Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Honda complete brake system issue

Old 10-17-2018, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Honda complete brake system issue

Hi all, I am having a very difficult time trying to repair the brake system on our Honda Accord EX-l 4 Cylinder. The symptoms at first was whenever the brakes were pressed at speed of 60 to 70, if felt like a rear brake would catch all of a sudden and start making the car feel like it was fish tailing. Reading around, I thought it was the master cylinder so I replaced it and bled the lines according to the service manual. I still had the issue. We started testing each caliper and came to realize the rear left caliper was seizing, even when I replaced it once. I then replaced the ABS Modulator since the proportioning valve is built in, bled the lines again and still had the same issue. I checked the rear caliper again and it had seized again. I replaced both rear calipers with OEM Honda New Calipers this time and brake pads. (Rebuilt Rear Calipers for 8th Generation Honda sucks ... I got 2 bad in a row from different vendors). Anyway, that was only done after Honda Service analyzed the system and everything checked out except the calipers. So after all of this, I still am having the issue. I went to the local Napa and got 2 front calipers on a whim, went home, changed them out, bled the lines again. I still have same issue. I am now going to replace all of the brake lines but I have little faith that will fix it. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-18-2018, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda complete brake system issue

Yes, a collapsed rubber hose can easily cause your symptom. That should have been the first thing checked out as it is a common issue.

Replace the rubber hose of the offending wheel and recheck. (you will not notice any outward sign hat the hose is collapsed internally, but it can be checked with a brake pressure gauge. However since you've already thrown a bunch of money at this issue with out any testing,whats a few bucks more?.....)
Old 10-18-2018, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the feedback. I asked Honda Service department to check the lines and they said they were operating to spec. I am cancelling the rotor order and just spending the 35 bucks on new lines. Thanks for the help and I will post if that solves the problem. Luckily I am all in at $550 for everything. I can't imagine if I had Honda do all of the work and troubleshooting. Why couldn't they figure it out if it is so common? That is disheartening.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gosh7001 View Post
. Why couldn't they figure it out if it is so common? That is disheartening.
Because corporate entities took over most dealerships and fired senior level and experienced technicians and replaced them with entry level techs and a phone number to a technical assistance line.

Most of us seasoned technicians have ended up in independent repair facilities or another field of work entirely.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Replaced all rubber hoses on the brake lines and bled the system again. No changes. Car still feels the the rear twists slightly upon hard braking at speeds above 45. I am totally ticked that I have replaced every damn component on the brake system and this crap is still happening.

What can I do next?
Old 11-07-2018, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With out physically inspecting the vehicle,I cannot advise how to move forward,at this point i think your best bet is to Google or Yelp a good independent repair shop in your area.....

(One thing I overlooked was ABS activation. If one of your calipers is locking up, then the ABS should activate and you should not experience any "fishtailing" and should feel the ABS system at work in the pedal. You may have a suspension/chassis issue. Your car really needs to be looked over by a seasoned,competent, professional)
Old 01-16-2019, 06:10 PM
P2K
Honda-Tech Member

If you have any money left over. Go ahead and replace all 4 tires too.

But seriously, I don't recall you mentioning tires. What do they look like from inside edge to outside?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: