Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Normal for car...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Normal for car...?

I have a 06 coupe i4 for almost a year now and it's been great. The car has taken me over 10k+ miles of US painful roads (road trips). A little about the car. Bought it for 12k and paying it off in a few months. It had 21k on the clock when i first bought it and now it has a little over 31k on it. I drive about 3 miles to work (one way) workwise. Great on gas and whatnot. My concern is that the car feels very very weak when driving. Tune is on spot and I do everything myself (stock everything beside K&N air filter). Whenever I put the AC on it feels like a weaker car. Acceleration slows down so does braking and cornering (turning, not racing). All in all the car feels sluggish. Shifting is silky smooth with ease (regardless if AC is on/off). When I first got the car it felt the same way, but not as noticeable as now. I understand that having the AC on will somewhat lessen the performance of the car but not this much. All in all the car is still great. I'm thinking is it because of the car being used too much for long distant driving that it would cause this? Probably? I'm planning to sell the car when I come back from deployment and getting a TSX or something (not for me). I'll be going over to the darkside (2 wheel) as my main transportation. Just want to see if any of you guys have the same concerns.

*Also drove friends 06 coupe i4 (46k miles) and it responds way better then mine
Old 07-15-2009, 04:33 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Normal for car...?

Seems normal to me... all except the handling and braking part. It sounds a little like it could be buyers remorse syndrome.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you driven other more powerful cars recently? I learned how to drive stick on my friends civic 4cyl, and it didnt feel slow, but it was by no means the fastest car out there. After a year or so of driving my car (accord 6cyl) i drove the civic again and i had to redline everywhere just to feel like i was moving. you may be expierencing the same kind of thing.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If handling is feeling strange how are the tires? Low on air? And the brakes have you checked how much meat is left on them? As far as the slugishness, the I-4's aren't the most powerful engine in the world and lack a bit in the torque area... Plus if you are getting really great gas mileage then you definitely are taking it easy on it.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<-- Former owner of a 06 sedan.

Good replies above. Accords get heavier and heavier. I noticed that when we first picked up it new. The size and weight of the car, makes V6 almost necessary.

I think you just got used to it. When I first got my 06 Sentra SE-R Spec V, I was thiking.....Wow...it's fast...the engine just pull like hell. Then you get used to it and want something more faster and powerful.

We (as drivers) are getting spoiled. We want faster and faster cars.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by briq4
If handling is feeling strange how are the tires? Low on air? And the brakes have you checked how much meat is left on them? As far as the slugishness, the I-4's aren't the most powerful engine in the world and lack a bit in the torque area... Plus if you are getting really great gas mileage then you definitely are taking it easy on it.
Everything is top notch. Air pressure is right on. Got new brakes on 100+ miles ago. I understand that the car is not the fastest car in the world, but it just feels slower somewhat...

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew
<-- Former owner of a 06 sedan.

Good replies above. Accords get heavier and heavier. I noticed that when we first picked up it new. The size and weight of the car, makes V6 almost necessary.

I think you just got used to it. When I first got my 06 Sentra SE-R Spec V, I was thiking.....Wow...it's fast...the engine just pull like hell. Then you get used to it and want something more faster and powerful.

We (as drivers) are getting spoiled. We want faster and faster cars.
I've driven both the v6 and i4 before I actually got the i4. I got the i4 mainly because it was gonna be my DD. I got my Teg for all the other "fun" stuff.