Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Map light

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 04:37 PM
XIV
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Map light

2004 Honda accord sedan driver side map light is not turning on automatically when I open the door and when I push it to turn on.the bulb is new and it is working.the passenger side is working perfectly with no issue.

Did someone encounter this issue & what did you do to fix ?
Old 08-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Global Moderator

Received 419 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Re: Map light

The map lights have dual functionality; (1) turns on if pressed, and (2) works if door opened. Because the map lights have "dual functionality" there are two separate ground sources involved in the circuit. (1) When the map light is pressed on, the light switches gets their ground source from the base of the unit. (2) If a door is opened, the light switches gets their ground source through wiring coming from the Multiplex Integrated Control Unit (MICU). – All the individual doors switches (at each door) are wired into the MICU (located in the under-dash fuse box).

It probably is the micro-switch at the map light base unit, unless the base unit has corrosion, etc.. The micro-switch has three small receptacles which interface with three metal terminal blades. One of these metal terminal blades is not making sufficient contact inside the switch for the driver's side maplight bulb (probably the blade for the ground source coming from the MICU).

You can always try swapping the right map micro-switch to the left map side to see if that is the cause before you buy the micro-switch. Also, examine the base unit.

Mouser Electronics sells the ALPS switch (ALPS part number SPED210200) for $.86 each, plus shipping.

Your issue is relatively common for some Hondas, see this link regarding replacement from a Honda Pilot forum.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/415928-post27.html
Old 08-03-2014, 11:01 PM
XIV
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: Map light

Originally Posted by tech8
The map lights have dual functionality; (1) turns on if pressed, and (2) works if door opened. Because the map lights have "dual functionality" there are two separate ground sources involved in the circuit. (1) When the map light is pressed on, the light switches gets their ground source from the base of the unit. (2) If a door is opened, the light switches gets their ground source through wiring coming from the Multiplex Integrated Control Unit (MICU). – All the individual doors switches (at each door) are wired into the MICU (located in the under-dash fuse box).

It probably is the micro-switch at the map light base unit, unless the base unit has corrosion, etc.. The micro-switch has three small receptacles which interface with three metal terminal blades. One of these metal terminal blades is not making sufficient contact inside the switch for the driver's side maplight bulb (probably the blade for the ground source coming from the MICU).

You can always try swapping the right map micro-switch to the left map side to see if that is the cause before you buy the micro-switch. Also, examine the base unit.

Mouser Electronics sells the ALPS switch (ALPS part number SPED210200) for $.86 each, plus shipping.

Your issue is relatively common for some Hondas, see this link regarding replacement from a Honda Pilot forum.

Actually now the problem of my map light is it does not turn on the light when I open the door although the selector on the switch is in on position.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:30 AM
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by XIV
Actually now the problem of my map light is it does not turn on the light when I open the door although the selector on the switch is in on position.
Yes, probably due to the micro-switch like I previously posted.

" (2) If a door is opened, the light switches gets their ground source through wiring coming from the Multiplex Integrated Control Unit (MICU)...It probably is the micro-switch at the map light base unit, unless the base unit has corrosion, etc.. The micro-switch has three small receptacles which interface with three metal terminal blades. One of these metal terminal blades is not making sufficient contact inside the switch for the driver's side maplight bulb (probably the blade for the ground source coming from the MICU)."
Old 08-07-2014, 02:26 PM
XIV
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: Map light

How can I take out the micro switch from the unit after I remove the base unit?
Old 08-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Global Moderator

You can just pull it or gently pry it out. The link shows a photo of the microswitch in the last photo where you would do that. It is plug and play.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:38 PM
XIV
Honda-Tech Member

You can just pull it or gently pry it out. The link shows a photo of the microswitch in the last photo where you would do that. It is plug and play.
Thanks for all your help..... Both switch are working , I just found out the the ground screw from the dome light is losse after tightening it everything works.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Global Moderator

Good to hear that nothing needed replacement.