Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/)
-   -   New trans in my '07 Coupe's future. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/new-trans-my-07-coupes-future-3329904/)

Nickel Plated 11-03-2018 05:48 PM

New trans in my '07 Coupe's future.

So I just bought an '07 Accord coupe with V6 and 6 speed. I failed in my research and was not aware of the 3rd gear issues that the 6-speed manuals tend to have. And didn't really notice it on my test drive. But after buying and driving the car around some, I noticed the tranny will sometimes be stubborn to go into 3rd, or kick out of it. The issue is not too bad yet and I can generally avoid it if I'm a little more diligent shifting into 3rd. Overall I'm still happy with the car and don't regret it at all, it's in really nice shape, has the factory HFP package and is overall the nicest car I've owned so far. For now the issues with 3rd gear are not too bad and I heard using GM SynchroMesh fluid in the transmission will help make it behave. But I think in the long run I should start preparing for a new tranny.
I figured the easiest way to go about it and with the least downtime on the car is to just buy a good quality remanufactured transmission, have a local shop swap it in and send the original off as a core. Anyone know the actual name of the transmission used in this car to help with my research? Can't seem to find it anywhere.
I read that Honda was aware of the issue and offered to replace some parts in the tranny with improved versions under warranty. It seems the original owner never did that and the warranty has long since expired. Any suggestions on who to go to for a remanufactured 6-speed with the upgraded 3rd gear so I don't have to worry about it in the new one? Also am I correct in thinking that some Acuras used this transmission with an LSD? Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to swap in one of those for an LSD upgrade.

shipo 11-03-2018 06:56 PM

Re: New trans in my '07 Coupe's future.

Originally Posted by Nickel Plated (Post 51772532)
So I just bought an '07 Accord coupe with V6 and 6 speed. I failed in my research and was not aware of the 3rd gear issues that the 6-speed manuals tend to have. And didn't really notice it on my test drive. But after buying and driving the car around some, I noticed the tranny will sometimes be stubborn to go into 3rd, or kick out of it. The issue is not too bad yet and I can generally avoid it if I'm a little more diligent shifting into 3rd. Overall I'm still happy with the car and don't regret it at all, it's in really nice shape, has the factory HFP package and is overall the nicest car I've owned so far. For now the issues with 3rd gear are not too bad and I heard using GM SynchroMesh fluid in the transmission will help make it behave. But I think in the long run I should start preparing for a new tranny.
I figured the easiest way to go about it and with the least downtime on the car is to just buy a good quality remanufactured transmission, have a local shop swap it in and send the original off as a core. Anyone know the actual name of the transmission used in this car to help with my research? Can't seem to find it anywhere.
I read that Honda was aware of the issue and offered to replace some parts in the tranny with improved versions under warranty. It seems the original owner never did that and the warranty has long since expired. Any suggestions on who to go to for a remanufactured 6-speed with the upgraded 3rd gear so I don't have to worry about it in the new one? Also am I correct in thinking that some Acuras used this transmission with an LSD? Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to swap in one of those for an LSD upgrade.

Don't make any rash moves, my 2006 TL which I purchased last year had the exact same issue. I say "had" as in past-tense. There is a very simple $30 fix for your issue, just drain out the MTF and pour in 2.3 quarts of ACDelco Synchromesh Friction Modified MTF (note, do NOT use regular Synchromesh, make sure you get the Friction Modified stuff). Literally the instant I put the Synchromesh in, the 3-Gear issues went away; that was over 30,000 miles ago.

AndyD 11-04-2018 11:35 AM

First try the trans oil options. If that doesn't fix your issue, look into the manual trans from 2004-2006 TLs. Only from those years will work and they have LSD.

shipo 11-04-2018 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by AndyD (Post 51772805)
First try the trans oil options. If that doesn't fix your issue, look into the manual trans from 2004-2006 TLs. Only from those years will work and they have LSD.

Only partially true. The gearbox portion of the 2004-2008 TL 6-Speed manuals are identical; that said, the only difference for the 2007 and 2008 transmissions is the different bell housing (which is swappable with the one in your car).

The above said, I must reiterate my previous point, over in the dedicated TL forums there are literally hundreds of reports of the third gear issue being corrected by simply putting ACDelco Synchromesh Friction Modified MTF into the gearbox.

Nickel Plated 11-05-2018 04:58 PM

Thanks guys, that was my idea. Try the ACDelco fluid first and see if it helps before resorting to drastic measures. Though I may do the TL swap at some point in the distant future, just for the LSD.

shipo 11-06-2018 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Nickel Plated (Post 51773659)
Thanks guys, that was my idea. Try the ACDelco fluid first and see if it helps before resorting to drastic measures. Though I may do the TL swap at some point in the distant future, just for the LSD.

So, timing is everything; is this good timing for you? https://acurazine.com/forums/market/974668

Freedo_Civegra 11-06-2018 02:00 PM

I’ve got that same engine and transmission in my Civic, and synchromesh is what I used. Over a year later, I haven’t had any issues.