Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/)
-   -   I need help with a custom exhaust system (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/i-need-help-custom-exhaust-system-3328116/)

BuryMeInSmoke 09-28-2018 06:24 PM

I need help with a custom exhaust system

I have a 2011 Honda Accord EX V6 (sedan). I want to get an aftermarket exhaust system. However, I haven’t found any catback or axleback systems that I can order, so it’ll all be custom. What size inlet/outlet for the muffler and exhaust tips do I need to order? I want a Borla muffler and black exhaust tips. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have any suggestions on a setup, I’d love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

hondamark35 10-01-2018 05:59 AM

Re: I need help with a custom exhaust system

bolt-in, $$$
Magnaflow Cat-back
aFe Power Takeda Cat-back
ATLP Cat-Back
RV6 J-pipe
ATLP J-pipe

DIY, $$
Mandrel Exhaust Systems tubing kit (not exact fit, but enough pre-bent tubing. could easily be made to fit.)
Summit Racing Muffler results
MIG

rice a roni 10-01-2018 06:52 AM

What is the reason behind wanting an exhaust system? Performance? Sound? Aesthetics?

hondamark35 10-01-2018 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by BuryMeInSmoke (Post 51741366)
...it’ll all be custom. What size inlet/outlet for the muffler and exhaust tips do I need to order?

if it's all custom... any size you like. bigger will be louder, all else being equal. I would imagine anything bigger than 3" would cause clearance issues. factory is 2.25" I believe. you can measure that on your own... don't take my word for it.

Originally Posted by BuryMeInSmoke (Post 51741366)
I want a Borla muffler and black exhaust tips.

just curious, why Borla?

BuryMeInSmoke 10-01-2018 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by hondamark35 (Post 51742621)
if it's all custom... any size you like. bigger will be louder, all else being equal. I would imagine anything bigger than 3" would cause clearance issues. factory is 2.25" I believe. you can measure that on your own... don't take my word for it.

just curious, why Borla?

i love the sound of this Accord:

BuryMeInSmoke 10-01-2018 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by rice a roni (Post 51742510)
What is the reason behind wanting an exhaust system? Performance? Sound? Aesthetics?

I’ll have to say that it’s mainly for sound. As far as aesthetics, I want big black tips, I think that looks cool. I’m not concerned at all about performance. The car already has 270 HP. To me, that’s a lot.

I have a Jeep Wrangler with a Flowmaster Super 10, and I love the sound. I’m aiming for that particular exhaust note. A loud, deep rumble. Would a Flowmaster Super 10 sound on my Accord sound similar to my Wrangler? The Accord is a bigger V6. I imGine the sound would be close.

hondamark35 10-02-2018 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by BuryMeInSmoke (Post 51743079)
i love the sound of this Accord:

the guy never says exactly which set up is on there. it does say he removed the resonator.

maybe this...
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...885b17ca22.jpg

functionally (technologically), there is nothing special about Borla. A stainless perf-core, absorptive mufflers with high polish from a well known name (i.e. probably good customer service, probably good quality). it would suck to pay all that extra for polished stainless just to paint it black...

most of what I listed previously is available as a perf-core.
by brand:
Jones Exhaust- as good if not better quality than the well known names but much better pricing. Full Boar Max-flow is their perf-core line. many shapes and sizes available.
Magnaflow- well know, more widely available than Jones. a little more money for what you get, but not over-priced. MF Performance or Race Mufflers
Vibrant- similar price point to Magnaflow, fewer size options but decent selection. available off-the-shelf in flat black. any of their universal mufflers
Dynomax- quality/finish isn't as good as the others, but usually decent and inexpensive. Ultra Flo is their perf-core

to get the sound like the video you'll probably need to do the J-pipe I listed previously, replace the stock resonator with a straight pipe and add your choice of the four brands listed above.

rice a roni 10-02-2018 12:13 PM

I would just get a muffler put on if its for looks and aesthetics.Cheap, does the job.