TQ roughly 6-9. In the addition to your K&N filter you are allowing your engine to breathe easier and not work as hard, which means gains in performance."

This is not a sales pitch because I had already bought the mufflers. I rest my case...
Old 03-26-2012, 08:35 AM
H-T White Ops

I wasn't going to return, but will just post once more and will attempt to be more in control, though you ppl do have some nerve at times.

Fact: When I got into the car to drive it off the exhaust parking lot, I got in thinking "Well, this will probably be like the other times, no improvement, just some sound." I wasn't thinking I would have any improvement at all. I was proven wrong. The improvement is very noticeable because I have driven the car daily for nearly two years, I am very very sensitive to the slightest changes in this vehicle, no matter what they are. I am 64 years old and have every ounce of my mental faculties. I have driven more cars in my life time and made more changes, exhaust or otherwise, than some of you ever will. Some I have seen no improvement with exhaust changes, others a little. I know what I am experiencing now. I gave it a full throttle take off on dry pavement yesterday. For the first time, I did note the traction control light flashing. The tires were trying to spin, but the control kept them from doing this. I have never seen this happen on dry pavement prior to having the straight through mufflers installed. Again, I am a liar and imagining it. Right!

The pep and power increase is there, I can't deny it. It only takes a shred of common sense, which I trust is here to some small degree, to know that decreasing back pressure on an exhaust system is bound to help. On some cars, it may be more, on some, less. It does appear that the lessened back pressure has helped this particular engine, affecting the computers somewhat, more than expected, to this op. By the gear changes becoming smoother and at a slightly later time, with less engine work, it appears this has enhanced computer settings.

Some cars might see no improvement, some, a little, some, more. I can't help what I am seeing and experiencing with the change. I have only reported those changes, my mistake. If you all want to tell me the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, have at it. I'm dealing with that type mentality here. I drive the car, none of you do. I won't come on here lying about the improvement I have had.

I'm done, won't be back, so find yourselves another victim to call a liar and tell him he's imagining what he reports. I did, and regret it. I'm going to enjoy the additional pep and performance I am experiencing.

All the best...
One more... I emailed Nic Howe with Magnaflow, about you guys, and here is his email reply just now received, copied and pasted by yours truly...

"Even adding just our mufflers will allow some gains to be made in HP and TQ roughly 6-9. In the addition to your K&N filter you are allowing your engine to breathe easier and not work as hard, which means gains in performance."

This is not a sales pitch because I had already bought the mufflers. I rest my case...
I'm on my way out so I'll make this short for now.

So, you say the guys who stand to make money off you agree that you'll gain power from buying their products?

Gee, who'd have thunk.

Also, the age thing and number of cars you have owned means NOTHING. Inexperience happens at every age.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Let's put it like this, Perhaps if Magnaflow would back this up by chipping in for a before and after dyno session to PROVE results, besides the butt dyno, you could easily shut everyone up. The fact is, there is not one single dyno out there, for ANY single exhaust modification that will show 6-9 hp improvement, unless you have other serious modifications.

If Magnaflow has a dyno comparison showing such results on the car you have, I'd be the first one in line to buy a set.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wasn't coming back into this childish "back & forth" thread, but I don't put test tubes and oscilloscopes on the differences in a car I can feel and see, I just ENJOY IT!

Here ya' go... nhowe@magnaflow.com . I'll let you guys argue with Nic Howe from Magnaflow. I'd be willing to bet no one has the guts.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just spoke with another shop that knows their business, and he said the Magnoflow were good for helping performance, without the noise. The catalytics and resonators will help maintain needed back pressure, but the Magnoflows do help. Sounds good.
A shop that lies to potential customers. That's rather disturbing.

No back pressure is needed. None is wanted either, if performance is the goal.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:30 PM
H-T White Ops

I wasn't coming back into this childish "back & forth" thread, but I don't put test tubes and oscilloscopes on the differences in a car I can feel and see, I just ENJOY IT!

Here ya' go... nhowe@magnaflow.com . I'll let you guys argue with Nic Howe from Magnaflow. I'd be willing to bet no one has the guts.
Magnaflow is trying to sell a product. No matter what we say or what we prove it's in his interest to say that his exhaust products increase horsepower.

Could you not see that asking Magnaflow if Magnaflow products increase power might be a slight conflict of interest?

I have a bridge I'd like to sell to you.

You say you're 64. Do you always insist on fighting common sense like this?
Old 03-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Tool. Youre completely ignorant on the underlying fundamentals of engine performance and are relying solely on your butt dyno and a sales pitch.

I would not waste my time arguing with a salesman, but I am more than knowledgeable and experienced enough to go tit for tat with anyone you wanna bring in here....
Old 03-31-2012, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, if you want to call me a liar, have at it. I know the gains I have. If I don't have then there is not another idiotic thing that you all do to a car that will help the power either. Frankly messing with aftermarket garbage can only worsen performance, that coming from a Honda tech. But, much to your chagrin, the mufflers did help. Having the K&N air filter in conjunction with the straight-throughs is probably why the gain is more noticeable. I can't tell ya' any different from what I have now. I also note that since hot weather, the a/c is not pulling the engine down as it once did. I can't tell it's on except for the cold air.

I knew you wouldn't want to tangle with a tech from Magnaflow where they test their product on equipment before trying to sell it. That would be like a cat challenging a pit bull, boy. No guts, as I suspected.

Hey I did you a favor, CDFIVER, by not reporting your name-calling "ignorant" of me. I'd be thankful for small favors. Next time I may hit the button on ya'. Quit while you're behind IOW.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, if you want to call me a liar, have at it. I know the gains I have. If I don't have then there is not another idiotic thing that you all do to a car that will help the power either. Frankly messing with aftermarket garbage can only worsen performance, that coming from a Honda tech. But, much to your chagrin, the mufflers did help. Having the K&N air filter in conjunction with the straight-throughs is probably why the gain is more noticeable. I can't tell ya' any different from what I have now. I also note that since hot weather, the a/c is not pulling the engine down as it once did. I can't tell it's on except for the cold air.

I knew you wouldn't want to tangle with a tech from Magnaflow where they test their product on equipment before trying to sell it. That would be like a cat challenging a pit bull, boy. No guts, as I suspected.

Hey I did you a favor, CDFIVER, by not reporting your name-calling "ignorant" of me. I'd be thankful for small favors. Next time I may hit the button on ya'. Quit while you're behind IOW.
Ignorant is an adjective used to describe ones lack of knowledge on a particular subject. It is often mistakenly used as a derogative term and is interpreted as such by the uninformed, or ignorant.

Calling you a Tool was the insulting part. You may "hit the button" anytime you wish. There has yet to be a moment in my life where the internet dictates my actions. Suck it!!!

The gentleman you quoted from Maganflow is a sales man. Plain and simple. You lack the the knowledge and in the same vein, the ability to distinguish the difference between a sales pitch and factual information as it pertains to your vehicle.

Go away.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know the gains I have.
How do you know?

Look, if Maganaflow or any other manufacturer of after market products can prove their gains, show us the DYNO results. Otherwise telling us "I know" really means nothing.

If you are happy with what you spent, then GREAT! Good for you! That is the whole idea when you spend money, to be happy with how you spent it.

Quick Reply: Shop Foreman's Opinion