Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

How to get more power

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get more power

The car has about 114,000 miles on it, 04 accord lx l4. What I want is more power or torque for going up long roads on long interstate drives. I feel it is lacking the power going up. What is cost effective for what to add: cai? Exhaust?
Thanks
Old 09-13-2012, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to get more power

Sell yours and buy a V6 if you want more torque.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It really depends on how much is too much for you to spend on your car.You can look at exhaust options(Headers,piping],CAI or short ram intakes depending on your budget,those are usually the easiest and fastest way to bolt on power.I hope this was helpful.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ-Accord
The car has about 114,000 miles on it, 04 accord lx l4. What I want is more power or torque for going up long roads on long interstate drives. I feel it is lacking the power going up. What is cost effective for what to add: cai? Exhaust?
Thanks
The advice about selling your car and buying a V6 is probably your best and cheapest option. If your car has a manual transmission then you might want to consider a turbocharger, however, that can get expensive fast.

Regarding intakes and exhausts; don't waste your money. Why? Because for any miniscule single digit horsepower gains up near redline you'll most likely lose a commensurate amount of mid range torque (which is what it sounds like you're looking for).
Old 09-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stickers, and license plate frames. Its the only way to gain true hp.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a difference between getting better performace going on the interstate and going up hill. Are you talking about uphill on an interstate?

If you are talking about better performance on a flat interstate, then intake and exhaust is worth looking into.

If you are going up hill, then larger displacement is your only friend.

If it's hills on an interstate, there isn't much you can do. I say the key to that is transmission. Honda 5AT is "old" by today's standard and the engine will have to down and up shift with a slight change.

An 8 spd auto for example, you will pretty much always be in the "right gear." Not saying it won't hunt or need more power. Just less likely to go up and down the gears. Or should I say, a lot less dramatic.

There is always CVT. It pretty much keeps you at a good ratio.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was thinking about selling it and getting Saab 9-3 but this was the first car I bought brand new so I a, torn about selling it or just holding onto it.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shipo
The advice about selling your car and buying a V6 is probably your best and cheapest option. If your car has a manual transmission then you might want to consider a turbocharger, however, that can get expensive fast.

Regarding intakes and exhausts; don't waste your money. Why? Because for any miniscule single digit horsepower gains up near redline you'll most likely lose a commensurate amount of mid range torque (which is what it sounds like you're looking for).
Originally Posted by GoLowDrew
There is a difference between getting better performace going on the interstate and going up hill. Are you talking about uphill on an interstate?

If you are talking about better performance on a flat interstate, then intake and exhaust is worth looking into.

If you are going up hill, then larger displacement is your only friend.

If it's hills on an interstate, there isn't much you can do. I say the key to that is transmission. Honda 5AT is "old" by today's standard and the engine will have to down and up shift with a slight change.

An 8 spd auto for example, you will pretty much always be in the "right gear." Not saying it won't hunt or need more power. Just less likely to go up and down the gears. Or should I say, a lot less dramatic.

There is always CVT. It pretty much keeps you at a good ratio.
Yeah I am talking about going up hills, like when I drive from phx to Vegas. Other than that, if it gives me some power on a straight away cool, but I have driven this car long enough as is (stock) so I can live with out doing to much to it.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys for the input, we'll see what happens, I have another car that I seem to be putting money too, but I don't mind too much since I am learning how to do DIY repair. The accord has always been taken to the shop for the major repairs! Any heads up in the near future as to what I can expect to be replacing with this mileage? This car is a 5sp.
Thanks
Old 09-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ-Accord
Yeah I am talking about going up hills, like when I drive from phx to Vegas.
I've done that, and know what you mean. Just go "faster" and watch for cops and plan your gas fillup, so you are not stuck in the middle of nowhere, where there is like 2 stations, near none.

Let me approach it another way. The MPG it cost you to "go up hill" to Vegas, you'll make it up when you come home going "down hill."
Old 09-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Cogent Argument Enthusiast

sell car and get v6 accord, problem solved
Old 09-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Trial User

I've driven 4 banger Civics (still love-em) and Accords for over 20 years, but recently I bought the V-6 Crosstour. Yeah, the V-6 has much more torque and power. Just came back from Vegas 2 weeks ago and had no problems accelerating up the main pass on 15, past Primm.

I test drove the V-6 Accord coupe and it seemed to have a little better response, as it's less weight overall.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no more fat chicks and loose weight )))
I wouldn't put CAI or exhaust. Depends what you get, you could loose power or even get yourself into trouble. Treat the car with fresh Genuine fluid and spark plugs if they haven't been replaced yet. Instead of gaining power, try to maintain original power