Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Ipod hookup

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod hookup

I have an 05 accord ex, recently bought. I'm looking for a better way to play my ipod other than a radio tuner. I hate the sound quality of the Belkin tuner. Is there a way to hook something up without losing my temperature and A/C display? Is the easiest way just to go aftermarket and mount it below the factory display?
Old 07-06-2008, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Ipod hookup (jak05accord)

The easiest thing to do is to buy an aftermarket ipod connector for your car. I got the gromaudio one from ebay. 75 bux, it works great.. charges your ipod and you can still use your steering wheel controls and works through your factory headunit. If you wanna keep your XM radio, you will need another part from honda that will let you play the ipod and xm radio. Basically, there is an AUX port on the back of your factory radio and to get to it, you have to take apart your shift boot, shift bracket thing, coin tray, 12V connector. Its really easy to install... if you have a 6spd there is a youtube DIY video thats really good. If you have an auto you can google that there's a website that shows you how to take apart the auto assembly to get to the headunit.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Ipod hookup (Fr3sh)

Yo that's AWESOME advise. The answer i was lookin for. Thanks bro!
Old 07-08-2008, 12:47 PM

Thanks a lot fr3sh that is exatually what i am looking for to for my car. Well explained and presented. Thanks
Old 07-09-2008, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Ipod hookup (04accordkid)

No problem guys... I did my research and looked at all options when I discovered the horrors of playing an ipod w/a radio tuner in a honda.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:15 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fr3sh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The easiest thing to do is to buy an aftermarket ipod connector for your car. I got the gromaudio one from ebay. 75 bux, it works great.. charges your ipod and you can still use your steering wheel controls and works through your factory headunit. If you wanna keep your XM radio, you will need another part from honda that will let you play the ipod and xm radio. Basically, there is an AUX port on the back of your factory radio and to get to it, you have to take apart your shift boot, shift bracket thing, coin tray, 12V connector. Its really easy to install... if you have a 6spd there is a youtube DIY video thats really good. If you have an auto you can google that there's a website that shows you how to take apart the auto assembly to get to the headunit. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey Fr3sh, will this "gromaudio" adapter work on my 2007 Accord V6 SE auto? It has the basic radio with 6 disc in-dash unit. Temperature controls are a seperate unit.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-12-2008, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Ipod hookup (vtec_head)

i just bought one off ebay too its lookes nice. I just need a link to show how to install it on a 2004 honda accord v6 auto sedan. If anyone knows a link it will be very appriciated. I just need to know how to get the headunit out. Thanks
Old 07-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a USASPEC and installed it under the console near the air exchange box.
it works great, and serves me well. i did research, and it's the best deal for the money i found. ... chrish
Old 07-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ipod hookup (cadman777)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cadman777 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got a USASPEC and installed it under the console near the air exchange box.
it works great, and serves me well. i did research, and it's the best deal for the money i found. ... chrish</TD></TR></TABLE>This is what I'm looking at for mine. http://www.crutchfield.com/App...p=120

I think it's the same one you have. I have a few questions though. I notice some say you lose your XM Satellite Radio if you add one of their adapters. If I add this will I be able to keep XM? I don't see it listed. Also I noticed on Handaaccesories or whatever the site is it says that Hybrid mode wont work with Ipod Classics which one of the ipods I have is the 80gb classic. What is hybrid mode? I don't see that it says and I don't see anything about this on Crutchfields site.
Can you really control the ipod from the h/u with this thing?

Also what all is involved in installing this? I've done several car stereo installs so basically I'm not new to wiring or anything like that so I don't see how it can be but so hard but having never seen the actual unit I can't say for sure. How do you plug that harness into? What does that plug into? Is it a fairly simple install?

I really am wanting one as I have the ipod cable for the Alpine H/U in my truck and love it and I have a aux jack on the front of the H/U in the older Honda but I can't use the ipod in the 06 and would like a way to hook it up.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ipod hookup (cadman777)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cadman777 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got a USASPEC and installed it under the console near the air exchange box.
it works great, and serves me well. i did research, and it's the best deal for the money i found. ... chrish</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1

I also have the USASPEC... Great product!
Old 07-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ipod hookup (hometheaterman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hometheaterman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is what I'm looking at for mine. http://www.crutchfield.com/App...p=120

I think it's the same one you have. I have a few questions though. I notice some say you lose your XM Satellite Radio if you add one of their adapters. If I add this will I be able to keep XM? I don't see it listed. Also I noticed on Handaaccesories or whatever the site is it says that Hybrid mode wont work with Ipod Classics which one of the ipods I have is the 80gb classic. What is hybrid mode? I don't see that it says and I don't see anything about this on Crutchfields site.
Can you really control the ipod from the h/u with this thing?

Also what all is involved in installing this? I've done several car stereo installs so basically I'm not new to wiring or anything like that so I don't see how it can be but so hard but having never seen the actual unit I can't say for sure. How do you plug that harness into? What does that plug into? Is it a fairly simple install?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I bought mine from here http://enfigcarstereo.com/shop....html

With that kit you get a "Y" cable that basically splits the signal from the XM and your IPOD, allowing you to keep both. When you click on the CD/AUX button, the ipod will appear under CDC for CD Changer. Its a great product because it has built-in RCA AUX inputs for you to plug in other music devices in you change to say a Zune or Zen.

Installation is simple, if you're careful you won't have to take out the bezel around the factory radio since the male plug is within reach at the bottom (in the slot where the flip-up tray for the CDs are. You just have to wiggle the factory XM adapter out, just be gentle.

Modified by chusoblu at 8:19 PM 7/14/2008
Old 07-21-2008, 08:08 PM

just listen to the radio
Old 07-21-2008, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Ipod hookup (foolercooler)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foolercooler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just listen to the radio</TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF?

If we wanted to listen to the radio we wouldn't be writing this post....duh..
Old 07-21-2008, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Ipod hookup (foolercooler)

Why did you even waste your time writing that? Thanks for the help otherwise guys, i got the gromaudio interface and it's gettin installed tomorrow. I'll let ya know how it works.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:06 AM

Alright... so i just got my gromaudio ipod interface installed and i really like it. Charges my IPOD and the sound quality is great. I did lose the digital climate control on my sterio display, but i'll sacrifice that easily for the sound quality. Good purchase. GET ONE if you want to play your IPOD and don't want to buy a factory deck. 75 bucks with shipping. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:09 PM

I have a 2005 Accord EX (non-nav) and a 2006 Accord EX (non-nav) and REALLY want to add a I-pod unit to both.

My only requirements/preferences are:
Charge/Turnoff w/ HU
Steering control functions still available
Good sound quality (better than FM or AUX wire)
and if possible, text on the factory HU showing artist and song.

I've called HONDA and they said they just re-released a unit called Honda Music Link, but the reviews are for the most part negative due to some software you need to install before it actually works.

I've also searched ebay for gromaudio and nothing pulls up (maybe it goes by another name)?

What I did find that fits all my needs is the following PAC unit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2003-2008-...wItem

If anyone can fill me in with any suggestions or point in the right direction to good IPOD interface I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:58 PM

Exactly what i was looking for...i was just coming on to ask the same question..also an 05 Accord.
Thanks guys, getting a aftermarket deck wasn't feeling like such a great idea just for an AUX.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:45 AM

Default Re: (C4SxM5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by C4SxM5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 2005 Accord EX (non-nav) and a 2006 Accord EX (non-nav) and REALLY want to add a I-pod unit to both.

My only requirements/preferences are:
Charge/Turnoff w/ HU
Steering control functions still available
Good sound quality (better than FM or AUX wire)
and if possible, text on the factory HU showing artist and song.

I've called HONDA and they said they just re-released a unit called Honda Music Link, but the reviews are for the most part negative due to some software you need to install before it actually works.

I've also searched ebay for gromaudio and nothing pulls up (maybe it goes by another name)?

What I did find that fits all my needs is the following PAC unit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2003-2008-...wItem

If anyone can fill me in with any suggestions or point in the right direction to good IPOD interface I would greatly appreciate it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The gromaudio unit can be found if you just google it. there's a website that comes up that will have a couple of units. If you have XM, you'll have to get the extra Y cable, it'll end up costing you about 85 bucks total. Only thing you wont get is artist and song on your HU. Good luck
Old 07-23-2008, 04:45 PM

so basically the PAC unit on Ebay is the only one that will actually show artist/info on the stock unit?

Old 07-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (C4SxM5)

anyone know what's work on a 06 navi? ex v6 auto

thx
Old 07-27-2008, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Ipod hookup (vtec_head)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec_head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hey Fr3sh, will this "gromaudio" adapter work on my 2007 Accord V6 SE auto? It has the basic radio with 6 disc in-dash unit. Temperature controls are a seperate unit.

Thanks in advance!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it will work for your car, yours will be the same as mine. Their ebay product description tells you exactly what cars it fits. I believe it will work on all 2003-2007 accords. They also sell the right connector for different accord gens and different models from what I remember.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I finally decided I'm going to get the USA Spec kit. I can get a good deal on it so decided to go with that. Anyone have any step by step instructions? How do you remove that pocket thing under the radio to get to the back of the radio? Is it that much work to take the radio out? Since I have never looked at it with the intentions of taking it apart I'm not sure where everything is and just want to hear from others first so I hopefully don't break something. Where did you all mount the little box for the usa spec adapter?
Old 08-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I got the USA spec unit and installed it today. It seems to work pretty well. I watched the video on youtube about how to install one and that helped in taking it apart. I also had some instructions that basically told me the same thing although after the video I didn't need them. I ended up getting some RCA cables and running them to the pocket under the radio and putting rca combiners on them so that I have an aux in plug in the pocket and then I ran the ipod cable to the same spot. You can't tell it's not factory other than those two cables. I drilled a hole for them but once the pocket is in the car you can't see the hole just the cables.

I'm pretty happy with the unit as it does what I wanted. I can control the track like I can skip back and forward and I can fast forward/rewind the song however it doesn't tell you the artist name or song on the display so if you want to know that you have to look at your ipod. You can also use the steering wheel controls to change it. Plus I got to keep my XM which was another plus for me.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Ipod hookup (hometheaterman)

Well guys after a lot of hardwork i have sucessfully installed sony xav-w1 double din touch screen with a customised casing in my 2005 v6 AT accord.I think this should be the only customised car in my country.well i dont know how to post a pic in this post..this is the link for the pictures http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/...d2005

Modified by kedarwalke at 1:07 AM 8/10/2008
Old 08-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ipod hookup (kedarwalke)

That looks fairly good. I just don't like the idea of having a useless radio still in there though. For my situation I don't need something like that though so the ipod adapter is perfect for what I need.

Quick Reply: Ipod hookup