Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Honda Accord Coupe vs Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Accord Coupe vs Honda Civic

Hey guys,

First post here so please have mercy (not even sure I'm posting in the right thread)

I am debating over changing my car and thought I'd ask for some feedback

I currently drive a 2010 Honda Civic LX-S (1.8 L, 140 HP, 45k km) which is nothing but a beauty to drive and have no complaints except for the 140HP. I would like to drive something a bit more...powerful I guess.

As such, I've been looking at a 2012 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L with Navi (2.4 L, 190HP, 72k km).

Drove the car yesterday, feels nice. But didnt get to try it on the highway so hard to say if it's that big of a difference (I assume so considering the HP difference).

My only concern is the 72K on the Accord. Anyone had any headaches with their Accord after a certain number of km ? Car comes with warranty up to 130K KM but still, I'd like to hear from people who have hands on experiences they can share.

Thanks in advance for your responses

Alex
Old 09-16-2014, 08:26 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Honda Accord Coupe vs Honda Civic

There is the easy answer and the difficult answer. I'll answer the difficult one. Is "more power" what you really want?

An Accord has more power, but it's not faster, or does it feel quicker. IMO, Accord has felt "slow" since the 7th gen +. That's because of the size of the car and the weight.

People will say...what are you talking about. The Accord is a fast car. I currently own a Accord V6, it's powerful and fast. But it's "slow." It does not have the same quickness of a 1987 Acura Legend - which to date, is still the benchmark of Honda sedans in my mind. And that car have no where near the power of my 2010 Accord V6.

If I totally confused you and make no sense, that's ok. Cliff: More powerful engine goes not always give you that more powerful feel.

If you want a bigger car, and more solid feeling car, then the Accord is it.

If you want a more "powerful" car because you felt your Civic is slow, the Accord is not exactly it - for that specific reason.

To answer your question. Like all cars, there are some issues, and TSB notices. Some cars have issues, some don't. There is not across the board type of problems. Bottom line would be, I would not shy away from the car you are describing, if everything looks good. I would own it as a 200,000 mile car. It should be as you expect from a Honda. You must be in Canada since you mention km.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your response. And yes, I am in Canada, good catch

Your answer was really insightful and I understand the point you were trying to convey.
I think I'll need to try the car one more time and hopefully on the highway so I can fully understand the "slow" part. It's hard to say when driving 20-30kms/hour in the city.

I guess my "need for speed" will be satisfied by something that gets from 0-100 faster than my Civic and that can sustain better on the highway as, past 130-140km/h my Civic tends to start to "shake" a little bit.

Also, the idea of a sportier car for not too much $$$ made this a viable option.

Thanks again !
Old 09-16-2014, 08:58 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Using a 2012 EX-L + Nav as your budget. I would also look at VW Jetta GLI or GTI, (the turbocharged models). I think you'll be happy with the "power" over your Civic.

I would also not rule out Accord V6 (EX or EXL) or Acura TSX.