Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/)
-   -   Honda Accord 2008 moonroof problem need advice (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/honda-accord-2008-moonroof-problem-need-advice-3185503/)

KidDynamite8 12-21-2013 02:05 PM

Honda Accord 2008 moonroof problem need advice

Hey everyone i'm new to the forum but i'd just like to say that after browsing a bit im really happy to have found this place, I really didnt want my first post to be maintenance related but here goes nothing >___< well a few days ago I set my moonroof to the vent position and it opened fine, but when I pressed the button again to retract it into the closed position, it wouldnt retract! I can hear a *click* noise whenever I press the button again, not sure if thats a relay or something but besides that nothing happens, I know certain other models have a manual way to close the roof but i'm not sure if mine does, I've checked the rails and nothing is stuck in them, I really would like some help before having to take it in to a dealer :/ thanks for reading!

Bakemono36 12-22-2013 08:59 AM

Re: Honda Accord 2008 moonroof problem need advice

Could be that the motor is burnt out too. Its not uncommon for the seals do dry out and become sticky after a number of years, forcing the motor to have to work much harder and it gets burnt out eventually.
Im not aware of a way to close it manually, so I cant help you there.

tech8 12-22-2013 10:51 AM

Try this to try to close it all the way. This isn't a fix; but, to try to close it for now.

To close:
1. Insert the key in the driver’s door lock.
2. Turn the key counterclockwise, then release it.
3. Turn the key counterclockwise again, and hold it. All four windows and the moonroof start to close. To stop the windows and the moonroof, release the key.
4. To close the windows and the moonroof further, turn and hold the key again (within 10 seconds of step 2).

If the windows and the moonroof stop before the desired position, repeat steps 2 and 3.

tech8 12-22-2013 10:56 AM

This may or may not help to fix the issue. Try resetting the moonroof control unit.

1. Close driver’s door, leave it closed during the whole procedure.
2. Turn ignition to LOCK (0).
3. Press and hold the tilt switch, and turn ignition to ON (II).
4. Release the tilt switch, and turn ignition to LOCK (0).
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 four times.
6. Check if the AUTO OPEN and AUTO CLOSE function still work. If they still work, the AUTO functions have not been cleared, go back to step 1. If AUTO functions have been cleared, go to step 7.
7. Press and hold the moonroof open switch for at least 3 additional seconds after the moonroof is fully opened.
8. Press and hold the moonroof close switch for at least 3 additional seconds after the moonrood is fully closed (tilted).
9. Confirm that the moonroof control unit is reset by using the moonroof AUTO OPEN and AUTO CLOSE function.

khearn777 04-08-2014 10:26 PM

Did you ever resolve this? If so, what was the fix? Having similar issues and I tried all these suggestions with no success.

NJelken 05-26-2014 05:52 AM

This same situation happened to my wife's 2008 on Saturday and we feared a $1000+ repair bill pulling headliners and messing with side curtain air bags but the 9 step RESET process was a God send and worked awesome.

Jax Martinez 06-15-2016 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by tech8 (Post 49387576)
This may or may not help to fix the issue. Try resetting the moonroof control unit.

6. Check if the AUTO OPEN and AUTO CLOSE function still work. If they still work, the AUTO functions have not been cleared, go back to step 1. If AUTO functions have been cleared, go to step 7.
7. Press and hold the moonroof open switch for at least 3 additional seconds after the moonroof is fully opened.
8. Press and hold the moonroof close switch for at least 3 additional seconds after the moonrood is fully closed (tilted).
9. Confirm that the moonroof control unit is reset by using the moonroof AUTO OPEN and AUTO CLOSE function.

I want to say this worked perfect the 1st time. But now it's stuck again and will not reset as before. Any 411 would be greatly appreciated.

merecat1 09-05-2016 02:52 PM

I had read many previous posts & blogs, and then decided to do the wotk myself... Yet, because I was "visiting" my dealer on other mechanical business, i had them tell me the costs to " just close the moonroof":( it has like others here, ceased operating, and was stuck open(tilt).
Well, i didn't take up the dealer on the very pricey 'two hour minimum', instead this morning, I took down the rear portion of the Headliner, INSERTED A 4MM ALLEN WRENCH IN THE SOCKET PROVIDED ON THE LOWER SURFACE ON THE HALFMOON-SECTION OF THE MOTOR ASSEMBLY, WHICH I HAD NEVER HEARD MENTION OF(!), and closed the Headliner, reinstalled the rear courtesy lamp, and two passenger roof grab-bars, in about 33minutes.While i was there, I removed, opened, and affirmed that all that motor would ever do was "click". Professionally, i thought the elctronics for the hall effect driver of the motor, had failed. Now, I propose a simpler method:
A flashlight in my proposed action to follow,to get your bearings up under the headliner, is advised.
Now, I know that anyone can do this From the Front Seat if you are cool with operating in close spaces, and are gentle not to fold, or crinkle the headliner: From the rear of the moonroof, GENTLY Pull the Center of the Headliner down[its attached with a magnet center, and two velcro pieces out to the sides], about six inches, and feel around with the short end of the allen wrench(close space!) to the curved-section on the motor assembly; there's only one hole in the near center of the body of the device, the other spot closer to an edge, is a phillips removal screw. INSERT the allen wrench, //Now, you need an assistant, to look-see the movement of the Moonroof!...from above the car//.... As you turn the allen wrench in half-turns from your position in the font seat, the roof window will Move Thru It's FULL rotation...OPEN_AND_TILT. Choose the center of this 1 1/2 turns of movement to seal the window Shut.(as affirmed by your assistant), Then remove either the Electrical Connection to the motor-assembly, Or the Fuse under the dash, to prevent any accidental operation. Close the headliner, and think of all those bucks saved! Very glad to have found this soution, and provide it to others.

hondaxl2008 06-05-2017 08:56 AM

Moonroof stuck open in popup position. When I tried to close it I got a clicking sound. Performed the reset procedure given by tech8 and it worked the second time I did it. The roof is now closed.
Thank you for the advice.

BlueHen92 07-31-2017 06:26 PM

I have been having intermittent problems with the "clicking sound" identified by others. After a couple months of close calls, my moonroof was stuck open seemingly for good. Fortunately, the above solution worked for me after a few tries (at first it would only close a few inches and then stop but I was eventually able shut it all the way). MY QUESTION - should I assume that the motor is probably on the way out and the only viable long-term option is to replace it? Or is there a chance that the AUTO OPEN/CLOSE was just out of sync and the moonroof might somehow return to operating correctly? It seems most likely that it needs to be replaced, but I'm just wondering if there's at least a chance that it doesn't. (Of course I'm afraid to try it again). Thanks for any advice and many thanks for this fix!!

magiciansnephew 07-01-2018 02:02 PM

Can confirm that my 2008 accord coupe ex-l this worked !! Same problem as everyone else. My was stuck on tilted up (clicking sound) and had to do the reset process over like 3 times for it to go down. I'm content for that as I can't afford to go to a dealership currently. Looks like this summer windows down only!

Thanks Tech8 !

Surinderjit 08-24-2018 08:07 AM

can u post a video for it ?

jhughes44 09-08-2018 10:43 AM

I have a 2008 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L. The reset procedure did not work for me (the moonroof wouldn't move at all). The fix ended up being pretty simple for the coupe. You are able to sit in the back seat, and pull down on the headliner. There are only two snaps (one above the left back seat and one above the right back seat). You do not need any tools to pull down the edge of the headliner safely from this particular edge. With a 4mm allen wrench, closing the moonroof manually was simple. A couple of pictures may make this more clear.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...79f4cfe7a3.jpg
The allen wrench opening is visible and under the black portion of the motor (right side of the vehicle).

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...713cfe1d67.jpg
The green snaps are located over the left and right side back seats, and you can just pull down near them to get them to release.

accoco 03-12-2019 06:26 PM

This is the only way that actually worked with me! It took me sometime to find that 4mm hex, but a mobile phone camera made it easier However, while opening the roof liner, I teared the black plastic piece that sticks to the floor and attaches to the green connector, does anyone have any recommendation for a glue to stick the black plastic piece to the liner again ?
And once again man, this saved me much anxiety and money of course.

David Agila 05-15-2019 09:14 AM

Wooooowww it worked it,

MinANC 07-05-2019 01:21 PM

Bravo tech8. Your moonroof control reset procedure solved my problem of moonroof "vent" position stuck in open position. I appreciate the professional approach with specific instructions in a specific sequence and "what if" logic.

MinANC 07-15-2019 01:00 PM

Hello Honda-Tech.com. tech8 moonroof control unit reset process resolves moonroof being stuck in open position. Moonroof Control Unit lost its reset settings after a few days of no moonroof use. I'd like to replace control unit for new and control switch. Where is the control unit located? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Branden lee 09-06-2019 07:32 AM

4mm method worked perfectly. I've had this issue for 3 years now in my honda accord. Luckily it would just start working again. And I have a garage. But today. It was not working. I also did the 9 step process and nothing. Just a double click. Which eventually became just a single click. I was able to reach back far enough to put the 4 mm Allen wrench in the motor and shut it.

Frank Barnard 03-21-2020 11:55 AM

I'd add Step 5.5--leave ignition OFF (0) after steps 1-5 and while you hold the sunroof switch first in the open position and then in the closed position. In other words, we needed to have the ignition at 0 (OFF) while we did steps 6-8, otherwise the reset failed. Only turn the ignition on at or after step 9. This was on a 2012 Civic Si.

Frank & team (body shop)

AccordCoupe08 06-30-2020 06:09 AM

This thread was an immense help in solving my moonroof issues so I decided to create an account and contribute some additional information.

