Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Looking for tire/wheel combination that will get me more mpg

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Looking for tire/wheel combination that will get me more mpg

Just bought a 2012 Accord LX-P. Don't know why I didn't just get the LX. Must be a mid-life crisis (I'm 59).

I'm currently getting 30mpg average, mixed city and highway. If I took a long highway trip, I could probably get in the upper 30's or 40, with the way I drive. I'm quasi-hypermiling. Use neutral a lot, don't gun it, try to anticipate stops and minimize brake usage.

Ok, so I've got these snazzy rims with the LX-P, and whatever stock tires came with it (bought it two weeks ago).

What combination of wheels and tires could I go with that would give me better gas mileage. I assume lighter rims. Can't find weights for the ones I have. I guess low rolling resistance tires would help. I've heard that going with larger rims and lower profile tires can help, but you really have to watch out for low tire pressure.

Anyway, any suggestions? Any feedback on the big rim/low tire thang? I'm not looking to pimp my ride so much as get better gas mileage. In fact, non-snazzy looking rims would make the car less of a target for thieves.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Looking for tire/wheel combination that will get me more mpg

You can always try sell the 16" alloys OEM wheels.

As for light weight wheels, there are many brands and designs. Just to throw out a name, Enkei Racing. Again, there are many and you'll have to reseach the exact size and weight. I would not go larger, just because larger means more weight and mass. I would stay in OEM size for both wheels and tires.

But IMO, the low rolling resistance tires is going to be the key. They are a lot stiffer so I would not do low profile (larger wheel).

Putting it all together, is it worth spending another $1,000+ on wheels and tires for better MPG? You'll have to decided if the return is worth it.

My 2 cents would be, to use up your OEM tires now. Keep the OEM wheels (looks nice), and get the low rolling resistance tires later.

Last point, what kind of weather condition do you drive in? I would factor that in and find out if these tires would safely work for you.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:34 AM
Trial User

That was my plan, after looking at all the expense of tires, and particularly rims. When it's time for new tires, I'll go the LRR route. I never could get the economics of new rims to work out. I have the alloy rims right now.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Old Member

Enjoy your car. Never regret buying "more car" than you need. At this stage of the game, getting something nicer, a step up, is the way to go.

Often people ask about MPG, but perhaps the question should be about cost of ownership. Do-it-yourself pays off big. Much more than any modifications or add-ons.

Take the cabin air filter. Dealer will charge you $90 to replace. You can DIY in 5 mins and the filter cost $15 at Walmart.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew
Enjoy your car. Never regret buying "more car" than you need. At this stage of the game, getting something nicer, a step up, is the way to go.

Often people ask about MPG, but perhaps the question should be about cost of ownership. Do-it-yourself pays off big. Much more than any modifications or add-ons.

Take the cabin air filter. Dealer will charge you $90 to replace. You can DIY in 5 mins and the filter cost $15 at Walmart.
X2

Problem with this DIY theory, is probably 98% of ALL vehicle owners couldn't even change their own tires these days, with supplied tools, much less something that would take a screwdriver or two and maybe a couple sockets. Pretty sad really.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 94vtecmn
X2

Problem with this DIY theory, is probably 98% of ALL vehicle owners couldn't even change their own tires these days, with supplied tools, much less something that would take a screwdriver or two and maybe a couple sockets. Pretty sad really.
True. We had a lady come in with an 08 Accord and she said she tried to change her cabin filter for an hour but couldn't figure out how to do it. She had to pony up the 48 bucks we charge to do it...
Old 10-20-2012, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I purchased a 2012 Crosstour EXL for my midlife crisis. I really love the car. I have the factory alloy wheels and Michelin tires. I wanted a bit more out of my wheels and tires, but wasn’t really concerned about the MPG issue. Tires only contribute a minimal amount of MPG and certainly would not ever create a payback if you replaced them now. Anyway, I decided to paint my alloy wheels black. My car is black and the now matching wheels is a great looking and cheap addition to my vehicle. Just a thought. I also debadged and replaced the grille. Not trying to pimp it, just having some midlife fun. Unfortunately, I cannot upload pictures yet, but when I figure out how, I'll post pictures.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Old Member

Originally Posted by Crashmaster
I purchased a 2012 Crosstour EXL for my midlife crisis. I really love the car. I have the factory alloy wheels and Michelin tires. I wanted a bit more out of my wheels and tires, but wasn’t really concerned about the MPG issue. Tires only contribute a minimal amount of MPG and certainly would not ever create a payback if you replaced them now. Anyway, I decided to paint my alloy wheels black. My car is black and the now matching wheels is a great looking and cheap addition to my vehicle. Just a thought. I also debadged and replaced the grille. Not trying to pimp it, just having some midlife fun. Unfortunately, I cannot upload pictures yet, but when I figure out how, I'll post pictures.

Do post pics when you can. I am a closet Crosstour fan. The last time I looked at the dealer's inventory. I was a bit surprise how much they are asking for both new and used, consider they don't move off the lot. They are willing to give away other Accords, not the CT.

Because of the high asking prices, I most likely never get one.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 94vtecmn
X2

At least some people realize that they aren't qualified to do their own maintenance, and wisely decide to let a professional handle it. Some don't know what they're doing, but try anyway. Some people should never open their hoods, because it can only lead to trouble (I know a few).
Then I see how some mechanics work on other people's cars, on Internet videos, taking short cuts, and doing half#ss work, and it almost makes me feel sorry for the owners who are at their mercy. I'm so glad my father taught me to do these things for myself. My father didn't bring his cars to mechanics. He figured out how to get the job done, and did it himself, or with a friend's help. Thanks Dad.