Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Oil leaking from oil drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:10 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leaking from oil drain plug

Hi. I got a 2007 Accord and did an oil change this weekend which I have done many times before. Yesterday I noticed oil on my garage floor. Upon inspection, it seems oil is leaking from the oil drain plug in the oil pan. What I recalled happened this weekend was after I removed the drain plug there were two washers attached to it. One was the aluminum washer that I had put in last time. This Al washer came with the oil filer. The other washer is black and looks to be made of steel. It seems like it was part of the flange on the oil pan and it was sandwiched between the oil pan and the Al washer. I thought I had mistakenly installed two washers on the previous oil change so this time I left the black washer out.

My question is-- is this black washer part of the oil pan, maybe flange? I don't recall ever torqueing the drain bolt so high that the flange broke off.

And my next question is, the drain bolt seems to constantly turn after more than 100+ in-lbs of torque. The manual says it should be a 360 in-lbs torque.

Anybody ever had this problem? I will put the black washer including the Al crush washer back on tonight. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil leaking from oil drain plug (tjjm36m3)

Replace the stock black washer again and see if that cures the problem.

I'm glad you're torquing things down, but snug will work for the drain plug. You said it keeps spinning at 100in-lbs (8.3 ft-lbs)of torque, why not just snug it to the factory 360in-lbs (30 ft-lbs) and see if it leaks.

When you removed the black washer, did you notice if the drain plug had a bit of a silicone ring around it too. Some of my cars have had this, others have not. Since I don't have an accord, i cannot tell you, but it depends on how the oil pan is made.

If you think it's suppose to have one, go to the dealer and ask for the part and inspect.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:21 PM
New User

Default Re: Oil leaking from oil drain plug (Splaturn)

The drain plug keeps spinning around 100 in-lbs so no way will it reach 360 in-lbs. I am thinking the weld between the insert for the drain plug and oil pan is broken, or that the insert is cracked.

No, the black washer did not have any silicone around it neither did the drain plug. I spoke with a Honda service adviser and he thinks the insert is cracked. He thinks the oil pan needs to be replaced. I want to explore all my options before spending the money and am not sure if the factory warrently will cover.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I work at honda and that black washer is just a washer. you did double up on the washer. you can just use a screwdriver and poke at it and it'll fall off. I have no idea why honda painted the washer with the oil pan.

When tighting the oil drain plug, the aluminum washer should crush under 18-25 ft lbs of torque. I usually just turn it till i feel it crush and turn maybe an 1/8 of a turn after that.

The 07 accord pans are steel so try cleaning the treads a little before replacing the pan. If that doesn't work then go ahead and replace it.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the painted washer is how they come from the factory b4 the first oil change...take off the drain bolt and remove both washers and put on a new crush washer and tighten down to 36ft lbs and u should be good to go
Old 06-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you either stripped the threads, or like the dealership tech said you broke the seal on the insert. Either way it's not good, and you should get another pan. Were you trying to torque it to 360 ft.lbs.? Somethings definitely going to give, before you get that much on it.