Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

No Crank No Start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Crank No Start?

Well a couple days ago i was trying to start my car. To go to work and my battery was dead. So i jumped started it useing another vehicle. After I started the engine i let run alittle bit before shutting it off. And then went to the dealership to get a new battery. Installed it and now the starter doesn't work. I removed it And took it to autozone for them to check it. Turns out it was bad. Is it possible that the starter could just fail like that. It only made a one click sound from the starter. I pray the engine doesn't have mechanical damage. Im afraid to even rotate the engine to check.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No Crank No Start?

And yes I removed the negative battery cable first and the positive cable last. Also the engine has oil so it can't be that right? I already ordered the Starter Assembly. So hopefully its just the starter and nothing else.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:54 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How old is the car? The clicking sound makes me think it is the battery. Getting a new battery (at the dealership) does not always mean it's a "good" battery. IMO, they do sometimes sit for a long time.

Did you try taking a meter? Does your meter measure CCA?

I would still try the battery route again before installing a new starter.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Rotating the crankshaft to check and make sure the engine isn't locked up is no big deal. I'm going to guess either you have a bad battery cable (corroded battery cable ends), chassis ground or the starter is indeed no good. Make sure your battery cables are not corroded throughout the wire or terminal ends. Clean any found and try again.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 03 Accord EXV6 Sedan and I did check the connections. And no corrosion was found on the battery cables. If fact I check those all the time. Im sure it could be the starter because i had a auto zone check it they said it was bad. so I ordered a new Honda starter from online. So hopefully thats all it is im going to rotate the engine today by the crankshaft pulley or power steering pulley and see how it feels.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NightHawk92
I have a 03 Accord EXV6 Sedan and I did check the connections. And no corrosion was found on the battery cables. If fact I check those all the time. Im sure it could be the starter because i had a auto zone check it they said it was bad. so I ordered a new Honda starter from online. So hopefully thats all it is im going to rotate the engine today by the crankshaft pulley or power steering pulley and see how it feels.
It's not your battery. It's the starter.

If you are mechanically capable, you can dis-assemble the starter, this is the cheap fix. The contacts between the plunger and power cable are worn, so they don't contact each other anymore. The click you heard is the plunger pushed out. But since the contacts are bad, no current to the motor, so the engine will not crank. This problem could be intermittent at first, then getting worse.

You can try to adjust the contacts so they will contact each other when the plunger is at pushed out position. Or you may be able to replace the contacts.

Otherwise, replace the whole starter. Kind of expensive though.