I had the same issue as most of the posters with the moonroof being stuck in the tilt position. I followed the 9 step guide that user tech8 posted near the beginning of the thread in post 4. I would do steps 1-5, leave the ignition in the ON (II) position and then fiddle with the close button about 10-20 times. Then I would repeat this entire process about 10 more times until eventually the moonroof came out of the Tilt position, and moved all the way to the end of the open position. Then, standing on the car door sill, using a paper towel and small flat head screwdriver (you want a small one to get into grooves) I cleaned the entire channel that the moonroof travels on back and forth and through the tilt position. The problem for me ended up being debris caught in the channel, and once I cleaned this channel and the tilt channel, my moonroof started operation like new. After cleaning, I regreased it using white lithium grease. I've included images to show you the channels and areas you need to clean and regrease. Just a note that the photos are entirely out of order. The channel that you have to get from the inside of the car you can only get to when the moonroof is in the CLOSED position.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...03ad1254fa.jpg
Clean the channel of old grease and debris on both sides using a paper towel and flat head screwdriver, then spray with White Lithium Grease.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...a82bcef04c.jpg
This black piece is the tilt mechanism channel, make sure it clean of old grease and debris and spray with white lithium grease.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...c5ae828dc3.jpg
This is the entire channel. You can see where I sprayed the white lithium grease as this is where the moon roof travels. Clean the entirety of this channel end to end of debris and old grease. The very small flathead screwdriver is an absolute necessity as there are grooves in this channel where the debris gets lodged. After cleaning, spray this channel with white lithium grease.

Christy Kawsar 08-03-2020 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by tech8 (Post 49387571)
Try this to try to close it all the way. This isn't a fix; but, to try to close it for now.

To close:
1. Insert the key in the driver’s door lock.
2. Turn the key counterclockwise, then release it.
3. Turn the key counterclockwise again, and hold it. All four windows and the moonroof start to close. To stop the windows and the moonroof, release the key.
4. To close the windows and the moonroof further, turn and hold the key again (within 10 seconds of step 2).

If the windows and the moonroof stop before the desired position, repeat steps 2 and 3.

So we tried this for my son's 2011 Accord and it did close the windows but it fully opened the moonriof. Now when we try this you can hear a small noise but the window does not move. Any idea on how to close it without tearing the thing apart?

tech8 08-03-2020 07:52 AM

Have you tried the separate moonroof reset procedures in the above posts?

Christy Kawsar 08-03-2020 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by tech8 (Post 52231290)
Have you tried the separate moonroof reset procedures in the above posts?

We have and nothing. The motor is out I do believe. I am teying to avoid having to take the liner down but I am thinking that is my only option.

NordicTrack 07-26-2021 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by merecat1 (Post 51043171)
I had read many previous posts & blogs, and then decided to do the wotk myself... Yet, because I was "visiting" my dealer on other mechanical business, i had them tell me the costs to " just close the moonroof":( it has like others here, ceased operating, and was stuck open(tilt).
Well, i didn't take up the dealer on the very pricey 'two hour minimum', instead this morning, I took down the rear portion of the Headliner, INSERTED A 4MM ALLEN WRENCH IN THE SOCKET PROVIDED ON THE LOWER SURFACE ON THE HALFMOON-SECTION OF THE MOTOR ASSEMBLY, WHICH I HAD NEVER HEARD MENTION OF(!), and closed the Headliner, reinstalled the rear courtesy lamp, and two passenger roof grab-bars, in about 33minutes.While i was there, I removed, opened, and affirmed that all that motor would ever do was "click". Professionally, i thought the elctronics for the hall effect driver of the motor, had failed. Now, I propose a simpler method:
A flashlight in my proposed action to follow,to get your bearings up under the headliner, is advised.
Now, I know that anyone can do this From the Front Seat if you are cool with operating in close spaces, and are gentle not to fold, or crinkle the headliner: From the rear of the moonroof, GENTLY Pull the Center of the Headliner down[its attached with a magnet center, and two velcro pieces out to the sides], about six inches, and feel around with the short end of the allen wrench(close space!) to the curved-section on the motor assembly; there's only one hole in the near center of the body of the device, the other spot closer to an edge, is a phillips removal screw. INSERT the allen wrench, //Now, you need an assistant, to look-see the movement of the Moonroof!...from above the car//.... As you turn the allen wrench in half-turns from your position in the font seat, the roof window will Move Thru It's FULL rotation...OPEN_AND_TILT. Choose the center of this 1 1/2 turns of movement to seal the window Shut.(as affirmed by your assistant), Then remove either the Electrical Connection to the motor-assembly, Or the Fuse under the dash, to prevent any accidental operation. Close the headliner, and think of all those bucks saved! Very glad to have found this soution, and provide it to others.

Greetings,

I just wanted to appreciate the solution suggested above as it saved me a ton of time and money. Instead of looking for an assistant to tell me the position of moonroof, I went through the rear passenger side of the headliner and that way I was able to play with the turn of the hex wrench and see where the closing of the roof was almost perfect. Thanks for all the help to the forum, the members . I much appreciate it.

Navi

mrdigital 05-20-2022 03:09 PM

Thanks Tech8 for the awesome procedure!!! The first reset option didn't work for me but the 2nd one worked flawlessly. I was able to get the motor reset and the moonroof closed. However after I'd tried operating it a few times after that, it locked up again and I went through the procedure again and was able to close it. So since it works with the switch while I'm resetting it, but then it fails after operating it a few times, is is that indicating the motor is failing since the switch seems to be working?